Why become a member? ×

Is this still classified as bass playing?

PawelG

While I'm not remotely against this style of playing, it just leaves me feeling a bit cold and empty. On the flipside, when I listen to Paul McCartney or James Jamerson work their magic lines, walking, melodic, intertwining and tasteful with every note in the right place at the right time, that is the definition of bass playing to me and elicits a far stronger sense of wonder. IMO etc

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1495281693' post='3302684']
While I'm not remotely against this style of playing, it just leaves me feeling a bit cold and empty. On the flipside, when I listen to Paul McCartney or James Jamerson work their magic lines, walking, melodic, intertwining and tasteful with every note in the right place at the right time, that is the definition of bass playing to me and elicits a far stronger sense of wonder. IMO etc
[/quote]

+1

There's no doubt that having that level of technical ability, or facility as it's sometimes called, must be useful in some musical situations, but probably not many.

And certainly not any that I might find myself in when I'm out gigging in the local pub with my covers band..

But having said that, I think that at the right time and in the right setting, punters do enjoy watching bass players who can play 'slap bass' really well because at it's best, it's fun to watch and can be good to dance to.

It sums up music perfectly to me, technically very impressive but leaves me cold and proves that complexity does not always equal quality. When I think of a lot of my favourite music it's very simple at heart, but it has 'something' that elevates it beyond a simple run of notes to my mind.

Edited by T-Bay

For me, it's just a (Pro) musician demoing a vendor Bass. Just part of the job discription
I take it for what it is, and that it is just a player improvising on the spot.
Some of it good, some a bit messy. No big deal, it works (IMO).

Actually, plenty of his YouTube Ensemble playing is good, in fact very good. He can certainly 'Groove' in a band situation.
On a couple of videos, his soloing seems on the money as well.
More than likely why he is an Endorsee (He knows what he is doing).
Good luck to the guy.
:)

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1495276559' post='3302632']
Just listened to the OP's link. Sounds like a bag of spanners being thrown down a fire escape.

I get that there is a lot going on but, for me, one of the most important apsects of bass in terms of groove is timbre/tone. If the timbre doesn't work, the notes can be absolutely correct and it still won't groove (think some of the early electric bass playing with big bands). This guys clanking and fret buzz is so distracting, it detracts
from his ideas. Is it bass playing? Of course it is. Is it good bass playing? Subjective.
[/quote]

I read the thread before I'd watched the video, and it kind of has less going on than I'd expected. His dexterity is impressive, he has some interesting enough rhythmic ideas, but harmonically it seems rather pedestrian - he's more or less bashing away at pentatonics over a pedal tone, and it doesn't do much dynamically either.
Now, I can't do what he does (before anyone asks), but I'd expect any advanced soloist on almost any instrument to do something more interesting than that. Though I've only watched this video - perhaps he pulls that out elsewhere...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1495276559' post='3302632']
Just listened to the OP's link. Sounds like a bag of spanners being thrown down a fire escape.

I get that there is a lot going on but, for me, one of the most important apsects of bass in terms of groove is timbre/tone. If the timbre doesn't work, the notes can be absolutely correct and it still won't groove (think some of the early electric bass playing with big bands). This guys clanking and fret buzz is so distracting, it detracts from his ideas. Is it bass playing? Of course it is. Is it good bass playing? Subjective.
[/quote]

I would have enjoyed what he was doing if he had a different sound. Like you say, there's far too much clank and high frequency noise, and low end rumble, and I miss the low rubbery mids that grab and shake you and leave your ears all sticky...

or something

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1495286051' post='3302715']
I think the guy plays well.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feICBWaxuhg[/media]
[/quote]

I like it.

Too bad there's not much of a market for this genre at the local level.These guys are headliners, big difference.

Blue