Why become a member? ×

Fun at The Bass Cellar

doctor_of_the_bass

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='314799' date='Oct 25 2008, 11:04 PM']For What Its Worth :) What he really needs to do though Ross is start selling 9 strings :huh:[/quote]
I think a new attitude is more called for....

But seriously John,IF you wandered into any shop regardless of product,and got that 'feeling' you'd probably search anywhere else for what you needed,rather than lay the Queens face on the counter!

I got it once in Barnstaple,as a result,I ALWAYS went to Exeter to buy anything (Mansons),at least I felt I was being treated as a valued customer,even if it was a book,cable,pedal...anything.

Nick, I wouldn't have said it under my breath, but then again I don't do subtlety or PC :)

1. Tell them firmly that they've obviously sold too many basses this month, then!

2. Wait until another potential customer comes in and loudly tell them (in front of the staff) that they shouldn't buy from the Cellar because the staff are rude & ignorant and know nothing about basses.

Rich.

The last time I went in there I asked the salesman what left handers he had in stock. There were a couple but was told to ask before trying one (fair enough). Then was told that left handed basses should never be produced and everyone from an early age should learn to play right handed or not play at all.... he was deadly serious. An exchange of words followed and I left a minute later.
Oh yeah, it was the bald guy with specs so tell him to STFU before he can get a word in. Before anyone gets offended, I sometimes wear specs and am slighlty receeding.

[quote name='ARGH' post='314896' date='Oct 26 2008, 08:55 AM']I think a new attitude is more called for....

But seriously John,IF you wandered into any shop regardless of product,and got that 'feeling' you'd probably search anywhere else for what you needed,rather than lay the Queens face on the counter!

I got it once in Barnstaple,as a result,I ALWAYS went to Exeter to buy anything (Mansons),at least I felt I was being treated as a valued customer,even if it was a book,cable,pedal...anything.[/quote]
Too right. I always get love from the places I shop :)

Conversely, I wonder how much cash Grant, Nick, Chris and Alex squeezed out of us at the (RIP) Wapping Bass Centre.
Odd that we were all on first name terms...

I still feel that I got excellent value and service there, and used to love every visit!
I also still own everything I bought there, so I must've goy something right!

I've yet to make it to the Gallery, but I feel sure that it'd be more the ticket.

Contrast this with the reception we got at Anderton's Music in Guildford the other day. "Good afternoon, how can I help you, what are you interested in?" We said we'd just come in for a look round as we were passing by, and were interested in guitars. "That's great come this way, here are the guitars, if you see anything you're interested in and want to try anything, give *so and so* (can't remember his name) a shout and he'll sort things out for you."

One the way out, he said 'thanks for coming in'! Brilliant, why would anyone bother to go to Denmark St.

Wasn't Denmark St due to disappear under 'Crossrail' or whatever it's called?

I don't mean to disagree with anything that's been said really but I have had good service in Denmark Street.

My son was looking for a Gibson Firebird and, of course, nowhere had one - except for Vintage and Rare. They were happy to chat and let him play for a good 40 minutes on a 1990 custom shop Firebird which was about twice the price he was going to pay. This was even though we'd made it clear we were not going to be buying anything. And this on a Saturday afternoon when they were quite busy.

So I think it's not everywhere in Denmark Street.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='314743' date='Oct 25 2008, 08:11 PM']I happened to be chatting in a fairly polite manner to one of the guys behind the counter - discussing said Aria, mentioned that I have a number of Arias in my posession; chap asks me how many basses I've got, he is told current number! Other ruder staff member then passes comment![/quote]
Sadly dissappointed in you Nick , with all your experience of bass and playing this guy is vauxhall conference league , you should've pointed to the most expensive bass in the shop lifted the cheapest and said "right short arse do your talking on the fretboard , lets have a BASSOFF "!

Failing that give him the Vinny stare and say "It's been emotional "!

Edited by blamelouis

Could it be that the guy was just trying to be friendly and making a joke?
If someone comes up to me and told me something i found amusing i would certainly make a joke or light hearted comment about it. Its a common thing in my world.

Seems to me its a sport around here to bash the BC. To me it looks like they only have to pronounce a word wrong for there to be a long thread about it. And yet people still go in there, its like they are looking for something to moan about (no offence meant to the OP)
I feel they really cant win around here and a lot of people here seem to just side with the OP's straight away.
Whats the big deal with the comment made? Was it said with venom? was it said in a nasty way? Bet it wasn't.

Just because he made that comment how do we know his Bass knowledge is lacking?

I slagged them off in the past due to one or two incidents but have had very good service from them (over the telephone at least) just recently. Had a chat about my needs and got some advice that i checked out and was true.

I'll wait to be banned from this thread now.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='314967' date='Oct 26 2008, 11:18 AM']I don't mean to disagree with anything that's been said really but I have had good service in Denmark Street.

My son was looking for a Gibson Firebird and, of course, nowhere had one - except for Vintage and Rare. They were happy to chat and let him play for a good 40 minutes on a 1990 custom shop Firebird which was about twice the price he was going to pay. This was even though we'd made it clear we were not going to be buying anything. And this on a Saturday afternoon when they were quite busy.

So I think it's not everywhere in Denmark Street.[/quote]
Yeah, it's definitely not everywhere. I went into the shop that had the sid vicious bass and the guy in there was very friendly and helpful and was just like "take a look around, if you wanna try anything out just let me know!", thoroughly nice guy.

[quote]Could it be that the guy was just trying to be friendly and making a joke?
If someone comes up to me and told me something i found amusing i would certainly make a joke or light hearted comment about it. Its a common thing in my world.

Seems to me its a sport around here to bash the BC. To me it looks like they only have to pronounce a word wrong for there to be a long thread about it. And yet people still go in there, its like they are looking for something to moan about (no offence meant to the OP)
I feel they really cant win around here and a lot of people here seem to just side with the OP's straight away.
Whats the big deal with the comment made? Was it said with venom? was it said in a nasty way? Bet it wasn't.

Just because he made that comment how do we know his Bass knowledge is lacking?

I slagged them off in the past due to one or two incidents but have had very good service from them (over the telephone at least) just recently. Had a chat about my needs and got some advice that i checked out and was true.

I'll wait to be banned from this thread now.[/quote]
I disagree. Some people, such as yourself, may have had good service there. But as you said it, you've had bad incidents there too, my point is, it shouldn't happen AT ALL... EVER. How can you expect to sell instruments by being rude to the customers?

I would like to go in there again with a big wad of cash next time i want to buy something, and when they're rude to me, i'll just wave the cash in front of their faces and tell them where to go and i'll go spend the money elsewhere. I'd just love to see the looks on their faces.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='314935' date='Oct 26 2008, 10:31 AM']Too right. I always get love from the places I shop :huh:[/quote]

[quote name='jerseytrev' post='314939' date='Oct 26 2008, 10:42 AM']so by his words hendrix should never have played guitar,paul mc should never have played bass. prat[/quote]

[quote name='jerseytrev' post='315050' date='Oct 26 2008, 01:41 PM']i was refering to the comment on left handers not being made !!!!!!!![/quote]
Ah - quoted the wrong post. Easy done :)

Hendrix did actually play right hand guitars left handed. And Macca used the Hofner fiddle bass so it would not look odd upside down. Lots of left handers play right handed instruments to save themselves a lifetime of problems finding the right instruments. Especially piano players :huh: :huh:

[quote name='budget bassist' post='315041' date='Oct 26 2008, 01:32 PM']I disagree. Some people, such as yourself, may have had good service there. But as you said it, you've had bad incidents there too, my point is, it shouldn't happen AT ALL... EVER. How can you expect to sell instruments by being rude to the customers?

I would like to go in there again with a big wad of cash next time i want to buy something, and when they're rude to me, i'll just wave the cash in front of their faces and tell them where to go and i'll go spend the money elsewhere. I'd just love to see the looks on their faces.[/quote]

Personally i dont think it was rude and i would have had a come back to it, but then i wasnt there. If you go in to a shop with an attitude (and im not saying you did but im sure you had an idea about what people think of that shop) then you probalby will be on your guard and we all know the BC is a very easy target. Walk out by all means and i wasnt really haveing a go at you for doing that, it was more the way everyone chips in with "brick the place" etc.
I find threads like this tend to escalate with people who werent there or have never even met these people giving opininons on everything form how they should die to whether his perents were married before he was born.
Im all for reading about good and bad shop staff but when it gets personal and i find it then looses the point.

I find you above post very childish though. so you expect people to be polite to you but you would go in to a shop with that attitiude. Im guessing you wouldnt really do that but im also guessing you would like to.

How about this. Dont go back there. That way you have the satifaction of not maiking them any profit.

This is just my opinion. I know im the only one with it so ill bow out of this.

Hope you get the bass you wanted at some point, It will help make up the numbers ;-)

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='314743' date='Oct 25 2008, 08:11 PM']I happened to be chatting in a fairly polite manner to one of the guys behind the counter - discussing said Aria, mentioned that I have a number of Arias in my posession; chap asks me how many basses I've got, he is told current number! Other ruder staff member then passes comment![/quote]

I'd have asked him if he liked losing sales...

I've done that before now in PC World and Currys when the staff haven't been fast enough in coming to my assistance or have given me stupid answers

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='315065' date='Oct 26 2008, 02:07 PM']Ah - quoted the wrong post. Easy done :)

Hendrix did actually play right hand guitars left handed. And Macca used the Hofner fiddle bass so it would not look odd upside down. Lots of left handers play right handed instruments to save themselves a lifetime of problems finding the right instruments. Especially piano players :huh: :huh:[/quote]

there is one left handed piano in existence...

[url="http://www.lefthandedpiano.co.uk/"]http://www.lefthandedpiano.co.uk/[/url]

I've just twigged that you all are talking about that Bass shop on Denmark St! I have to be honest and say that IME most of the shops on Denmark Street ( apart from the prices ) are actually OK in terms of the way the staff deal with customers. Apart from that bass shop, that is. They are actually worse than that place near Liverpool St. that closed down a while ago, and that really is quite some achievement. It's almost comedically bad.

I was in there the other day having a giggle at the prices of the second-hand stock when some guy came in and asked some question or other... can't remember exactly what... pretty average kind of question.... and the guy that answered honestly couldn't have been more haughty and puffed up if he'd tried. Amazing. Customer walks out, sales guys forget I'm stood behind the middle block of stuff, and the minute the guy is out of earshot start bitching about what a pillock that ( potential customer ) was - went on for about a minute. Be under no illusions - these guys do not like you - go somewhere else.

The place needs to go under, let some new folk have a try.

Pluck

Edited by sgt-pluck

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='315185' date='Oct 26 2008, 04:47 PM']Personally i dont think it was rude and i would have had a come back to it, but then i wasnt there. If you go in to a shop with an attitude (and im not saying you did but im sure you had an idea about what people think of that shop) then you probalby will be on your guard and we all know the BC is a very easy target. Walk out by all means and i wasnt really haveing a go at you for doing that, it was more the way everyone chips in with "brick the place" etc.
I find threads like this tend to escalate with people who werent there or have never even met these people giving opininons on everything form how they should die to whether his perents were married before he was born.
Im all for reading about good and bad shop staff but when it gets personal and i find it then looses the point.

I find you above post very childish though. so you expect people to be polite to you but you would go in to a shop with that attitiude. Im guessing you wouldnt really do that but im also guessing you would like to.

How about this. Dont go back there. That way you have the satifaction of not maiking them any profit.

Hope you get the bass you wanted at some point, It will help make up the numbers ;-)[/quote]

I happen to agree with you, FWIW. If we don't calm down there's gonna be a basschat lynch mob descending on the Bass Cellar soon lol!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='315185' date='Oct 26 2008, 04:47 PM']Personally i dont think it was rude and i would have had a come back to it, but then i wasnt there. If you go in to a shop with an attitude (and im not saying you did but im sure you had an idea about what people think of that shop) then you probalby will be on your guard and we all know the BC is a very easy target. Walk out by all means and i wasnt really haveing a go at you for doing that, it was more the way everyone chips in with "brick the place" etc.

Hope you get the bass you wanted at some point, It will help make up the numbers ;-)[/quote]
I wasn't the OP by the way, if that's what you think? And i'd never be rude to someone in a shop unless they were to me. I'd love to be able to go in there and be treated well and try some nice basses out and possibly buy one, have a good chat with the staff about gear and stuff and walk out of there thinking i was treated well and didn't feel obliged to buy anything necessarily like i do in so many other place, but that's not really going to happen, from what i've experienced there before. I'd just like to be as stuck up to them as they are to some of their potential customers because i don't think a lot of people stand up to them and tell them what they really think in case they come off as rude or something. Personally i think it's time that people start speaking their mind, people don't tend to do that a lot these days. What i said may have been slightly childish, but the way the staff in that shop is nothing but.

Edited by budget bassist

And it ain't just the bass cellar. Chandlers in Richmond about 5 years ago:

Me: I'm looking for a small amp to crank up.

Salesman: You should try a power attenuator.

Me: But I want a small amp.

Salesman: Yeah, yeah, but have you tried a power attenuator?

Me: Yes - I bought a Marshall Powerbrake.

Salesman. Huh! Why d'you buy one of those? Everybody knows they're totally useless. (Calls out to other assistant : "Hey, he's got a Powerbrake!" - Cue joint sniggering) So, who sold you that, then?

Me: You did, in here 3 years ago.

Edited by skankdelvar