Why become a member? ×

Fun at The Bass Cellar

doctor_of_the_bass

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1070804' date='Dec 28 2010, 10:40 AM']For every bass player here on Basschat (who therefore knows the truth about The Bass Cellar) there's another 50 or 100 who have never heard of Basschat and who assume that The Bass Cellar in Denmark Street is absolutely THE place to buy their gear.[/quote]

and therein lies the tragedy :)

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1070813' date='Dec 28 2010, 10:52 AM']As for shops in Denmark street, theres a new one on the far right hand side. They have a decent bass stock, when i went in there last month they had a '78 jazz and a gorgeous '64 p bass. V&R's stock was very thin on the ground though[/quote]

We were in there just before Christmas. They had a tele with a jazz neck that I had a go on. The staff were great. Very busy but polite. My friend played an amp with his own guitar and I think they have a sale there.

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1070744' date='Dec 28 2010, 08:34 AM']I walked out and went into Wunjos and had a good chat with the guy in there as well as trying out a 70's Fender P which did things to me that no woman could do! haha

Morale of the story? I hope Bass Cellar goes bankrupt! Bass Chat should take it over and start selling there :)[/quote]

Hope you had the courtesy to clean up after yourself. :)

I shall be having a look around there tomorrow,got a hankering for a Jaguar.

This kinda thing always annoys me.

Went into my local shop for a new bass about 5 years ago. Wanted a MM Stingray 4 so tried out a couple etc. etc. The guy "looking after" me then asked what sort of music I played. Upon receiving the answer he spent 40/50 minutes telling me why I shouldn't buy the stingray!! I hand't come in for advice I had come in to buy a bloody stingray (I had the cash in my pocket). Needless to say I got the stingray. From somewhere else.

I think the problem with most instrument shops is the staff know best. Better than you anyway lol :)

T

[quote name='BTS_Spacebass' post='1070863' date='Dec 28 2010, 11:51 AM']I think the problem with most instrument shops is the staff know best. Better than you anyway lol :)[/quote]

Having worked in an instrument shop, there's two sides to knowing best. The staff in the shop (especially in small shops) probably do know their stock better than you do, they spend all day with it. They also (probably) have more contact with musicians in relation to gear than you do.

What's important to remember though (as a member of staff in a shop) is that instruments are horses for courses and just because I think Thumbs make great rock basses, it doesn't mean the next person wants that sound. Giving someone advice when they ask for it or nudging someone to at least look at something else before they buy expensive gear is the responsible thing to do IMO. Letting someone spend thousands without looking at other options is a bit silly. Though if someone has their heart set on something, it's equally stupid to try and talk them out of it (from a business perspective, probably stupider).

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1071000' date='Dec 28 2010, 02:56 PM']Having worked in an instrument shop, there's two sides to knowing best. The staff in the shop (especially in small shops) probably do know their stock better than you do, they spend all day with it. They also (probably) have more contact with musicians in relation to gear than you do.

What's important to remember though (as a member of staff in a shop) is that instruments are horses for courses and just because I think Thumbs make great rock basses, it doesn't mean the next person wants that sound. Giving someone advice when they ask for it or nudging someone to at least look at something else before they buy expensive gear is the responsible thing to do IMO. Letting someone spend thousands without looking at other options is a bit silly. Though if someone has their heart set on something, it's equally stupid to try and talk them out of it (from a business perspective, probably stupider).[/quote]

+100000000000

The internet is for people who think they know best or have their heart set on a certain instrument/pedal/amp etc.

If I know I want a specific piece of gear (an acoustic guitar for example) but I'm unsure of whether I'm right or don't know of many alternatives, then I go into a shop in search of the expertise and experience they have with the gear and because I'm happy to pay a tad more in the hope that I get what I'm looking for.

Alternatively, if I want something that I've tried a million times and I'm sure I want, I just get online and have it sent straight to my front door. Simple.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1071022' date='Dec 28 2010, 03:29 PM']Never mind the shortcomings or otherwise of the Bass Cellar's salespeople. It's just too bloody cramped. Any more than 3 punters in the shop and it's like a complicated 18th century dance. How do you try out a rig while standing in a 2 foot wide gangway?

Ghastly place.[/quote]

In fairness, Paul, they've moved things around a bit and it's much better these days.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1071025' date='Dec 28 2010, 03:33 PM']In fairness, Paul, they've moved things around a bit and it's much better these days.[/quote]
Fair do's. I've not been in for a while. Strike the cramped comment :)

[quote name='bassace' post='1071043' date='Dec 28 2010, 03:52 PM']If someone told me he had 57 basses I'm not sure what my reply would be.[/quote]
I'd have to ask if they'd ever worked with Heinz

[size=1]Whenever I'm sad, whenever I'm blue
Whenever my troubles are heavy
Beneath the stars I play my guitar
Just like Eddie[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1070804' date='Dec 28 2010, 10:40 AM']For every bass player here on Basschat (who therefore knows the truth about The Bass Cellar) there's another 50 or 100 who have never heard of Basschat and who assume that The Bass Cellar in Denmark Street is absolutely THE place to buy their gear.[/quote]

Maybe there is a whole market of rich masochistic bass players who look forward to their fix of abuse and bass buying as the high point of their lives.

[quote name='ezbass' post='1070850' date='Dec 28 2010, 11:41 AM']Stay on the Northern Line until Camden Town and go to The Gallery, problem sorted.[/quote]

Won't have time for that but I shall definately look in Wunjos as in the past I've only ever experienced courteousy and helpfulness in there
even though I've not wanted to buy at the time.
One of the best shops in the area.
Must say I've found Macaris to always be helpful.

Past experience of the bass cellar left me feeling akin to that woman in Harry Enfield sketches of the shop that sells sh*t for stupid prices but without the laughs.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1071230' date='Dec 28 2010, 08:23 PM']I've not contributed to this thread before, but as a bass salesman, is this shop as bad as it's really made out? :)[/quote]

Ive had a couple of funny experiences over the years but i have been happy to buy gear from them and the last time i was in there, just under a year ago, the guy couldn't do enough for me, even though he was busy.

As a bass salesman would you ignore people as they came into your shop - preferring to facebook on the computer instead? I suppose you would if you hated money and people? (not you specifically of course)..

Mark

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1071230' date='Dec 28 2010, 08:23 PM']I've not contributed to this thread before, but as a bass salesman, is this shop as bad as it's really made out? :)[/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' post='1071238' date='Dec 28 2010, 08:28 PM']As a bass salesman would you ignore people as they came into your shop - preferring to facebook on the computer instead? I suppose you would if you hated money and people? (not you specifically of course)..

Mark[/quote]

To me it sounds like inexperienced and underpaid staff or long-in-the-tooth cynical ones.

I would never treat customers like that.

[quote name='markstuk' post='1071238' date='Dec 28 2010, 08:28 PM']As a bass salesman would you ignore people as they came into your shop - preferring to facebook on the computer instead? I suppose you would if you hated money and people? (not you specifically of course)..

Mark[/quote]

I much prefer to be left alone when i go in to a shop so i can look around without any hassle. If i want some help i can go and ask.

I find these negative posts a bit much some times, if they are rubbish then they will ulitmately pay for that. The coment the other day about the bass direct guy should ever have been posted. Come on guys we all have good and bad experiences but it might be an idea in dealing with them directly instead of possibly badly affecting someones lively hood. And no I don't work at the bass cellar!

On the other hand, cheers guys I don't think I will bother popping into the bass cellar when next in the big smoke! :)

[quote name='patch006' post='1071271' date='Dec 28 2010, 09:08 PM']I find these negative posts a bit much some times, if they are rubbish then they will ulitmately pay for that. The coment the other day about the bass direct guy should ever have been posted. Come on guys we all have good and bad experiences but it might be an idea in dealing with them directly instead of possibly badly affecting someones lively hood. And no I don't work at the bass cellar!

On the other hand, cheers guys I don't think I will bother popping into the bass cellar when next in the big smoke! :)[/quote]

Why's that? If someone's had a negative experience of somewhere, other people should know.

That thread the other day on BD may have looked bad in the first post, but it's actually a showcase of the good service Mark has given people. The couple of negative points in there (one of them mine) were obviously shown to be in the minority. Anyone who thinks that every shop should have perfect customer service 100% of the time with no errors needs to get their heads out of the clouds. It's far better that a post like that comes up and the shop's proven instead of the OP continuing to harbour a misconception.

I bought an ex demo EBS combo from them a few months ago & they were fantastic. The one I'd been going to buy got sold whilst I was dithering & they got another one from another shop for me & even knocked another £100.00 off what was already a great price. I found them to be very helpful & very friendly.