Why become a member? ×

Which Tuner?

phil_the_bassist

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='326456' date='Nov 11 2008, 03:00 AM']I've got the same one, but the fascia on mine has a habit of rotating, which means the blanking sheet doesn't match up with the LEDs - very confusing when it says you're tuned to P...[/quote]

I play in that key all the time! :)

[quote name='johnnylager' post='314716' date='Oct 25 2008, 07:22 PM']f*** it, I'm selling the TU-2 and getting a Pitchblack - check [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnosoyhQaHs"]this[/url] out :)[/quote]

This video has persuaded me to get the PitchBlack for my new pedal board that's in the works!

Hey!

Just thought I would add... I have just treated myself to a Korg PitchBlack. I am REALLY impressed! It even tuned up my dull low [b]F#[/b] on my 7 string bass with out flapping all over the place like every other tuner I have tried (with the exception of the Peterson..which was soooo sensitive!!) Very well built and the options/modes that it includes make it a must for any musician's tool box.

Thanks for all the useful info about pedal tuners. I'm about to upgrade from a small handheld jobby to a pedal tuner. From all the good things i've heard here, i'm going to plump for the PitchBlack over the TU-2 i've been craving for. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can tune other instruments from it (specifically mandolin?). Looking at the range it can handle (E0-C8) i can't see it being a problem but i just thought i'd ask.

I've just recently got a Peterson Strobostomp doo-dah, and yeah its all-singing all-dancing, but in all honesty I don't really like it.
I can't get used to the up/down lines instead of side to side, and it actually seems a bit too fiddly for my savage bass playing needs.
I'm gonna give it some time though and see how I get on with it, but if not then i'm gonna buy one of them Pitchblack+ tuners, I saw one a few weeks ago at a gig and thought it was knightrider-tastic.

[quote name='rasher80' post='332232' date='Nov 19 2008, 12:53 PM']Thanks for all the useful info about pedal tuners. I'm about to upgrade from a small handheld jobby to a pedal tuner. From all the good things i've heard here, i'm going to plump for the PitchBlack over the TU-2 i've been craving for. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can tune other instruments from it (specifically mandolin?). Looking at the range it can handle (E0-C8) i can't see it being a problem but i just thought i'd ask.[/quote]

I reckon it would have no problems, as it is a full chromatic tuner.. though you'd have to plug the mandolin in to the pedal and use some sort of pickup.

[quote name='BassJase' post='332349' date='Nov 19 2008, 02:48 PM']I've just recently got a Peterson Strobostomp doo-dah, and yeah its all-singing all-dancing, but in all honesty I don't really like it.
I can't get used to the up/down lines instead of side to side, and it actually seems a bit too fiddly for my savage bass playing needs.
I'm gonna give it some time though and see how I get on with it, but if not then i'm gonna buy one of them Pitchblack+ tuners, I saw one a few weeks ago at a gig and thought it was knightrider-tastic.[/quote]

I have to say that the PitchBlack is very good indeed. The TU-2 wavers much more when trying to pitch my open low F#. I think the Korg look much nicer too! heh heh!

Cheers Dood, much appreciated. The mando is electro-acoustic so it should be good to go.

One last question RE: the PitchBlack - is the switch quite sturdy? i prefer the feel of the switch of the Boss pedals, plus the switch went on my USA Big Muff twice in the space of a year and it's the same type as on the PB.

Still gonna buy one though, i'll jsut be a bit weird cos it's not Boss!

[quote name='rasher80' post='333885' date='Nov 21 2008, 02:50 PM']Cheers Dood, much appreciated. The mando is electro-acoustic so it should be good to go.

One last question RE: the PitchBlack - is the switch quite sturdy? i prefer the feel of the switch of the Boss pedals, plus the switch went on my USA Big Muff twice in the space of a year and it's the same type as on the PB.

Still gonna buy one though, i'll jsut be a bit weird cos it's not Boss![/quote]

Yeah, the switch seems like it will take a serious beating! Should be fine.

Another vote for the Korg Pitchblack. I got the Pitchblack+ 4 weeks ago and I am very impressed with it, great piece of kit. I tried the guitarists TU-2 pedal before I got the Korg, and I did not think that it was particularly good with the bass.

I also find the built in tuner on my Line6 Bass Pod XT Live very good and precise. I am also very fond of my TU-12 which I got second hand in 1985, and is still working fine, but no good with a low B.

Edited by baixo

• 1 month later...

I just got one of these, an Ibanez LU20. I tried to get a Korg Pitchblack, but my local shop and the online retailer I tried couldn't get one until February. I got fed up waiting, went to another local shop and got this. Only tried it at home so far, but seems pretty good on first go. Metal body, plastic pedal, seems quite tough. True bypass, easy to use. None of the fancy selectable displays like the Korg, doesn't look as cool, but does the job. Only downside is that it isn't the same shape as your average pedal, so probably wouldn't fit in an effects rack, but I don't have one so I'm not bothered. Gets excellent reviews on Harmony Central. Cost me £42. Edited by Deep Thought

[quote name='baixo' post='334022' date='Nov 21 2008, 06:06 PM']Another vote for the Korg Pitchblack. I got the Pitchblack+ 4 weeks ago and I am very impressed with it, great piece of kit. I tried the guitarists TU-2 pedal before I got the Korg, and I did not think that it was particularly good with the bass.

I also find the built in tuner on my Line6 Bass Pod XT Live very good and precise. I am also very fond of my TU-12 which I got second hand in 1985, and is still working fine, but no good with a low B.[/quote]

I have owned both a POD XT and POD XT live and the tuner wouldn't handle anything below low B.

• 1 month later...

Just sold my Behirnger BTR2000 with the rest of my rack gear and bought and Pitchblack. It arrived today and I used it tonight at band practice.

It's nice :rolleyes:

Has 4 different screen/tuning modes, but cant get the hang of stobe so I'll stick with a the regular needle style tuning mode.

(Only downside is that it doesn't let you tune as you play :) )

Edited by jim_bass

I got a Korg DTR [b]2[/b]000 from Music King for £123 new.

I only got the 2000 cos it was as cheap there as some other places were doing the dtr1000.

It tracks really well. I've been running it after my compressor in line so as to use its mute functionality when tuning.

Does what it says on the tin frankly....

Considering a tuner is THE most important device you can own I've tried a few.

Had a TU-2 for years, not bad but does affect tone. Accuracy wise is great, all the guitar and bass tech's I see coming through the MEN Arena use them so they can't be bad! Also has a disco mode where you hold stream/cent when you plug in, always nice!

Planet Waves - avoid. Feels sturdy I know, but that battery catch/button will break sooner than you think. A buddy had one for one gig and his broke tuning up between songs. He's 5'7" and weighs about 9 stone so he's not a heavy kicker. Now it won't turn on.

Pitchblack/most Korgs - brilliant.

I use a DTR-2, which is the equivalent of a DTR1000 these days. Still not sure if it sucks tone, I can't pick anything out when AB'ing it.

Peterson - brilliant if you have the cash.