Why become a member? ×

Why would anyone want to be the bass player in an indie band?

Barking Spiders

Oops, accidentally deleted my OP. Rather than write it all over again the nub of it is that BBC6 Music Festival just gone was heavily weighted towards indie guitar bands Is the phrase landfill indie a thing of the past cos it shouldn't be. How large chunks of the audience were getting excited by the likes of Grandaddy, The Shins and Ride beats me as they all look similar, sound the same, have no stage presence, no songs as such and are uniformly dreary. And why anyone would wanna play bass in an indie band beats me as it's all seems to be about picking 8ths on the root while gazing at the back of the hall.

Edited by Barking Spiders

This shoe gazing drull kind of Indie is not my thing at all. I don't like it very much and find the just playing the 8 notes type of thing musically uninspiring to play or listen to especially when accompanying very under accomplished musicians who are indifferent to any thing that requires musical substance. Or can I say, learning how to play an instrument beyond anything remedial level because you just aint got it or usually from experience ..are a stoner.

Its very rare that any of it is IMO good .Its like they all think they are the first one to come up with the same dull song idea. Which is true of other musical styles, fair enough but at least I can get into the other styles.

I have to admit however I've been a musical prostitute and done many a paid gig to encourage this kind of behaviour. I'd never do it for the love of it though when it comes to this IMO dross.

Peace to anyone who likes this stuff though. Just saying it doesn't float my boat either.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1490612220' post='3266355']
This shoe gazing drull kind of Indie is not my thing at all. I don't like it very much and find the just playing the 8 notes type of thing musically uninspiring to play or listen to especially when accompanying very under accomplished musicians who are indifferent to any thing that requires musical substance. Or can I say, learning how to play an instrument beyond anything remedial level because you just aint got it or usually from experience ..are a stoner.

Its very rare that any of it is IMO good .Its like they all think they are the first one to come up with the same dull song idea. Which is true of other musical styles, fair enough but at least I can get into the other styles.

I have to admit however I've been a musical prostitute and done many a paid gig to encourage this kind of behaviour. I'd never do it for the love of it though when it comes to this IMO dross.

Peace to anyone who likes this stuff though. Just saying it doesn't float my boat either.
[/quote]

That's the sort of statement made by someone who has yet to learn the difference between musicianship and music, and why for everyone except self-involved musicians the latter is far more important.

I play bass in an indie band.

Yes an 80s misery indie band...

I love it despite much of our live set being the same songs we were playing 30 years ago!
We are still writing although not prolifically - we've been telling the world we're writing the current album for 7 years!!

Why do I do it?
I love spending time with my band mates on weekends away where people actually seem to like what we do/did.....this weekend we're playing 2 shows in Italy.

I don't listen to our stuff when I'm not playing it though.

There's a lot more to the gigging than just the playing - a lot of the playing can be quite dull.....after all many of the songs were written before any of us could play much - not that we're virtuoso these days.
The reaction of the audience who seem to have placed us on some kind of pedestal makes it worthwhile.

It's a buzz.
Addictive.

I like it. I'll be the first to admit indie music rarely showcases huge individual musical talent (though I would say there are some exceptions, Thom Yorke, Guy Garvey, Alex Turner to name some well known ones) but that's not what it is about. Things would be even duller if we all liked the same.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490612381' post='3266359']
That's the sort of statement made by someone who has yet to learn the difference between musicianship and music, and why for everyone except self-involved musicians the latter is far more important.
[/quote]
Mr BigRedX

I think its ok for me to not like this kind of music and its ok for you love it. I dont like it for very specific reasons. It doesn't move me at all. That doesn't mean anyone else isn't allowed to like it nor does it mean anyone cant possibly like it but I don't think it gives you any foundation to judge my musical abilities or what I do or don't "yet need to learn" thank you very much.
I'm sure there are things on my musical radar that would make you vomit but I would never judge you for it.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1490615527' post='3266406']
Mr BigRedX

I think its ok for me to not like this kind of music and its ok for you love it. I dont like it for very specific reasons. It doesn't move me at all. That doesn't mean anyone else isn't allowed to like it nor does it mean anyone cant possibly like it but I don't think it gives you any foundation to judge my musical abilities or what I do or don't "yet need to learn" thank you very much.
I'm sure there are things on my musical radar that would make you vomit but I would never judge you for it.
[/quote]

You actually dismissed it as remedial, apparently due to drug use. That isn't the same as simply not liking it. Anyway, whatever 'drull' means, if you want to take a pop at shoegaze bands, Kevin Shields is one of the most influential and innovative guitar players of the last 30 years. I think you've misnamed your target.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1490617138' post='3266430']
I guess it would depend on how one defines indie. Its like saying why would anyone play classic rock. There's good and bad examples of both.
[/quote]

Exactly this.

In all genres there are songs I love and songs I hate. Pick out all the stuff that appeals to you from various genres and suddenly no one specific genre is dull.

to those saying 'because they want to' yeah well, that's obvious. it's just that none of the bassists nor the rest of the players looked like they were having much fun unlike say the blokes in Songhoy Blues. Maybe I just dont get all this thing about looking nonchalant and not engaging with the crowds

Edited by Barking Spiders

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1490618491' post='3266453']
to those saying 'because they want to' yeah well, that's obvious. it's just that none of the bassists nor the rest of the players looked like they were having much fun unlike say the blokes in Songhoy Blues. Maybe I just dont get all this thing about looking nonchalant and not engaging with the crowds
[/quote] A bit like John Entwhistle?

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1490618427' post='3266451']
I particularly liked Neds Atomic Dustbin
[/quote]

People wanted to play bass in that band so badly they had two of them.
Must have been alright.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1490618491' post='3266453']
Maybe I just dont get all this thing about looking nonchalant and not engaging with the crowds
[/quote]

There was this one guy who went by the name of Miles Davis. I can't remember which Indie band it was he played in but I heard that he behaved like that too. Dreadful musician, could barely play a note.

every human being has different taste in music , you can t judge a bass player just cause plays in a indie band .
if they are where they are in the music industry its because they are good at what they do .
i played in a indie folk band for years and was really fun , tour the world etc.... now sat in my living room playing to my self.
there are other musical abilities involved in a indie band apart from playing bass