Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

What I want to know is... why is Japan hoarding all the old school BBs on eBay?

Yeah defo... There seems to be loads on eBay in Japan

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186118670344?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=VLVxzDI0Swq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=lJ1Rek1MRRG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Mentioned a few months back that I'd been thinking of replacing the stock preamp on my Yamaha BB 2005. Partly 'cos it felt a little "tired" but also because I was making zero use of the Nathan East ('NE') mid-cut on it. Ended up going for an Aguilar OBP-3 with a push-pull mid frequency selector, which gives a choice of 400Hz or 800Hz for the mids: the former seems to give more mid punch; the latter is "sweeter" tonally. Early days, but I think I'm liking it.

I've gotten so used to either leaving the bass EQ flat or cutting it slightly, that it was a surprise to find that I'm really liking giving the bass EQ a slight boost, which seems to add a real weight to the low end, without being boomy - but that's maybe the combination of having an HPF built into my Zoom B1-4 patches to cut out low end "crud".

As the NE selector switch was going spare, I asked Gary Mac of this parish who was doing the work on it, to make use of it as an active/passive switch which will give me added peace of mind if the battery ever goes flat mid gig.

Gave it a spin last Thursday night down at Kingston market with the band - was a fun gig!

KingstonMktI.thumb.png.010bb2877f0b89aba12ebe7472bdab7d.png

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 8

Took the 414 to rehearsal last night.

I need to spend some money on a fret dress and full set up, forgot how much I loved its overall sound.

plays “ok” but I’ve had it better - noticed a bit of uneven buzz/choke on d string when saddles etc are all set correctly. 

But it’s very cool, and I’ve had it 7 years or so.

• Like 3

I took my 414 (which did a tour of duty as Jam Night Open Use Bass for most of this year) to Matt Ryan up my neck of the woods, and he did a great job on it, he also did a more comprehensive job bringing my headless 1985 Westone Quantum back to life...I use the 414 and the Quantum for 90% of gigs these days, tho that's as much influenced by the gigs (unknown pubs/denizens, usually very tight spaces) as anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are (Japanese) family.

1978 BB1000

1978 BB1200 Fretless

1985? (not sure) BB400s Fretless

1984 BB Vis.

I also have a really nice 414 and a battered and abused 614...

Some people have a crack habit. I have a bad BB habit...

The first two are unbelievably great instruments. The 1000 has a replacement bridge as the original snapped in half! How? I have no idea. It came with that and the replacement gotoh which to be honest is a better bridge. I have the original black pickguard but I like the replacement. This bass has seen some action but it's just lovely. The 1200 is a lined fretless which I've only just acquired. I'm not sure if they did a factory lined fretless but the job that's been done is perfect and it wouldn't surprise me if that was a custom option. It's bee in a case for 30 years but will get an outing next week at a gig.

The 400s is good but weighs as much as a horse. It could use a bridge pickup imo. The medium scale BBVis sounds tremendous and is mint condition with original hard case. I still find it a bit odd playing a medium scale after a 34". It does have a little bit of neck dive which I've never experienced with a BB.

PXL_20231203_083332252.jpg

• Like 9

I’m so surprised by this BB734A, gutted I didn’t go for it straight away instead of the Schecter p4 exotic. It’s the perfect sound for what I need, so punchy and feels great to play.

My only criticism is that it’s not as comfy (for me) to sit and play compared to Jazz or Warwick style basses.

Definitely want to pick up a 1024x at some point, gonna get saving!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

PS anyone got/had a Revstar? Would like a new guitar at some point and they look great, it’s between that or a Peavy T-60 if I can find a reasonable price for it. 

Picked up a Revstar RSS02T for £469 last week. It’s the perfect guitar for me. Had a revstar first generation too before and that was also good.

• Like 1

There's a green 1200s lefty for sale on Facebook that has been attacked with a sander, poor thing.

An absolute shame as looking at the sellers previous posts on the vintage yamaha group it was in really good nick six years ago when he bought it, then three months later he was claiming the wear was 100% natural. 

Natural if you use it to test out power tools I suppose. 

FB_IMG_1701715506653.thumb.jpg.964c4224de9ea1f5b9246afa16d18f0c.jpg

Edited by Maude
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

On 03/12/2023 at 12:20, Folkesy said:

Picked up a Revstar RSS02T for £469 last week. It’s the perfect guitar for me. Had a revstar first generation too before and that was also good.

Thats an excellent price, I really like the look of them aside from the rich mahogany red on the rear of the body/neck. From all the demos I’ve heard they sound incredible too.

I’ve got this monstrosity which is absolutely knackered. A Yamaha RGX612a (I think) that got given years ago. The threading on the locking nut and trem are totally shot so it’s a floaty untunable mess. Kind of tempted to strip out the hardware, fill the bridge area in and replace with a hardtail. It’s got a heap of mojo and despite it’s tuning issues plays brilliantly 😂

IMG_4985.thumb.jpeg.a400c4277fb8d4d6742ad9cc716fe933.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maude said:

There's a green 1200s lefty for sale on Facebook that has been attacked with a sander, poor thing.

An absolute shame as looking at the sellers previous posts on the vintage yamaha group it was in really good nick six years ago when he bought it, then three months later he was claiming the wear was 100% natural. 

Natural if you use it to test out power tools I suppose. 

FB_IMG_1701715506653.thumb.jpg.964c4224de9ea1f5b9246afa16d18f0c.jpg

How much is it? Worth rescuing and making look beautiful?

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

How much is it? Worth rescuing and making look beautiful?

The seller hasn't put forward a price yet but he's not to be trusted anyway. Someone question the 'wear', or more accurately asked, "Has it had sex with a belt sander?" The seller replied that he bought it like that. 

His post history on the group shows he bought it in 2017 in good condition, then three months later he posted pictures of it looking like this, three years later claimed the wear was genuine when asked about it. 

Basically it being a lefty, the seller being a liar, and that it's in Africa makes me run faster and further than Forest Gump. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maude said:

Basically it being a lefty, the seller being a liar, and that it's in Africa makes me run faster and further than Forest Gump. 

Just as well it's in Africa, otherwise I'd be tempted to hunt the seller down and apply a belt sander to , oh use your imaginations!

• Haha 1

On 22/11/2023 at 18:41, AndyTravis said:

Took the 414 to rehearsal last night.

I need to spend some money on a fret dress and full set up, forgot how much I loved its overall sound.

plays “ok” but I’ve had it better - noticed a bit of uneven buzz/choke on d string when saddles etc are all set correctly. 

But it’s very cool, and I’ve had it 7 years or so.

Matching 5 string @AndyTravis?

https://bassbros.co.uk/product/yamaha-bb415-2/