Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 26/05/2023 at 17:51, Hawk600 said:

Hey guys,

I currently own a BB434 and a BB714 BS and love both, but I would like to hear your for feedback on purchasing a 1024x versus a 734A. 

I found a used 1024X for similar price of a new 734A, and the 734A is basically the same as the 434 except the preamp and a few tweaks, so thinking that a 1024x would make more sense.

What I wanted in fact was to buy a used BBP34 (because the new is too expensive) but they are non-existent where I live so I am thinking the 1024X would be a good mid ground option.

What would you do?

Thanks!

The 1024x has got a more distinctive tone than the 734a, to my ears anyway. The 734 is a essentially a generic active PJ. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but the 1024x has got a unique sound that no other bass on the market can replicate.

For what it's worth, I can't think of another bass that sounds like the P34 either. The 1024x has got a lush bottom end and sounds like an active bass in certain respects. The P34 by way of contrast, sounds notably lean and precise, but not in a bad way.  

I don't think you will go far wrong with either. I like the 1024x in so much as I love the 2024x that it's based on, but the P34 sounds great too. Plus it's a Japanese-made Yamaha and that means a superb quality instrument that will last a lifetime.  

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 2

On 29/04/2023 at 17:00, TheGreek said:

I have two currently.  Really nice basses which punch well above their price point. 

Hi Greek,

As you've had experience with these basses, maybe you could solve an issue for me.

Mine has developed a slight crackling noise whenever a note is played. Its almost like you can hear it in the background, but it is noticable. Do these basses have issues with the pre-amp or the pickups that might cause this? I've used contact cleaner on everything and replaced the battery, I've also tried two different amps and a handful of cables, but the problem persists.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

None of this feels familiar of any of the three that I have owned. 

Your issue sounds like an earthing problem to me but I am far from an expert. I'm sure that a more learned opinion can be found amongst the BC membership. 

Hope that the issue doesn't impact on your enjoyment of what, IMO, is a very versatile bass.

• Thanks 1

On 26/05/2023 at 17:51, Hawk600 said:

Hey guys,

I currently own a BB434 and a BB714 BS and love both, but I would like to hear your for feedback on purchasing a 1024x versus a 734A. 

I found a used 1024X for similar price of a new 734A, and the 734A is basically the same as the 434 except the preamp and a few tweaks, so thinking that a 1024x would make more sense.

What I wanted in fact was to buy a used BBP34 (because the new is too expensive) but they are non-existent where I live so I am thinking the 1024X would be a good mid ground option.

What would you do?

Thanks!

Personally I'd go for the 1024. But it really depends on what you're after, comparing active with passive. I can't explain but to me the 1024 feels more like a 'real' bass, but that said I sold my 1024 and kept my 734a, but only because I wanted the active circuit. The passive need was supplied by my 424, which having had irreversible surgery had lessened it's retail value. 

I suppose a real comparison would be the 734a in passive mode compared to the 1024, which I feel the 1024 wins hands down, but if you want active then there can only be one winner. 

I think @Misdeehit the nail on the head with the comment on character, the 1024 has it's own tone whereas the 734a is a tad generic. They are both great basses in their own right though.

So, a P34 it is then. 😁 But then you have the P34 vs 2024 comparison. 

5 hours ago, Grassie said:

Hi Greek,

As you've had experience with these basses, maybe you could solve an issue for me.

Mine has developed a slight crackling noise whenever a note is played. Its almost like you can hear it in the background, but it is noticable. Do these basses have issues with the pre-amp or the pickups that might cause this? I've used contact cleaner on everything and replaced the battery, I've also tried two different amps and a handful of cables, but the problem persists.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

I had this issue with a sire p7 bass on the p pickup.. it turned out to be a bad solder connection.. bit of soldering fixed it..

However it's now developed the same thing on the j pickup 🙄

Haven't got round to sorting it yet.

Maybe try (very carefully) wiggling some bits like pickup wires in the control cavity while playing 🤔

I take no responsibility for "over" wiggling

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tjhooker said:

I had this issue with a sire p7 bass on the p pickup.. it turned out to be a bad solder connection.. bit of soldering fixed it..

However it's now developed the same thing on the j pickup 🙄

Haven't got round to sorting it yet.

Maybe try (very carefully) wiggling some bits like pickup wires in the control cavity while playing 🤔

I take no responsibility for "over" wiggling

That actually makes a lot of sense, as I recently screwed the pickups down a bit more as they were a little high. Thanks man! 😊

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2023 at 17:46, Eldon Tyrell said:

BB fans, I guess anyone who wants a BBP34 should quickly buy one as the new MK II (two existing finishes plus two new finishes - moonlight blue and vintage white. Not sure if there are any other differences between MKI and II) comes with a hefty price tag - £2.5k. I mean, really? The now "old" MKI can still be purchased for £1.6k/£1.5k. Crazy times 😞

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/yamaha-bbp34-mij-bass-guitar-in-midnight-blue    

Peach have the MK II at £1675 and GAK are advertising at £1750. Still not cheap but will last a lifetime (perhaps less value for someone of my advanced years).

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, pn_day said:

Where did you get it? Import from Japan? Very nice indeed

Thanks! Local sale, actually a 4-hour roundtrip. Seller was a very nice gentleman, ex-pro musician who had bought it off the original owner in 1982, played it professionally for 10+ years and apparently forgotten about owning it for the next 30 years. 😆

Original case, original truss rod wrench. A set of well-played flatwounds on - possibly more than 30 years old, still holding their tuning and intonation and sounding perfectly fine, so they went back on after proper cleaning. Sadly, the funky little tuner adjusting tool is missing. But, the seller threw in a perfectly functioning MIJ Boss OC-2 instead!  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gramski said:

Peach have the MK II at £1675 and GAK are advertising at £1750. Still not cheap but will last a lifetime (perhaps less value for someone of my advanced years).

Thanks! The BBP34 is still on my watchlist. Don't see any difference between the MKI and II apart from the two new finishes.
The cheapest P34 (MK I) I could find online costs £1549. Pretty tempting.

https://www.mannsmusic.co.uk/guitars/bass-guitars/yamaha-bbp34-midnight-blue-electric-bass-guitar.htm 

Although, I guess I could just get a 434 (in my fav metallic red colour!) and, if necessary, just change the pickups (I read that some found them a bit dull sounding). For my purposes, it is probably just fine. Do I really need to spend £1k more? Wait, I start questioning my bass buying habits? On BC? Blasphemy! 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Although, I guess I could just get a 434 (in my fav metallic red colour!) and, if necessary, just change the pickups (I read that some found them a bit dull sounding). For my purposes, it is probably just fine. Do I really need to spend £1k more? Wait, I start questioning my bass buying habits? On BC? Blasphemy! 😉 

Thanks for the Aftershock; it fits in neatly alongside my Atlas and Gemini and BB PH. 

How much per month is that “£1000 more” over 10 years? A little more than £8 per month? Sounds like a bargain 😎

On 13/05/2023 at 19:56, neepheid said:

Not me - only interested in reverse P BBs now.  However, seeing the 414 did give me half an idea to look for a 424X so there's a pickguard to hide the P pickup reversal...

6 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Same here....

@AndyTravisput a pickguard on his orange 414 which looked fantastic.

No reason you couldn't reverse the pickup on a 414 and do that.

I've reversed the pickup on my 424x. A straight reversal puts the pickup right on the edge of the standard pickguard. I moved it slightly neckwards and put an exaggerated curve in the pickguard to make it visually right. 

If anyone wants a template just shout. 

I'm considering doing the same to my 734a and making a pickguard more like the old 70s BB1000 etc with the pointed bottom edge. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Maude said:

@AndyTravisput a pickguard on his orange 414 which looked fantastic.

No reason you couldn't reverse the pickup on a 414 and do that.

I've reversed the pickup on my 424x. A straight reversal puts the pickup right on the edge of the standard pickguard. I moved it slightly neckwards and put an exaggerated curve in the pickguard to make it visually right. 

If anyone wants a template just shout. 

I'm considering doing the same to my 734a and making a pickguard more like the old 70s BB1000 etc with the pointed bottom edge. 

The BB1000 / BB800 pickguard is beautiful. If somebody made them, tailored to fit the latest series BB’s, I would buy two right away. 

• Like 1

Any well known or respected pro players out there regularly using a P34/35 as their main instrument? 

I can only think of the Stereophonics bass player off the top of my head. 

On 20/05/2023 at 22:37, Al Krow said:

Am thinking about upgrading the preamp on my BB2005, which is feeling a little tired on what is, otherwise, a great bass.

Any of you swapped out the preamp on your active Yamahas and could recommend me something that worked well?

Guys - just giving my earlier post a little bump - have any of you fellow BB owners ever replaced / upgraded the preamp on an active BB? Appreciate that a lot of the range is purely passive!

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Guys - just giving my earlier post a little bump - have any of you fellow BB owners ever replaced / upgraded the preamp on an active BB? Appreciate that a lot of the range is purely passive!

What does “a little tired” mean, what do you look for in a good on board preamp? What (if any) extra control do you want? what preamps have you liked in the past and why? 

16 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

What does “a little tired” mean, what do you look for in a good on board preamp? What (if any) extra control do you want? what preamps have you liked in the past and why? 

Thanks Luke - I love the preamps on both my Elrick and Spectors, but they're quite different so it's not a specific sound I'm looking for. But actually you've got me thinking that the BB 2005 does actually benefit from, and pair really well, with my Tech21 VTDI which makes the bass feel more alive and able to cut through the mix better on a couple of different settings. Whereas the Elrick and Spector I play don't particularly benefit from the VTDI in anything like the same way.

I know there's a line of thought that you can get "your sound" consistently by using a pre-amp pedal but my, albeit limited, experience suggests that's not always going to be case especially when you have an active bass.

Tired = worn out (it's a nearly 20 y/o bass).

But I'm really keen to hear if anyone else has done an upgrade and it worked well with their BBs?

Edited by Al Krow

Yeah I'd be interested to hear any info on this too.

I've recently acquired a bb615.

It's a really good bass but I'd agree with other opinions floating around that the pre amp could definitely be better.

I've seen some talk on talkbass about the Delano Sonar 3.

I've also been wondering if the Glockenklang mights be a good shout.

I personally want this bass to have active / passive switching as most of the time in a live setting I run a bass passive 99% of the time and then have a tone dialled in on the active circuit for slap.

👍