Why become a member? ×

Would you sell...

anzoid

Not 100% sure where to put this so, Mods, feel free to move it to the right place.

Got my Status Streamline 5-string up for sale and got a message from someone (zero posts...) asking me to ship to Thailand. I quoted a price and requested direct bank transfer. He/She has come back asking if I take PayPal and would I declare the value of the bass at £200 to avoid import tax.

My reply was: no to PayPal to a non-UK destination, and no to mis-declaring the value of the bass (it's worth a little more than £200...).

Right response, or would you have done the deal?

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1485781614' post='3226595']
Thanks guys, confirmed my gut feeling and that I sent the right response. If I hear back with anything else I'll just say "thanks, but not interested" and post anything ridiculous that gets said :D
[/quote]

the other thing to consider is that if you have underclared the value then if it gets lost or damaged you wont be able to claim the proper value of the instrument insurance wise.

Nothing to do with a scam, but I got a message from someone about a pedal I'm selling on Facebook groups...

"I just bought an afterneath, for about the same price as yours but yours looks in better conditions, so I was thinking to bring that back and buy yours, if it's worth it and if you're willing to a bit lower with the price"

Which I thought was mega cheeky so told him I wouldn't sell him it, cos I imagined how annoyed I'd be if I was the person who had sold him the original one, suddenly getting asked to return it cos he'd seen a better condition one!

Some people...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1485789315' post='3226683']
I'd insist on a bank transfer of funds and properly declared value. If he says OK then you've made a sale.

I'd expect not to hear back though.
[/quote]
Funnily enough, after saying this... I've not heard back. And he was so keen this morning! :D

Don't think he can claim back a Paypal Gift can he?

I don't like the under-declaring the value though. That way there would be no insurance.

If you're talking about your Status Grafite, that's serious money to a person on Thai wages. Smells funny.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1485810386' post='3226939']
Maybe he has a friend of regal persuasion in Nigeria and this was going to be his birthday present?
[/quote]

I feel sorry for the friends and relatives of ACTUAL Nigerian royalty. It must be a nightmare trying to have gifts sent for special occasions!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1485808878' post='3226927']
Two rules to live by

Never use PayPal Gift
Always ship insured to full value

You can't go wrong with the above but people still ignore them.
[/quote]

Isn't this more a matter of never pay by PayPal Gift unless you really trust the person you're sending it to? This is because you're doing the equivalent of sending cash.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1485814372' post='3226985']

Isn't this more a matter of never pay by PayPal Gift unless you really trust the person you're sending it to? This is because you're doing the equivalent of sending cash.
[/quote]

Well, yes, if you're sending money to a family member or something. Never for selling something.

Didn't even get to the point of discussing the type of PayPal payment - I'm guessing that he would have preferred gift and I would have said "no way" :D
Still not had any reply to my last message - so I think there won't be a deal.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1485806085' post='3226881']
Even bank transfer isn't as guaranteed as people think it is, it can still be claimed back in certain circumstances.
[/quote]
Intrigued as to how someone might go about claiming back a bank transfer - guessing that if the person makes enough fuss the bank will just take it from your account or some such? Worrying thought...

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1485817560' post='3227023']
Didn't even get to the point of discussing the type of PayPal payment - I'm guessing that he would have preferred gift and I would have said "no way" :D
Still not had any reply to my last message - so I think there won't be a deal.

Intrigued as to how someone might go about claiming back a bank transfer - guessing that if the person makes enough fuss the bank will just take it from your account or some such? Worrying thought...
[/quote]
[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1485818026' post='3227028']

I would be interested to know what circumstances might warrant that. I had an incident with internet banking where funds were sent to somewhere they shouldn't have. My fault. I screwed up, so no issue with anyone else. I had discussions with my bank and others about getting it back from where it had been sent and the concensus was that as it wasn't fraudulent, I would have to wave it goodbye. Fortunately for me, I had tried to send it to an account that didn't actually exist, so it bounced back to me. Phew!

Just genuinely interested from a learning standpoint. Not that I'm planning on it happening a second time you understand.
[/quote]

A mate at work had his internet banking account hacked and one payment of £350 went missing amongst others, he could prove he hadn't sent it and was refunded by the bank. There was a police investigation from the other end as the money was sent to a guy in Nottingham to pay for a camera bought off gumtree by the person who hacked his account. He was interviewed by the Police and was obviously fine but they told him the other guy was a student and was distraught as he had only been selling the camera to fund his car insurance and couldn't afford it any other way. My mate felt so bad about it he offered to donate a few quid towards the lads insurance and others at work agreed to chip in, he made the offer to the coppers but we never heard anything back. When he was dealing with his bank they didn't seem to need much evidence to do the claim back from what he said. He also said that the person he had dealt with had told him that people mistakingly thing its bullet proof but due to the amount of fraud on it they have introduced new rules a couple of years back which make it much easier to get the money back if needed.

Sadly for every method or protecting yourself as a buyer/seller there is always some scumbag trying to work around it.

T-Bay - that's scary :o I had it in my head (I guess others do to) that once someone's done a bank transfer to you it's a done deal... but... are there any truly safe ways of trading with people...? Cash on collection maybe (unless they turn up with a large stick) but then you limit your potential sales audience by an order of magnitude or two. The rate at which stuff's shifting (i.e. slowly) means that you need a bigger pool of potential buyers to even have a hope of a sale these days (now, when I were a wee lad, etc. etc.) Kinda demoralising...

Cash on collection...
A few years ago I sold some hi-fi gear with an advert in a magazine. The guy was supposed to pay me £800. First Loaded the guy into his car while he stood and watched me. Then he threw a bundle of notes at me. I counted them... £200. He muttered something about getting cash from the hole in the wall and threw another bundle at me. Another £200.
By this time I'm beginning to make some mental calculations... my gear's in his car... he's a little guy... I'm a big guy... probably best to get him into the garage before I pin him to the wall...
Eventually he gets down to emptying change out of his pockets. He says "can you let me off £5 for the petrol?" Me: "No, give me the money and f*** off".
I got the full amount eventually but it was stressful. I rather resented selling my stuff to the little git but I didn't want to go through all that again.

I'll also point out that everyone else I've dealt with for cash-on-collection has been an absolute gentleman/woman. It's stating the obvious (now) but always count the money before you hand your stuff over.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1485852036' post='3227115']
So, the application of that scenario to this case doesn't really fit. The "buyer" in Thailand would either have to send it from their own account and try and get their own bank to refund it without proof that it was sent fraudulently or convince the bank that it was sent fraudulently sent without any evidence in the hope thatbthe bank might reverse it. As you say, there are always some asshats trying to find a work around.
[/quote]
I suppose that would make things harder if the buyer did want to try and claim the money back somehow - but you can't feeling that either way you'd end up pn the losing side...

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1485852392' post='3227118']
As a buyer and a seller I absolutely insist on it followed by an old school firm shake of the hand to do the deal. A little thing, but it means a lot.
[/quote]
Yeah, seems to work best. Just made a trip last Friday to Weymouth to pick up a fretless Fender P-bass. Counted the cash onto the table, we shook hands and chatted for a bit before I headed home. Easy transaction, no fuss or hassle with a genuinely pleasant seller.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1485852392' post='3227118']

As a buyer and a seller I absolutely insist on it followed by an old school firm shake of the hand to do the deal. A little thing, but it means a lot.
[/quote]

Old school shake of the hand... spot on.