Why become a member? ×

Last night I almost died - literally

woolleydick

Thought I had better share this.

I know there have been previous threads but when it comes to this sort of thing there is no problem repeating the advice.

In mid song last night (first track of the rehearsal) I went to move the mic' on it's stand in front of my amp as I was not happy with the tone.
I experienced a serious electric shock which caused me to spin round holding the mic' stand and fall over onto it.
At this point I stop remembering anything until I came round surrounded by freaked out band members calling for an ambulance.
They tell me they first thought I was having some sort of fit until they touched me and also received a shock.
They then "pulled the plug" on the stage power.
I was probably live for around 10 seconds max (to them it seemed longer).
Any longer than this and I suspect I would not be telling you about this.
I reportedly stopped breathing for a few seconds after the power was disconnected.
I suffered multiple burns to my hands and chest (from falling on the mic' stand/mic' and still being in the circuit).

We locked the rehearsal facility (which was designed and built by the lead singer), and the full investigation starts today as to where the fault comes from.
I will let you know the results.

NOTE - I did not have my own RCD in the circuit nor did the PA.
I suspect the rehearsal facility does not have a functioning RCD.

Always check you are properly protected before you start.

I was seconds away from death last night - please do not repeat my experience

Thanks.

PS the Status Streamline survived unscathed although I did change the strings and clean off the scorch marks from the neck once I got home.

Its amazing how easily it can happen, especially where venues have wiring thats been rigged up on the fly. WD I'm so glad you had a lucky escape, we certainly don't need another member going to the great Bass Shop in the Sky after the last couple of months. I hope your burns heal quickly and there's no lasting or permenant damage.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='307582' date='Oct 16 2008, 08:33 AM']....Glad you are OK man, where do I get an RCD from?....[/quote]
B&Q, Homebase, Wicks, Maplins, any electrical shop, Google RCD for online sources.........

RCD's will only work if there is a functioning earth. Spend another £5-10 and get an earth tester as well.

[quote name='Merton' post='307637' date='Oct 16 2008, 09:37 AM']Jesus. Glad you're still with us and generally OK. My RCD is going to come out of the case and be used tomorrow rather than come along and be forgotten.[/quote]
+1. I'm going into the cupboard under the stairs to find it. If I'm not back by Sunday, please call for help.

[quote name='chris_b' post='307635' date='Oct 16 2008, 10:35 AM']RCD's will only work if there is a functioning earth.[/quote]

That is not necessarily true - they are called Residual Current Devices because they measure the difference between Live and Neutral - if there is something missing then they trip.
this (I believe) is a true RCD there may be other ELD Earth Leakage detectors which measure the Earth current - these do not protect you from a missing earth.
RCD's will work with just live and neutral (as you may have on your power drill or lawn mower.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

Glad to hear you survived that one - very nasty.

I wired an inline RCD into my extention lead that I use all the time so I can't get complacent about it. Always easy to let things like that slip until something like this happens.

Hope your recovery is swift

J

[quote name='woolleydick' post='307644' date='Oct 16 2008, 09:40 AM']That is not necessarily true - they are called Residual Current Devices because they measure the difference between Live and Neutral - if there is something missing then they trip.
this (I believe) is a true RCD there may be other ELD Earth Leakage detectors which measure the Earth current - these do not protect you from a missing earth.
RCD's will work with just live and neutral (as you may have on your power drill or lawn mower.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.[/quote]

Ask your guitarist?
:)

Glad to hear you're okay after that brush with death. And that lovely Status survived, too. A happy ending?

On a practical note, I always make sure all my gear is PAT tested. Not only for a safety point of view, but also because many venues are asking for evidence (as well as MU public liability insurance) before gigs these days.

Rich.