Why become a member? ×

NBD (kinda, again): Shukerbird

Muzz

Finally, I got my finger out and had Jon Shuker make me a new neck for the Fenderbird/Laklandbird/Thunderland/whatever I was calling it this week, as the Lakland neck had developed a twist to go with the backbow. This was a real shame, as that neck's got the most spectacular birdseye maple board I think I've ever seen - it really did look like marmalade. Anyhoo, no point looking good if you can't actually play the thing, and having to tweak the trussrod mid-set was getting to be a bit of a bind... :(

Sooo, the whole thing went off to Jon, and last week I went down to pick it up. And it's very very good indeed.

Just to recap, it was originally an Epi Thunderbird, but the only Epi bits left are the body (I like the colour) and the neck plate, the rest is pure Frankenhoohah: Hipshot Ultralights with a D-tuner, Hipshot Supertone bridge, Dingwall pickups (a P-Tone and a Dual Coil) under chrome covers with rings, and an East U-Retro. And now a Shuker J neck with a birdseye board and brass nut.

It won't be to everyone's taste, I know, but it's exactly the look I wanted, it plays very very nicely indeed, and it's just what I wanted for my 'proper' rock band. It even balances properly... :)

Oh, and I know the sheer uselessness of 22 frets on a bass like this: I'd say those are strong contenders for The Most Futile Top Five Frets Ever, right there... sorrynotsorry... :D

And without further ado, here's the pics... :)

[attachment=234381:shukerbird1.jpg]

[attachment=234382:shukerbird2.jpg]

[attachment=234383:shukerbird3.jpg]

Oh, fer crying out loud...why does the pic uploader rotate them randomly? Ffs... <_<

Edited by Muzz

Phwoar, that's a bit of alright! I've always loved the Thunderbird shape but I've been told by a few people that they're not especially versatile (not that it would matter for my playing!). It looks like that's certainly not the case with the modifications you've made! And that neck... Would love to see some nice high-res images of this beast!

I love the combination of the rich body colour and the maple fretboard. Yes, I like that a lot! I also think that putting the pickups underneath the chrome covers retains the vintage look along side the bug hefty bridge. I think I prefer that headstock over the Epi' one too, it seems to so with the body shape angles. Just me I guess.

Congratulations Muzz. I do enjoy seeing Franken' basses and this one looks as if it were meant to be all along.

I was told by someone who knows a lot more about these things than I do, that often the highly figured woods are the less stable ones, so that was possibly the cause of the problems with your Lakland neck. No worries with one from Jon, those carbon rods are going nowhere - couldn't even tell you where the truss rod adjustment is on mine and it is now 5 years old!!

Thanks to all, glad it strikes a chord :D

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1482256577' post='3198995']
That is very nice! Sort of updated-retro looking. I've just obtained an Epi body to use as a base, though it has been stripped and will need painting. I'm hunter gathering for some nice parts to use. How did you get it to balance - just the Ultralights?
[/quote]

The straplock is situated a little further forward on the end of the heel, which, with the Ultralights, is enough to get it to balance nicely.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1482257311' post='3199007']
I was told by someone who knows a lot more about these things than I do, that often the highly figured woods are the less stable ones, so that was possibly the cause of the problems with your Lakland neck. No worries with one from Jon, those carbon rods are going nowhere - couldn't even tell you where the truss rod adjustment is on mine and it is now 5 years old!!
[/quote]
[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1482311899' post='3199352']
The only bad neck I've had in 100 basses was a Lakeland Skyline one.
[/quote]

The Lakland neck was quartersawn, it was just the fretboard which was very highly figured, so I was surprised it was so unstable. Both my other Shukers are solid as a rock, though the winner for Never Even Going Out Of Tune is my Dingwall :D

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1482313537' post='3199377']
Muzz, you need to provide a link to those chromy pup covers. It's the law. :ph34r:
[/quote]

I will Karl - it's somewhere in Germany...let me dig the link out...

Here you go: [url="http://www.crazyparts.de/pickup-making-parts/pickupcovers/misc/gibson-thunderbird-pu-cover-chrome.php"]http://www.crazypart...over-chrome.php[/url]

They do the rings on there, too...

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1482313738' post='3199383']
Thanks to all, glad it strikes a chord :D

The straplock is situated a little further forward on the end of the heel, which, with the Ultralights, is enough to get it to balance nicely.

The Lakland neck was quartersawn, it was just the fretboard which was very highly figured, so I was surprised it was so unstable. Both my other Shukers are solid as a rock, though the winner for Never Even Going Out Of Tune is my Dingwall :D

I will Karl - it's somewhere in Germany...let me dig the link out...

Here you go: [url="http://www.crazyparts.de/pickup-making-parts/pickupcovers/misc/gibson-thunderbird-pu-cover-chrome.php"]http://www.crazypart...over-chrome.php[/url]

They do the rings on there, too...
[/quote]

Brilliant Muzz, ta fella.
To think, all these years I could have had a good looking TBird (hate the black plastic pup covers, fickle, moi?)