Why become a member? ×

What have you learned in 2016?

radiophonic

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1482317260' post='3199450']
You too, 1st one wasn't ready and had a harsh instructor.
2nd one was my fault.
3rd one, no silly mistakes, just got it done.
[/quote]

My 1st was in 1987, didn't try again until this year and luckily found a very good instructor who I got on well with. Also I have a very patient wife.

It's an accomplishment to be proud of. Don't stop using bus lanes (when legal and safe to do so) ;)

Edited by ahpook

I found out that 4 mates in a room playing songs is powerful medicine. :)

I've played on and off with the same group of friends for around 25 years now. The last gig we did was around 6 years ago, for various reasons we haven't done anything since. Recently, the brother of the guitarist died very suddenly. That event brought us all together again, as friends and also as a band. All 4 of us have some serious issues to contend with at the moment in our lives, but for 4 hours in that rehearsal room we are invincible.

I have also realised that I may have to change my playing position/style as my right forearm, wrist and thumb are starting to give me pain. :sad:

After many hours of playing scales, I can improvise decent fill runs.

After many hours of playing scales with my eyes closed, I can improvise decent fill runs while watching the drummer and the lead guitar player, so I can get the right groove and link between them.

2017 promises many hours of playing scales on a fretless with my eyes closed. Hoping this time next year I'll be able to say I've nailed it.

My learning was nothing to do with music. First thing I learned was that when I said towards the end of 2015, "Well roll on 2016. At least it can't possibly be worse than 2015 was!" I was being terribly, horrendously presumptuous.

This has been a bl@*dy hard year in just about every way - and I'm not thinking about celeb deaths and the like. I've buried a brother and seen another debilitated by a terrible heart attack, I've had a new boss that I thoroughly didn't like or really get on with, I've struggled to understand my little boy's diagnosis of ASD and worked to access the educational support he needs, I've seen his best friend horribly injured in a horrendous car crash and the toll it has taken on the whole family and struggled daily with my own health...

The second thing I learned? Sometimes the most important things are just putting one foot in front of the other, keep on going and concentrating on those you love and whom love you.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1482352518' post='3199863']
I found out that 4 mates in a room playing songs is powerful medicine. :)

I've played on and off with the same group of friends for around 25 years now. The last gig we did was around 6 years ago, for various reasons we haven't done anything since. Recently, the brother of the guitarist died very suddenly. That event brought us all together again, as friends and also as a band. All 4 of us have some serious issues to contend with at the moment in our lives, but for 4 hours in that rehearsal room we are invincible.

I have also realised that I may have to change my playing position/style as my right forearm, wrist and thumb are starting to give me pain. :sad:
[/quote]
I work in a high pressure job and am knackered at the end of every day. The idea of adding a two hour band practice on the end of the day twice a week seemed nuts but I go home less tired and hell of a lot less stressed. It's time where you just focus on getting the music right and I think that is good for the mind and soul, it is for me for definite.

I've learned that any gear snobbery I may have harbored was smacked in the face a tad when I bought, and now mainly play, my ( albeit slightly modified ) Squire VM jazz V.

Being the best human I can be still continues to pay emense dividends in my relationships with others.

My youngest, Nadean - 14, has finally started to get the music bug and has been noodling about on my basses. She's got a gift for it for sure :) Her big sister is a fantastic woodwinds player and better than averge on keys. I briefly contemplated siring another child to get a drummer for the house band... then thought better of it. We don't need that kind of agravation :D

Edited by Funky Ghost

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1482447975' post='3200766']
My learning was nothing to do with music. First thing I learned was that when I said towards the end of 2015, "Well roll on 2016. At least it can't possibly be worse than 2015 was!" I was being terribly, horrendously presumptuous.

This has been a bl@*dy hard year in just about every way - and I'm not thinking about celeb deaths and the like. I've buried a brother and seen another debilitated by a terrible heart attack, I've had a new boss that I thoroughly didn't like or really get on with, I've struggled to understand my little boy's diagnosis of ASD and worked to access the educational support he needs, I've seen his best friend horribly injured in a horrendous car crash and the toll it has taken on the whole family and struggled daily with my own health...

The second thing I learned? Sometimes the most important things are just putting one foot in front of the other, keep on going and concentrating on those you love and whom love you.
[/quote]

Sounds awful Trevor, hope 2017 is kinder to you and your family

I have learned that I'm actually very happy with my equipment, and other than burning Wal GAS that wont leave, I don't particularly want or need anything else at the moment.

I have also learned what playing a Wal feels like, for which I refer you to my previous sentence :lol:

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1482447975' post='3200766']

[/quote]

Sorry to hear you've had such a difficult year Trevor, so I hope that you and your family manage to find some peace and enjoyment together this Christmas, despite everything that you've been through.

Very wise words in your last paragraph by the way!

All the best,

Nik

Ive learnt a great many things in my first year back with the fat strings. Ive learnt that although people may be really great musicians, theyre not great in a band. Ive learnt that sometimes, less is most definitely more. Ive learnt that the key to doing anything is to first enjoy it, hence the collapse of a band that I believed to be a whos-who of the most talented late teen musicians I know.

Ive also learnt that, genuinely, the true masters of this here instrument are the people here. The real virtuosos are amongst us.

Oh and i learnt a little thing called GAS. At the start of the year I had 1 bass, then I had 2, then 1 again, and now 4...

Its been one helluva year...

In 2016 I learned that I was able to work with wood to a much higher standard than I ever thought I could. Hopefully I'll finish off my telecaster that I'm building in the next couple of months and get onto building proper instruments - basses!

The year was also a continuation of my efforts to enjoy my playing. A lot of my youth seems to have been a blur. I am trying to savour each gig, good or bad. Now in my 50s, I am much more aware of the march of time and the fleetingness of our part in it.

Watershed moment this year in that after 14 years of playing, I'm suddenly not bothered by what bass I use. As long as it has some element of treble extension, I can mostly sound the way I want with anything. I've owned everything I've ever wanted to own and to be honest, I've found there isn't this quantum leap between basses as a lot of people would say. A bass (especially live in most venues) sounds like a bass!. It's made me focus a lot more on physically playing and honing my individual style.

Edited by 40hz

In terms of being a working musician in a band?

Understanding my role within the band

Not taking the experience or myself too seriously

The importance of having and making every gig fun for me and the band.

Knowing when to keep my mouth shut

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1482753216' post='3202510']
Watershed moment this year in that after 14 years of playing, I'm suddenly not bothered by what bass I use. As long as it has some element of treble extension, I can mostly sound the way I want with anything. I've owned everything I've ever wanted to own and to be honest, I've found there isn't this quantum leap between basses as a lot of people would say. A bass (especially live in most venues) sounds like a bass!. It's made me focus a lot more on physically playing and honing my individual style.
[/quote]

Amen

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1482252528' post='3198919']
In 2016 I learnt to play with a pick (after an accident left unable to play finger style) and at the end of the year, my playing and tone are better and clearer than they ever where in my 40 years of playing with my fingers.
[/quote]

Same for me Dave but I'm still working hard as hell to master the more advanced picking skills.

Blue