Why become a member? ×

Somefing wot I did - A Tube Map For Bass Players.

Grassie

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1479999868' post='3180912']
Thats great , can we get a bigger pic ?
[/quote]

Will put something up tomorrow. I'm sure there will be some debates as to who belongs on which "line", and no doubt there will be some discussion about omissions too.
Thanks for the positive vibes you lot, much appreciated. :)

OK, here's the "finished" image:

[attachment=232667:Finished tube map.jpg]

I say "finished" because this is kind of a prototype. The initial blank tube map that I used I found online and appears to have been a doctored version rather than an official image, hence there were various "smudges" and other indistinct marks on the blank map.
I used Photoshop to remove the offending smudges, and to add the "stations" but also to lengthen or shorten lines as I saw fit in order to create what you see above. As I said, I'm sure some of you will have suggestions for who goes on which line and who I may have missed out (I've actually thought of two more players that maybe should be on there) so I might take these into consideration and add them later.
It was inspired by a picture I bought for my son to put on his bedroom wall, which was of the London tube map, but the stations are all football players, with each line representing different "positions" (midfielders, goalkeepers, defenders etc.). I though something like that would work really well with musicians, and starting with bassists was the obvious choice. I have a plan to do a series of them (guitarists, drummers) hence the "title" of the map "Going Underground", and I was going to make them commercially available, but that's on hold at the moment as I need to get permission from Transport for London to use not only the map but the roundel, as both images are protected or copyrighted or whatever. If I get permission then TfL are entitled to a royalty from each sale.
I might add that I don't do this sort of thing for a living, but I've always had a love for graphic art and poster art etc.Keeps my non-musical (but equally artistic) chops up. :)
Feel free to ask questions/comment/make suggestions/criticise/take the p*ss.
Cheers! :)

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1480029413' post='3181225']
Leo Lyons; Bernard Edwards?

Excellent idea - look forward to seeing the bigger one!!
[/quote]
Bernard is on there, er...Leo Lyons isn't... An oversight, sorry! Like i said, it's kind of a prototype (a work in progress maybe) so I can add players later. :)

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1480067524' post='3181377']
Mmmm... the posted image isn't very big on my screen, although the actual image is 300dpi...
Any suggestions to enhance your viewing pleasure...?
[/quote]

An unfortunate side-effect of using the Basschat image hosting and the need to conserve space on their server.

Try an external image host like Photobucket.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1480073998' post='3181443']
An unfortunate side-effect of using the Basschat image hosting and the need to conserve space on their server.

Try an external image host like Photobucket.
[/quote]

Thanks BRX ;)

OK, try this:

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Grassie75/media/Finished%20tube%20map_zps5tqlemk8.jpg.html?o=0

Edited by Grassie

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1480076890' post='3181471']
Where did you find the font? I tried to find it a few years ago for a project I was working on and TFL wanted a ridiculous amount of money for the rights.

Great job though, well done ��
[/quote]

I downloaded it, I can't remember the site though. Thanks for the compliment. :)

Edited by Grassie

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1480073573' post='3181442']
Ok, you need to get this made into a poster size and get them selling asap.

I'll take one!! Bloody brilliant!!
[/quote]

I need to run this by TfL first, the map, roundel and font are all copyrighted and I need their permission to use all of them for commercial purposes. They will also want a royalty from each sale. If I get enough interest I'll follow it up. Of course, they could offer to produce it and give [i]me[/i] a royalty for each one sold... ;)
I should've done this months ago - I would say it's pretty much the right time of year to be selling stuff like this... :lol:

Edited by Grassie