Why become a member? ×

Bob Marley vs The Beatles

darkandrew

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1474401526' post='3137784']
Is this a trick question because if so I'll pitch for Elvis ;)
[/quote]

Costello? Nah (the NME may have said so for a few weeks in the late 70s).

The problem with anyone using the NME as source material is that by the late 70s many people viewed it as a kids paper - which overlooked the fact that the kids of the 60s had matured into an album buying public and the industry expanded out to take account - before the 60s/70s this didn't happen to the same degree.

So as a result punk gets hyped up etc etc - the real music fans read the more grown up Melody Maker at the back of which were adverts for used Fender Precisions, Marshall stacks and the like.

The NME appealed to a certain demographic as did Jackie magazine - the fact modern day researchers over use it is a barometer tells a misleading story.

Edited by drTStingray

Can I vote for Kraftwerk? Their influence on early Hip-Hop via Afrika Bambaataa amongst others, is huge. And with Hip Hop/Rap/Urban music being the most popular music forms in the world according to Spotify, they are currently the most influential band on the planet.

(Gets coat, runs out smirking, IBTL etc....)

But I voted for the Beatles...by a nose. Ringo's nose. Boom tish.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1474408556' post='3137882']
Can I vote for Kraftwerk? Their influence on early Hip-Hop via Afrika Bambaataa amongst others, is huge.
[/quote]

If we're going electronic music, would you say that Giorgio Moroder by turning an avant-garde genre into commercial pop and dance music was any less influential?

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1474389307' post='3137615']

What would be the Beatles equivalent to 'Redemption Song'?

They played with politics but, as far as I'm aware they never got anywhere close to the sheer emotional & intellectual power of that song. It's a cracking tune as well.

Surely that's a goal for Marley?
[/quote]

And Marley could field a full 11 squad. The Beatles could just scrape together a 5-aside team...

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1474438468' post='3137961']

And Marley could field a full 11 squad. The Beatles could just scrape together a 5-aside team...
[/quote]

Surely there must be at least seven different people who at one time have been labelled the "fifth Beatle" to take the moptop side up to 11!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474391954' post='3137648']
I have very close contact with The Wailers. I've known Al (Albert ) Anderson since we were in grade school.

Blue
[/quote]
Wow, I have met Al a couple of times when he was gigging here with the wailers. But he is one of my favourite guitarists, completely changed my view and approach to playing guitar in a reggae band. He is one of the few guitarists I've heard that can be very busy in their playing but never crowd the music.
Superb musician.

To be honest I don't know much of the beatles outside their singles and whilst I can't say I'm a beatles fan I don't dislike them either. I've never heard a song of theirs that I didn't like. However I relate to Bob Marley's music much better and have been a massive fan since the early 70's so for me it's Bob. That is not to say I think one is better than the other just I prefer Bob's Music.

The Beatles were likely more influencial, but much of this influence led ultimately to the pop music of today, which may not be seen as a good thing.
Once the Baby Boomers are gone, I am not sure how much radio play the Beatles will get. Conversely, I am pretty sure you will still hear Bob Marley baselines coming through the walls/floor/spaceship window in a hundred years time.

As the question is; who had the biggest and most enduring impact, there really is only one answer.

While Bob Marley wrote some good songs, he wasn't as influential on other artists as Smokie Robinson, Bob Dylan or Paul and John and his band (while making good records) didn't change much in the industry.

On the other hand The Beatles instigated many of the changes seen subsequently in every aspect of the music business; the writing of songs, band management, the recording industry, publicity and merchandising, so enduring is a very good way of describing the impact the Beatles are still making.

Anyone who says The Beatles was just another band (as someone did here last year) hasn't done the required homework.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1474456498' post='3138126']
As the question is; who had the biggest and most enduring impact, there really is only one answer.

While Bob Marley wrote some good songs, he wasn't as influential on other artists as Smokie Robinson, Bob Dylan or Paul and John and his band (while making good records) didn't change much in the industry.

On the other hand The Beatles instigated many of the changes seen subsequently in every aspect of the music business; the writing of songs, band management, the recording industry, publicity and merchandising, so enduring is a very good way of describing the impact the Beatles are still making.

Anyone who says The Beatles was just another band (as someone did here last year) hasn't done the required homework.
[/quote]

Agreed.
Although the funny thing is, go to any beach resort in the world and you will hear Marley tunes more than Beatles tunes,
and certainly see more Marley/Rasta T-shirts with him surrounded by Marijuana plant leaves, than the Mop Tops in their tight suits.
:D

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1474460834' post='3138171']
Hard to tell, but I'd say Bob Marley has survived longest without seeming 'dated' and it'll likely continue.
[/quote]

To be fair Bob hasn't been copied half to death.

I have wondered if my indifference to the Beatles stems from being subjected to a lifetime of various bands trying to copy various aspects of the original's 'sound', to the point where even the original Beatles tracks sound formulaic and contrived to me.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1474446636' post='3138019']

Wow, I have met Al a couple of times when he was gigging here with the wailers. But he is one of my favourite guitarists, completely changed my view and approach to playing guitar in a reggae band. He is one of the few guitarists I've heard that can be very busy in their playing but never crowd the music.
Superb musician.
[/quote]

When we were in 7th grade we would all be petrified when Albert got on the school bus on the way home. We knew he was going to kick someone's butt. We just didn't know who.

Albert's father was a band leader and his brother Mel was the original drummer for Twisted Sister.

If Albert didn't take the the music path he could have easily went pro in foot ball. Nobody and I mean nobody could stop him when he had the ball.

Chuck Burgi, drummer for Brand X back in 1976, now with Billy Joel was also a part of the music scene at our Montclair High School. So was Joe Walsh.

Great days in a great place.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='samhay' timestamp='1474455649' post='3138111']
The Beatles were likely more influencial, but much of this influence led ultimately to the pop music of today, which may not be seen as a good thing.
Once the Baby Boomers are gone, I am not sure how much radio play the Beatles will get. Conversely, I am pretty sure you will still hear Bob Marley baselines coming through the walls/floor/spaceship window in a hundred years time.
[/quote]

Ha! :) that's exactly how I see it.
There's no doubt that The Beatles had a huge impact in pop music at many levels, and in that respect they influenced more the path of popular music since... but it's a bit like inventing the wheel. It had its place, important, but then others ran with it and we'd rarely go back to rudimentary wheels made of wood or stone.

Bob Marley may not have had the same huge impact (although I doubt reggae would be as popular as it is in our side of the world if it wasn't for him), but it doesn't sound 'dated' and I can't see that changing any time soon.

I like the idea of Marley in space :lol:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474495614' post='3138464']
When we were in 7th grade we would all be petrified when Albert got on the school bus on the way home. We knew he was going to kick someone's butt. We just didn't know who.

Albert's father was a band leader and his brother Mel was the original drummer for Twisted Sister.

If Albert didn't take the the music path he could have easily went pro in foot ball. Nobody and I mean nobody could stop him when he had the ball.

Chuck Burgi, drummer for Brand X back in 1976, now with Billy Joel was also a part of the music scene at our Montclair High School. So was Joe Walsh.

Great days in a great place.

Blue
[/quote]

wow... what a place/time indeed!

I'm not slightly envious ;)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1474399867' post='3137762']
Both have a very big place in history.

Reggae was pretty strong in clubs in this country before Bob Marley came along.
Trojan records were trotting out Records in a big way, although it was all very commercial.
Was it real hardcore ? Not really. But it certainly introduced folks to Reggae.
[/quote]

But there again all the musical styles coming out of Jamaica that developed into Reggae (ska blubeat highlife etc) were around all over in the UK long before Marley. Even whitey was doing the do.
Check out The Migil 5 version of Mockingbird Hill... Mike Felix the drummer was a lovely guy & toured on his own playing piano and singing after their small bump of chart success. And STILL doing Mockingbird Hill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHkVCn1RzBE

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1474613459' post='3139175']
But there again all the musical styles coming out of Jamaica that developed into Reggae (ska blubeat highlife etc) were around all over in the UK long before Marley. Even whitey was doing the do.
[/quote]

Yes, of course. Just that someone above posted that [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It was probably Marley's work that brought reggae to the UK.[/font][/color]