Why become a member? ×

Attention Span - New Set to learn

AndyTravis

Have got a set to learn, an I can't focus.

I'm knackered and I'm doing it as a favour, although I will be paid.

Does anyone else just lack patience with new tunes?

This stems from a previous thread where I didn't like a set of been offered a steady paying gig with a band.

I'm having a bad playing day too. Hands are asleep.

I know how you feel.
I've just another band and have fifty songs to learn by the end of the month, including rehearsals and gigs with the band I'm already in.
The new band is Mod, Northern Soul and Ska so some real fun tunes to play, but like you say, the easy ones seem to be harder to remember.

I understand your pain too. although I have had to do this quite a few times (the last time was a Fifties Rock and Roll band .....thirty odd tunes all sounding the same :ph34r: )I
actually struggle to learn songs at home.

Unlike most on here I don't believe "practice is for home" and band time is for "rehearsal"

When I started out band time was called "band practice" and we all learned the songs together. I learn songs much more quickly in a band settting,probably because I play by ear and am rubbish at musical theory :blush:

I know it's easier these days with YouTube etc but I just hate it....especially when the songs are in different keys to the original.

Oh well I've made it to 59 years old and I still get asked to play so I suppose I'll just have to keep on keeping on ;)

Mind you if you know of any bands that still practice the old way ,that need a bass player......pass them my name :lol:

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1473115357' post='3127161']

[/quote]

For me, it depends on the material.

I play in a covers band, I have little patience for learning songs I'm not into, but complete perseverance for a song I like.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1473115357' post='3127161']

This stems from a previous thread where I didn't like a set of been offered a steady paying gig with a band.

I'm having a bad playing day too. Hands are asleep.
[/quote]

When I have new material to learn "lack of patience" is not even an option".

Whether or not I like the material is not a part of the picture either. I'm being paid to do something, end of story.

I commit and learn the material.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1473154432' post='3127370']
Do they give you charts to learn off, or have you got to work them out ?

I wouldn't bother if they didn't.
[/quote]

I hear this quite often and I'll admit now, after 30 years of bass playing I have no idea what a 'chart' is! I dep a bit and get given a set list and the keys that they are in - is this a 'chart'?

I have a short attention span too, so I tend to string all the songs together in a playlist and run through the playlist a few times giving each song more or less equal attention, noting down the starting chords to form my own cheat sheet. I find that with many many songs, as the Jack Bruce example, the chord sequences can be anticipated. Or maybe I'm just being asked to learn really boring song...!

Steve

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1473156482' post='3127397']
I hear this quite often and I'll admit now, after 30 years of bass playing I have no idea what a 'chart' is! I dep a bit and get given a set list and the keys that they are in - is this a 'chart'?

I have a short attention span too, so I tend to string all the songs together in a playlist and run through the playlist a few times giving each song more or less equal attention, noting down the starting chords to form my own cheat sheet. I find that with many many songs, as the Jack Bruce example, the chord sequences can be anticipated. Or maybe I'm just being asked to learn really boring song...!

Steve
[/quote]

I'd at least expect the chords, as a starting point. Ive depped for bands where they've done different interpretations shall we say :), of songs. So the chords I've worked out from the recording have been wrong. Also a lot of people will tell you what key a song is in, only they're wrong. Having the chords makes the job a lot faster and easier, and more accurate.

Ideally I'd want the dots. That's the only dep gig I would do, it's acceptable on those to sight-read it anyway, so there's nothing really to learn.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1473156830' post='3127401']

I'd at least expect the chords, as a starting point. Ive depped for bands where they've done different interpretations shall we say :), of songs. So the chords I've worked out from the recording have been wrong. Also a lot of people will tell you what key a song is in, only they're wrong. Having the chords makes the job a lot faster and easier, and more accurate.

Ideally I'd want the dots. That's the only dep gig I would do, it's acceptable on those to sight-read it anyway, so there's nothing really to learn.
[/quote]

Yeah I know what you mean about keys! I can't sight read, but know chords, modes and scales etc so I'm ok on that front. I often ask for recordings - a lot of bands have these available, which makes it a bit easier to understand what's expected of you as a dep...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1473155076' post='3127377']

Whether or not I like the material is not a part of the picture either. I'm being paid to do something, end of story.

Blue
[/quote] yep....if i dont want to do it i know where the door is. No one is forcing you so if you say yes then you owe it to the band and audience to have your sh*t together. If i get a dep turn up (and have recently) that comes across has half cocked I'm not impressed. What ever is going on in their personal life is not my concern. I know that all sounds very harsh but you have to consider what opinion the band you are playing for will form of you. People talk. Rumours can fly. "nah dont bother asking him...he did a gig with us and was all over the shop..."

If you have a good rep as a good player and all round nice bloke then keep it intact.

If you are not into it its ok but the band might be very into it so I would have to decide if its better to just let them down gently in the long run. If they are very lame as a band and wouldn't know the difference, cant play the stuff very well and its likley to be a one off playing to the bar staff,resident drunk and a dog then how much do you need this cash?

You might be doing them a favour but if its not really doing anything for you and you are knackerd from work/other pursuits/life grief in general maybe pass on this one........ or pull your self together man and get on with it!!!!! :)

I spent most of my life doing original stuff , working out new covers takes me ages As I think when I was doing my own stuff my mind would work differently letting my imagination take over , I get frustrated working other peoples stuff out thinking " what the flip are they doing " Once I've worked out one or two songs by the same artist /bassist I do find it easier .

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1473155076' post='3127377']

Blue
[/quote]

I agree.

Guest bassman7755

I don't mind working out pretty much any song and I've learnt something from most of them even if its something I wouldn't listen to by choice. Quite often I've developed a new respect for a song that was previously "meh"(*) after having been forced to work it out.

(*) just need to state for the record that this absolutely did not apply to Rocking in the free world which remains the most dirgy hateful song on planet earth.

I've recently been learning a whole new set, of pretty challenging songs.
Well, out of a set of 26 i knew about 6 already, so 20 new songs. Not as many as some of you.
But none of them have been "gimmes". All funk soul and disco. Think Jamiroquai etc
It's been a challenge for sure but i've enjoyed it. Good songs to learn, great practice working them out.
I haven't had too much of a time constraint though. I've got about 8 weeks in all to learn them.
Good fun!!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1473156830' post='3127401']

[/quote]

Yes. Chords.

at least you have something to fall back on

For me it's the structures I have to write out , the lines and parts in most covers are the easy bits , it's the awkward odd bars that I have to get in the right place , you have to play bass with confidence in the structure.

Feel for you, many times I've said yes , then wished I hadn't :)

I do most of my song learning away from the bass. I like to write out a chord chart and map out the song structure. I have a Word document template I always use for this. The process of writing it out really helps me remember things like variations and fiddly sections.

I also use iReal Pro app to programme in the songs and play along with as it helps me concentrate better than if I were to just play along with actual recordings.

There are no short cuts and it is just a matter of putting the hours in. I try to make it more educational by learning the song on guitar or keyboard so at least the time spent is helping refine my playing skills (I don't have any) on those instruments. You will find ways to keep it interesting.

When all else fails just play muted dead notes to cover any gaps. :)

Good luck.

I had 7 hours decent kip last night, so once the kids are in bed I'll be giving it another push.

Just swapped a chrome Gotoh bridge to a black one on a bass so after an initial set up I played a bit and it seems my playing is in better form today.

Just hope my ears are.

I don't want to let the guy down, and I don't want to damage my reputation...so I will be hammering it. And reminding myself how I'd want a dep to behave if I needed one.