Why become a member? ×

Attention Span - New Set to learn

AndyTravis

I've done this a few times; learning sets of tunes I'm not that keen on for deps. What I have found is, although it's a PITA, it's a great way of keeping your chops up and often you find that the same tunes crop up in many band's sets (you know the ones I mean) so it's also good for the future.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1473143957' post='3127241']
...I HATE!!! it even more when a band member says "can we drop this one"
[/quote]

Oh god yes, worst was on a dep last year, struggled with a Stone Temple Pilots song - wasn't that hard, just couldn't click with it for a while. Then get to a rehearsal a month or so after getting the set-list to be told "oh no, we just soundcheck with that one and haven't been playing it recently." Raging.

Edited by Graham

Playing with 4 different bands this month (some deps, some my own band) which has me learning/remembering a total of 83 'different' songs... it does get to a point where one or two of them (especially the non-riff orientated, repetitive ones) just won't stick in my head. However, a gig is the quickest way to focus the mind and it'll be alright on the night. :)

It depends how you wish to position yourself over this. Are they tunes you'll use again, if so then this is the start of being a dep.
You'll have to fathom a way to get them confortable.
The band also have to reasonable... trhey give you THE set list for THE gig and you choose which ones you can NOT do justice to..

Learning 22 songs for a one-off gig for £60 is not a good way to do business... if these are standards and you don't know them, then that is yoyr fault, as such...
If they aren't standards and you'll not need them again, then they need to supply a chart or pad.
Mosr bands who do this regularly, will have a pad that you borrow and you'll be reading the gig, by and large.

No one I know will do rehearsals, and home study...which might add up to 5-6 hrs prep work for a one-off £60... and neither will the bands expect them to...

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1473115897' post='3127169']
the easy ones seem to be harder to remember.
[/quote]

They really are - my last band did 'ever fallen in love' and 'teenage kicks'. I could never tell them apart. I have a sheet with the start note of every song. with my hand in the right position it means I can probably work it out from there!

There's normally a crossover of material between different bands and after a while your library gets so that it isn't such a shock. You have a lot of work to do so break it down into smaller chunks. 5 tunes a day, something like that. Appreciate you are helping a mate but as a rule the effort, in this case, exceeds the reward. 2 reasons i would turn it down - don't have the time - i like to learn the sh*te out of a tune. Good luck.

[quote name='JohnR' timestamp='1473178608' post='3127719']
I do most of my song learning away from the bass. I like to write out a chord chart and map out the song structure. I have a Word document template I always use for this. The process of writing it out really helps me remember things like variations and fiddly sections.

I also use iReal Pro app to programme in the songs and play along with as it helps me concentrate better than if I were to just play along with actual recordings.

There are no short cuts and it is just a matter of putting the hours in. I try to make it more educational by learning the song on guitar or keyboard so at least the time spent is helping refine my playing skills (I don't have any) on those instruments. You will find ways to keep it interesting.

When all else fails just play muted dead notes to cover any gaps. :)

Good luck.
[/quote]

For learning covers there are definitely short cuts.

Back in my day, you learned from moving that needle back and fourth on the old record player. The bass tracks in many cases were buried in the mix.

The short cuts, now there are YouTube clips, tutorials tbat will show you the position to play in and all the notes. In some cases there's isolated bass tracks.

Contrary to a few bass chat members there are excellent tutorials out there on YouTube.

There's no reason to suck anymore.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1473153758' post='3127356']
This is why I could never play in a covers band, I just don't have the discipline to learn a load of songs that I don't like & have no interest in. I would find it a pretty miserable experience.
[/quote]

Learning covers correctly is hard disciplined work and not for everyone.

Blue

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1473116204' post='3127171']
They're all really straight forward. I think I'm just being lazy/belligerent.
[/quote]

Then you might want to consider stepping down and only taking on projects your enthusiastic about with material you like and have a connection to.

Blue

Edited by blue

Off topic. Be careful about learning any more than 5 songs for an audition, unless you are certain you are an all around match for the band.

Even if you are spot on an nail every song if your not a match, by age look, gender, ethnicity or whatever you won't get the gig and usually they will not tell you why.

Blue