Why become a member? ×

How to get a sound like a Rick, without a Rick?

alyctes

At the risk of offering a serious suggestion, and thus impeding the torrent of piss-taking heading towards the OP, I'd start by lowering the action to the point where the strings are routinely clanking against the fretboard.

No, really I would.

Then I'd set the EQ on my amp to remove almost all of the bass.

I'm not trying to be funny.

Imo, only a Rik will get you there. It is a unique sound, combination of pups, neckthru and woods :)

I had one but didn't really get on with it, like a lot of others on here have.
I now use a faker that is easier for me to play lighter, cheaper, sounds a bit different (tho with the neck pickup isolated it gets close) and I just prefer it to the real thing, there you go.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1472804422' post='3124337']
Surely it's all in the fingers?!?!!
[/quote]
It's funny because I'am normally one to say that :)
A lot of it is, but choice of axe will have it's own accent, guess a bit like what pre amp, box or amp you use? Maybe.

I love all this "Rick sound " stuff.
Who's?
Geddy, Squire, Lemmy, Entwistle, Burton, McCartney?

They all use different amps, cabs, live effects, studio effects,strings, techiques etc.
Live sound, throw an (undoubtedly excellent) engineer in to the mix ( :blush: )

I can get most P's to do a passable Rick sound IF SUCH A THING really exists.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1472804495' post='3124338']
Imo, only a Rik will get you there. It is a unique sound, combination of pups, neckthru and woods :)

I had one but didn't really get on with it, like a lot of others on here have.
I now use a faker that is easier for me to play lighter, cheaper, sounds a bit different (tho with the neck pickup isolated it gets close) and I just prefer it to the real thing, there you go.
[/quote]

That's the truth of it, there's tricks to getting [i]one[/i] Ric sound for sure, for example Squire's, Maccas etc, but to get all of them, which all Rics can do because despite what people say, they are extremely versatile instruments, you'll need a Ric. IME there is no instrument that has quite such a unique set of tonal characteristics.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1472804976' post='3124342']
I love all this "Rick sound " stuff.
Who's?
Geddy, Squire, Lemmy, Entwistle, Burton, McCartney?

They all use different amps, cabs, live effects, studio effects,strings, techiques etc.
Live sound, throw an (undoubtedly excellent) engineer in to the mix ( :blush: )

I can get most P's to do a passable Rick sound IF SUCH A THING really exists.
[/quote]

Yep, fair points Karl, but the Ric sound [i]does [/i]exist. In purest form - noFX, tone wide open - it has a pipey quality, especially from the front PUP (it's what Macca's mid-era Beatles tone was defined by). Yes, plenty of players have used a lot of amplification and effects to extend that tone, but I think there's something about the core of that tone that led those players to use Rics in the first place. Let's face it, it certainly wasn't ergonomics :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1472805071' post='3124343']
That's the truth of it, there's tricks to getting [i]one[/i] Ric sound for sure, for example Squire's, Maccas etc, but to get all of them, which all Rics can do because despite what people say, they are extremely versatile instruments, you'll need a Ric. IME there is no instrument that has quite such a unique set of tonal characteristics.
[/quote]

Exactly Chris :)
They are daft versatile, which is why I always chuckle when I hear the phrase "Rick sound".

... and when you hear pure Ric tone, you recognise it. There's a few seconds of Ric on a Taylor Swift track - I forget which - played with a pic, both PUPs open, and it just screams "RICKENBACKER BASS' at you :) The only way to get that tone without a Ric is to use a synth, I've genuinely never found another bass that can do it.

In fairness Chris, you are much more experienced with Ricks than I am, but, for me, the original core Rick sound was fingerstyle with flats.
In my world, the 1st one I noticed to expand on that was Chris Squires, although I know he was only one of many experimenting.
As I understand it, he used a guitar amp for "treble" pup, bass amp for "bass" pup.
He really took it a long way from the core sound.

Yet many folk call his sound The Rick Sound.
Even the difference between pick and fingers is massive.

And whats the matter with ergonomics? Don't you like wrist slashing binding and most of the chromework off a Cadillac Eldorado :lol:

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1472805620' post='3124352']
... and when you hear pure Ric tone, you recognise it. There's a few seconds of Ric on a Taylor Swift track - I forget which - played with a pic, both PUPs open, and it just screams "RICKENBACKER BASS' at you :) The only way to get that tone without a Ric is to use a synth, I've genuinely never found another bass that can do it.
[/quote]
Same thing with Paul Gray on bass with the Hotrods and the Damned, unmistakable Rik for me. That soft clank :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twBjYX8ni4I

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1472806734' post='3124359']
Gareth Holder aka Brian Helicopter from the Shapes is who I think about when someone mentions the Ric Sound
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrAEkvWuK8A[/media]
[/quote]
Like that.
How could you get that sound with a P or Jazz? I don't see it.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1472805807' post='3124355']
Same thing with Paul Gray on bass with the Hotrods and the Damned, unmistakable Rik for me. That soft clank :)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twBjYX8ni4I[/media]
[/quote]

You gotta love PG.

2 reasons I'd love a Ric: Paul Gray and Cliff Burton...

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1472805807' post='3124355']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twBjYX8ni4I[/media]
[/quote]

I love it when an expert bass player announces "and you can hear that lovely clear piano tone" before playing a few notes that couldn't sound less like a piano if you hit it with an adjustable spanner.

:lol:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1472817974' post='3124494']
I love it when an expert bass player announces "and you can hear that lovely clear piano tone" before playing a few notes that couldn't sound less like a piano if you hit it with an adjustable spanner.

:lol:
[/quote]

I thought EXACTLY the same! :tatice_03: