Why become a member? ×

punch - definition?

samhay

"punch" for me, would be transient attack, rather than frequency specific

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472179462' post='3119193']
...Some songs are better suited with a clean Jameson sound...
[/quote]

Did he ever have a clean sound? I'm sure most of what I've heard has been heavily compressed and pretty driven

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1472190287' post='3119203']
You know when your eyes light up and your heart's lifted by a thread title; heft, punch, growl, utter bollox? :lol:

Edit: describing sound is like trying to describe an orgasm.
[/quote]

Oomph, punch, heft, growl - yeah that's pretty much how I'd describe it lol

On reflection, probably best not.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1472162709' post='3119115']

Crikey. I always thought anything around 40Hz and below was like being rogered with God's mighty gut-jumbler.
[/quote]

Ha ha ha!!!!

Punch: notes with plenty of 'attack', so that the sound wave starts with a big, beefy peak that punches through clearly. Typical of players who use a pick or a harder finger style.

Heft: a tone that has plenty of junk in the trunk; one that's not shy about its low end and has lots going on sub 200Hz (giving it plenty of size and 'weight'). The sound wave looks like a ski jump.

Growl: this comes from having plenty going on in the mid-range, typically between 400Hz - 1kHz. Kinda like the opposite of a 'scooped' smiley face EQ - the growl tone looks like an angry, downturned mouth with a peak in the mids and trailing off towards the lows and highs. Grrr!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472166988' post='3119143']
I don't know what an Hz is.

For me punch is a delicate balance of your high and low end, clean with just the right amount if sustain.

Back in the 70s when I was able to manage an SVT, you flipped the on switch and you had punch right out of the gate.

Now with my GK 1001rb w/ 2 10s stacked on top of a 1 15 RBX cab and a fully loaded pedal board, I struggle to dial in the punch I would like.

Blue
[/quote]

So the tone is all in your fingers, but the punch is in the amp?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472179462' post='3119193']
If your playing songs by Korn, heavy distortion might come into the picture.

[/quote]

Sure, if you want to sound nothing like Korn...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1472163746' post='3119124']
It's a thankless task trying to describe sound, or the constituents of sound, in words... particularly if one man's heft is another man's punch and quite possibly a third man's cheese omelette. With ketchup.
[/quote]

Then my quest to find the spelling of the sound of a raspberry is fruitless?

I'm likely to worry my band at tonight's gig, as I collapse over my amp crying with laughter when I recall this thread as I try to find a decent sound!

I'd re-lable the tone controls on my amp 'heft' 'punch' and 'oomph', if only I could work out which was which.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1472224190' post='3119623']
I'd re-lable the tone controls on my amp 'heft' 'punch' and 'oomph', if only I could work out which was which.
[/quote]

I'm hoping that there might be an Ashdown employee here who will take that suggestion further. Maybe we need to label new amps with imogees instead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbd4t-ua-WQ

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1472273106' post='3119945']
I'm hoping that there might be an Ashdown employee here who will take that suggestion further. Maybe we need to label new amps with imogees instead...
[/quote]

Errrm that's 'emojis' and don't Orange do it already?