Why become a member? ×

5 String Precisions

bassjamm

Whatcha'...

Just wondering what 5 String Precisions are out there in the mid to high-end price range (I guess that's £500 and above)?

i know Fender make one that's £1500 new. Then there's the odd Lakland. Mike Lull do them, and Overwater, both around £2k. Any others nearer the £1k mark?

Thanks
J

[quote name='bassjamm' timestamp='1469917554' post='3102051']
Good shout. No idea...had a quick look, but couldn't really make much sense out of their product range.
[/quote]

California VS
http://www.configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/?code=CAV2-VS:S-N-5S-34-MF-BKB-ASH-NOT-RWF-F-DTA-MHMF-CRH-CLT-2EQ-BP-BCP-RH

I'd go with a VM or VT though for flexibility... M = musicman pickup in the bridge slot, T = Jazz pickup in the bridge slot.

The nicest P5 I ever played, bar none, was a Sadowsky and well over the 1,000 price range. That said, I'm actually pretty impressed by the American Fenders and wouldn't mind adding one to my arsenal (since Sadowskys just aren't in my budget these days!). The Sandberg that Iain posted doesn't look too shabby, either.

[quote name='bassjamm' timestamp='1469923779' post='3102093']

ezbass - dangerous suggestion that! Ha!
[/quote]:D :D :D

Of course, if you don't mind the MM p/up, off the shelf is always available https://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jake/5-string

Again if you don't mind the MM bridge pickup then the Schecter Diamond-P Custom-5 is meant to be pretty decent.
Personally I just wanted the P split pickup and nothing at the bridge but didn't want to spend the Fender American Standard money. Got the Squier VM version which plays and feels far far better than a sub £300 bass has any right to. Didn't sound too bad either but a few quid spent on upgrading the electronics and it now sounds fantastic.
I've owned some very high end expensive basses costing several thousand pounds but this is actually now my favorite bass that I've owned and still owes me less than your £500 starting point.
I do still get GAS for some of those Maruszczyks thought - stunning looking basses!

Edited by Painy

For some reason, I just can't accept a MM pickup in a P body. It doesn't work for me...though, some of those Maruszczyk basses do look nice.

As for the Fender B string debate...I'm going to be going for E-C tuning.

I know that's normally done on more modern, boutique basses. I've been there myself with that. I think I need to try it on a 5 string Precision though, most likely with a J pup at the bridge too.

Hmm...

The Xotic XP-1T 5 string is definitely worth a look. Probably on the top of your budget (unless you can find a used one), but they make really great basses!

http://thebassgallery.com/index.php/bass/5-string/xp-1t-5-string.html

Si

Seconded on the Squier VM. Knockout bass for not much money, excellent build quality & sound, even stock. Recently started favouring it over my Am Dlx Jazz V, over 4 times the price! That said I string my basses E to high B, so don't know how a low B handles on it. Don't care either!

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1469958237' post='3102227']
Again if you don't mind the MM bridge pickup then the Schecter Diamond-P Custom-5 is meant to be pretty decent.
[/quote]

I've had one of the Diamond P Custom 5s for four years now and I really rate it; somehow, it's managed to outlast two Roscoe Beck 5s that I've had too, which is saying something!