Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

I've been using a small pedal board for a while with my Rock project, but my fusion band has a gig in May, so with a few additions I'd post the big one again 🤣

For this Band I'll be using an 82 JV Squire jazz and a Yamaha BB1024

Tone Enhancement section

EBS Microbass 2 - A/B box/ Preamp/DI/ Overdrive/ headphone amp and Effects loop. very useful bit of kit and great quality sound. In the loop I have all of the effects, so I can use them through the Headphones. I use this live as an A/B Box and set the eq/drive sections to be as flat as possible, Channel A is clean but with the tube sim and bright engaged.

(From the EBS link jack) - Donner Deluxe Mini tuner- kept losing the Headstock thing and got fed up of asking the the Keyboard player to give me an E 😂

Sadowsky BP2 preamp - mostly to add Treble and bass to the EBS channel B which is a drive channel. I have the Drive a zero and mids set flat, it's a darker but quieter sound. The Sadowsky equalises the volume difference.

FEA Optifet - my favourite compressor, so much control and a great tone. Depending on the internal switches, it can sound like a Cali76CB (not as bright) or a fat Diamond. The sidechain allows the lows to breath. I have it set at its cleanest setting.

JPTR FX Jive Reel Saturator - great little pedal thst just adds a warm Thickness to the tone when set low. The three switchable Diodes provides OD/Distortion abd even a pseudo Fuzz with silicon switched in (reminiscent of a Mastatron)

BOSS LS2 - splits the signal after the comp, so all effects have compression beforehand. Has two seperate lines of FX that I can switch between or run in parallel

Loop A - general effects.

Aguilar Octamizer -  great versatile and fat sounding octave, the filter and tilt EQ makes it useful. This is used for parallel octave, or switching between different octave tones.

EBS Bass IQ - this is a great sounding filter!! Lots of variation with the modes and simple to use. Not as fat or resonant as some, but has a great tight/clear filter tone that cuts through really well. 

EBS Dphaser - As above but a funky, swirly,fat and very cool Digital Phaser. I love this thing

Loop B - Synth Channel

Emma - Okto Nojs - Octaver and synthy Dynamic Fuzz in one pedal, can be used individualy or combined for Dirty synth tones.

Source Audio C4 synth- had one of these before, with a posh midi thing, only used 6 sounds in it 🤣

Synths/octavers/filters/phasers allsorts in here, but just sticking to thd six sounds this time

3 Leaf Groove Regulator - Spencers original (and to many, his best) lovely subtle sounding filter, which is fat organic and funky. Works great as part of a synth setup.

Source Audio Gemini - Every type of Modulation available. I have Chorus/Flangers and Phasers built in. Works great adding Chorus to the Analog/Digital synth sounds I have available.

20230416_135508.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 10

The evolution continues... 

Off went the Fender Downtown Express. I needed a compressor and this just didn't work for me. I was ok with the EQ and distortion, it was a good pedal but I found myself mainly using it for the mute. 

I wanted to have something at the front of my chain so added a Behringer clone of the Boss LMB-3. I'm using this as a limiter to try and even out the volume spikes, it's a pain when we are running our own PA. I also knew that getting rid of the Fender DTE meant I could do with a distortion. I got the Marshall Guvnor 2, it can do everything from just a volume boost to cranking the gain all the way for a guitar like overdrive, think the lead guitar intro to Paranoid. This will be really useful for me. 

Then I knew I wanted a DI as a safety net in case I have amp issues. I bought a Behringer BDI21 and thought it was awful. It was noisy but even if it wasn't I couldn't stand the sound. I got an MXR M80, I had no time to test it, my first use was Friday nights gig! It held up very well.

All these new pedals means more power needed. I could daisy chain off the wireless but I wanted isolated power, so my caline power pack is now mounted under the board and on the board I have a Donner power pack with a ton of free slots. 

This board is almost overkill, there's some gigs where I won't use the wah pedal or Octave, and the Reverb is used very sparingly unless I'm on fretless, which is rare on gigs. However, I'm happy I've got most sounds I could ever want covered adequately and can upgrade some of the cheaper pedals and bits over time if I see the benefit. 

IMG20230417191702.jpg

• Like 4

On 16/04/2023 at 21:52, lee650 said:

I've been using a small pedal board fir a while with my Rock project, but my fusion band gas a gig in May, do with a few additions I'd post the big one again 🤣

For this Band I'll be using an 82 JV Squire jazz and a Yamaha BB1024

Tone Enhancement section

EBS Microbass 2 - A/B box/ Preamp/DI/ Overdrive/ headphone amp and Effects loop. very useful bit of kit and great quality sound. In the loop I have all of the effects, so I can use them through the Headphones. I use this live as an A/B Box and set the eq/drive sections to be as flat as possible, Channel A is clean but with the tube sim and bright engaged.

(From the EBS link jack) - Donner Deluxe Mini tuner- kept losing the Headstock thing and got fed up of asking the the Keyboard player to give me an E 😂

Sadowsky BP2 preamp - mostly to add Treble and bass to the EBS channel B which is a drive channel. I have the Drive a zero and mids set flat, it's a darker but quieter sound. The Sadowsky equalises the volume difference.

FEA Optifet - my favourite compressor, so much control and a great tone. Depending on the internal switches, it can sound like a Cali76CB (not as bright) or a fat Diamond. The sidechain allows the lows to breath. I have it set at its cleanest setting.

JPTR FX Jive Reel Saturator - great little pedal thst just adds a warm Thickness to the tone when set low. The three switchable Diodes provides OD/Distortion abd even a pseudo Fuzz with silicon switched in (reminiscent of a Mastatron)

BOSS LS2 - splits the signal after the comp, so all effects have compression beforehand. Has two seperate lines of FX that I can switch between or run in parallel

Loop A - general effects.

Aguilar Octamizer -  great versatile and fat sounding octave, the filter and tilt EQ makes it useful. This is used for parallel octave, or switching between different octave tones.

EBS Bass IQ - this is a great sounding filter!! Lots of variation with the modes and simple to use. Not as fat or resonant as some, but has a great tight/clear filter tone that cuts through really well. 

EBS Dphaser - As above but a funky, swirly,fat and very cool Digital Phaser. I love this thing

Loop B - Synth Channel

Emma - Okto Nojs - Octaver and synthy Dynamic Fuzz in one pedal, can be used individualy or combined for Dirty synth tones.

Source Audio C4 synth- had one of these before, with a posh midi thing, only used 6 sounds in it 🤣

Synths/octavers/filters/phasers allsorts in here, but just sticking to thd six sounds this time

3 Leaf Groove Regulator - Spencers original (and to many, his best) lovely subtle sounding filter, which is fat organic and funky. Works great as part of a synth setup.

Source Audio Gemini - Every type of Modulation available. I have Chorus/Flangers and Phasers built in. Works great adding Chorus to the Analog/Digital synth sounds I have available.

20230416_135508.jpg

Miss my OG Groove Regulator. Great filter. Prob in my top three envelope filters. Not a pedal you see crop up often either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moley6knipe said:

@danny-79 - nice. Interested in your brackets for slinging the thumpinator under the board… what did you use for that, looks like they’re screwing in to the base plate?

It’s thick 6mm plexi plastic that I’ve used to cable tie the pedals down with, chain links on the thump and screwed it into the plastic 

• Like 1

peavey.thumb.jpg.3be5e1a3e57033ae98922bf30a753d7e.jpgEDF120AB-17A2-4896-8F58-614415490346.thumb.JPG.e550a1170fc672f62e515cbd6f574d8a.JPG

so glad i took the gamble on a cavebear! (NON Human Audio) oh boy! such a great sounding pedal! and the most simple distortion/fuzz on my board!!

also got to try out a new addition to the rig my Peavey mk3 400 series! ( due to my gk crapping itself!!! ) that into a 215 is just lovely!

Edited by 0175westwood29
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, 0175westwood29 said:

peavey.thumb.jpg.3be5e1a3e57033ae98922bf30a753d7e.jpgEDF120AB-17A2-4896-8F58-614415490346.thumb.JPG.e550a1170fc672f62e515cbd6f574d8a.JPG

so glad i took the gamble on a cavebear! (NON Human Audio) oh boy! such a great sounding pedal! and the most simple distortion/fuzz on my board!!

also got to try out a new addition to the rig my Peavey mk3 400 series! ( due to my gk crapping itself!!! ) that into a 215 is just lovely!

Can you compare it to anything? Some of my fav pedals (and big regrets over selling), were those with super simple controls - Fuzzrocious Ram the Manparts springs to mind.

Edited by pantherairsoft
  • Like 1

Replaced my B7K Ultra and the Cali Compact Bass for a BassRig Super Vintage and the Empress Compressor. Decided to treat myself as I just got promoted in my work.

The OC-2 preset I found for my C4 is really good and decided to let go of my OC-2.

Going for a blue and industrial themed board. Compact setup for life!

Next on my GAS list is a JMJ Mustang Bass ❤️

IMG20230419135247-01.thumb.jpeg.c0078ca70bf8e77df900345952b83387.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, northcountrybob said:

Nice! How do you like the Bass Rig compared to the B7K?

I'd say the Bassrig suits my taste and gives me the tone I'm after better that the B7K. Always been a fan of the ampeg sound. I love the B7k however, you can't unhear that "darkglass" signature sound even at low gain.

Even the ampeg IR from shiftline that I loaded in the B7K is nowhere near what the Super Vintage can give in my experience. Also love that there is a cabsim switch that is engaged even when the pedal is off as long as you are connected to the xlr out. 

I love that the drive is really responsive to my attack as I dig in and the breakup point sounds like a real tube.

Here's a sound sample I did earlier

Edited by Chadu25
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Chadu25 said:

I'd say the Bassrig suits my taste and gives me the tone I'm after better that the B7K. Always been a fan of the ampeg sound. I love the B7k however, you can't unhear that "darkglass" signature sound even at low gain.

Even the ampeg IR from shiftline that I loaded in the B7K is nowhere near what the Super Vintage can give in my experience. Also love that there is a cabsim switch that is engaged even when the pedal is off as long as you are connected to the xlr out. 

I love that the drive is really responsive to my attack as I dig in and the breakup point sounds like a real tube.

Here's a sound sample I did earlier

Wow! That sounds tremendous! Do you plan on using this live? I'm interested in seeing how your c4 matches upto the oc2 in live settings... I currently use a 3leaf octabvre mini for my octave solo'd and a C4 for synth stuff, but would love to free up the space (and funds) for a midi controller. Haven't got the bottle to try the c4 in its place though 

1 hour ago, thisisswanbon said:

Wow! That sounds tremendous! Do you plan on using this live? I'm interested in seeing how your c4 matches upto the oc2 in live settings... I currently use a 3leaf octabvre mini for my octave solo'd and a C4 for synth stuff, but would love to free up the space (and funds) for a midi controller. Haven't got the bottle to try the c4 in its place though 

Yeah! It sounds so rich, full, cutting to the mix yet not too aggressive. I've used the C4 many times. I mostly play in church and we have an ampless setup. Excited to try out the Bassrig and empress and break it in. In the meantime, I'm looking to join any bands here in London which are in the blues/rock/funk genre. Really want to experience playing actual gigs here and be in a band with original materials.

I've done a quickie comparison of my C4 and OC-2 last month. You can watch here

Edited by Chadu25
  • Like 1

On 18/04/2023 at 10:58, AJ567 said:

Very tidy build, congrats!

What are you using for the patch bay? Looks neat.

Also, what is the spare plug next to the thumpinator doing?

Cheers! 
The patch bay is home made, piece of plastic, chain links. Locking Neutric Jack plugs. 
the disconnected Jack by the thump is for the wireless 

BEFBA178-58FB-4632-8DED-0AF429D6F1D9.jpeg

• Like 1

Here's my rather minimalist affair.  @Smanth posted her Rockboard Duo which was just the job for my little set up.  Assembled it this morning - took me ages, at least 15 mins. :D 

2/3 the size and half the weight of my old Pedaltrain Mini.

IMG_20230421_114805.thumb.jpg.95158723a6a7dc5009d538fdc3d6a45e.jpg

IMG_20230421_114848.thumb.jpg.c385b443937309453de6cc8c83f32f29.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Here's my rather minimalist affair.  @Smanth posted her Rockboard Duo which was just the job for my little set up.  Assembled it this morning - took me ages, at least 15 mins. :D 

2/3 the size and half the weight of my old Pedaltrain Mini.

IMG_20230421_114805.thumb.jpg.95158723a6a7dc5009d538fdc3d6a45e.jpg

IMG_20230421_114848.thumb.jpg.c385b443937309453de6cc8c83f32f29.jpg

Nice compact board! Love that Spectradrive. Very reliable and a 3 in 1 pedal ❤️

• Thanks 1