dudewheresmybass

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

25 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Later on in that vid though, I can definitely hear noise in the background whilst playing, it is of course hard to pick out though as the guitar is so loud. To filter noise from the actual signal whilst playing would be on another level above everyone else, and they would surely be shouting about it from the hilltops!

The key input is a good addition above simple 2-jack noise gates, but many these days have an effects loop which achieves exactly the same thing but without needing to split your signal separately.

BTW you don’t necessarily need a dedicated pedal to split the signal, you could use a double jack adaptor or cable splitter. The parallel out on the X7 is hard wired to the input jack, so no different to using one of those in terms of wiring connections!

my guess is that its digital, and it actually "learns" the noise in the signal. i had a plugin that did somthing similar once (L6 gearbox) it was very effective

Just now, GisserD said:

my guess is that its digital, and it actually "learns" the noise in the signal. i had a plugin that did somthing similar once (L6 gearbox) it was very effective

*edit. i came to this conclusion as its really power hungry.

I assumed analog but I don't actually know, it only needs 40ma.

Here is a good thread which comments on the noise reduction whilst playing e.t.c.

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=194020

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Thank god for that!

I think there are a few schools of thought on splitter boxes really.  Quality may be the key?

The Darkglass parallel out is just a simple passive splitter. It’ll better than most cheapo jack adapters due to the fact it’ll be better shielded due to being in a metal box.

But because it’s not buffered or isolated in any way, your main signal could be affected depending on what kind of pedal you plug into the parallel output. But mostly you’ll be fine and not notice anything!

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

*edit. i came to this conclusion as its really power hungry.

My money is still on the fact it’s just a really well engineered regular noise gate. With a cool AF name and design! Filtering noise without tone suck is a tricky business (remember the Dolby button on cassette players?). Also 40mA is quite low for a digital pedal, most are in the 100mA ballpark.

quite right, i diddnt actually know the consumption. i was going by what it admits on their own website about them recomending a power supply as it eats batteries

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Speaking in the layest of layman's terms, is a noise gate like an upside down compressor? 

I was hoping someone more expert than me was going to revert on Stew's query, but here goes:

I personally wouldn't describe it as an inverted compressor, because a compressor is typically acting on both the peaks and troughs of a signal, but more an inverted limiter (which I accept is a type of compressor); whereas a limiter cuts the signal above a certain threshold to limit peaks (e.g to protect your speakers and / or stop you sounding like a Richard mid-set if your hand decides to take on a life of its own), a noise gate stops any signal getting through until it reaches a certain threshold level e.g. to prevent annoying white and / or dirt-pedal noise.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

My money is still on the fact it’s just a really well engineered regular noise gate. With a cool AF name and design! Filtering noise without tone suck is a tricky business (remember the Dolby button on cassette players?). Also 40mA is quite low for a digital pedal, most are in the 100mA ballpark.

I still think it’s Analog...have you seen something somewhere saying Digital? Not that it matters in the slightest, but power consumption is very low for digital, and the fact the manufacture refers to it as “power hungry” seems to indicate it’s analog, as I don’t think anyone could say 40ma is power hungry for digital. The Sentry is 100, for example.

Just to be clear though, it does 100% remove noise around the note, you still seem to be doubting it 😂 I’ll try and record a sound clip at some point to demonstrate.

*disclaimer* I have no clue of the internal mechanics of a noise gate, so I don’t even know if it’s possible to be analog or digital... 😂

Yes, it'll likely be analog. The reason I'm sceptical about it removing noise from the actual note is that I know how difficult that would be to achieve from an engineering perspective, and the maker only refers to it being a noise gate. All noise gates work on the same principal of only letting the signal through when it's over a certain level. The better ones are finely tuned in their response time so that your ears don't detect the noise as the note decays. Usually that's the only time you'll hear  the noise, so if the Zuul clamps down really quickly and efficiently, it'll seem as if the noise has disappeared entirely.

Noise reduction to remove the noise completely though, is a whole other ball game. It usually relies on digital trickery, much like noise cancelling headphones. It's much more advanced and would be a pedal first as far as I know!

Like I say, it doesn’t remove the noise completely, so yes it is likely just that it’s very efficient...or it’s magic.  End result is all I am concerned about, and end result is a very clean (well, no, but you know what I mean!) high gain sound that sustains throughout the natural decay of the note, as well as the basic muted noise gating action you’d expect.  I love it 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarshallBTB said:

Nice. How do you find the wireless? 

The wireless is the audio teechnica system 10, and works exactly like it should. No drop outs, unless I’ve moved so far away that the time delay of the sound from the amp makes things unplayable anyway.  They are discontinued now; I notice that the next generation of wireless stomp boxes are more compact.

After a few years being inactive on Basschat; ive just come back to have a look through all your awesome pedalboards!

I wish i had one to post.... but i now use a HX stomp 🙈🙈

20190413_233813.jpg

• Like 2