Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

They certainly are expensive. But having received it, I can see why. The thing just oozes quality and the attention to detail and pure craftsmanship is outstanding. Martyn at Schmidt Array’s customer service is also one of the best I’ve ever come across. Lovely chap. Got some unexpected time on my hands so the board build is taking place as we speak....

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Is there any noticeable latency from all the AD/DA conversion going on?

Not that I noticed, I gigged it Sunday night - some ludicrous stuff going on (up to five simultaneous effects on each unit possible) but latency didn't appear to be a problem  My fabourite was a distortion featuring octave up, octave down and several overdrive, big muff type stuff going on Along  with noise gates and compression  As I say ludicrous but enormous fun. My original idea was to collect ms-60b pedals and do a board full of them but they're harder to come by. Still planning to do it over time. 

The experience of using it live actually taught me a lot about what I really want to bring in and out and what is less useful. HPF, volume boost, compression, some kind of ott gnarly distortion, envelope, chorus and an always on tubey subtle grit. Occasional flange and phaser effects are useful as are octave and synth sounds but less useful than others. 

I think two B3 units would be awesome. Just to deploy as six standalone pedals. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Compressor 

Sonic landscape??? 

@Al Krowwill be along shortly to tell you how wrong you are!

What you really need for landscaping is a Futue impact or a Source audio C4... and a digger.

Not sure what a "combo" is tho. So maybe a digger wont qualify.

Edited by GisserD

Just now, GisserD said:

Sonic landscape??? 

@Al Krowwill be along shortly to tell you how wrong you are!

What you really need for landscaping is a Futue impact or a Source audio C4... and a digger.

That's why I said, trying to cut Al off at the pass 😁. SY1 doesn't really count as they are like unicorn poo.

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's why I said, trying to cut Al off at the pass 😁. SY1 doesn't really count as they are like unicorn poo.

If you think about it.... there are likley a huge many more unicorn poos..... than unicorn. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GisserD said:

IMHO compressors and crossovers are two of the most subtle effects out there. I actually consider them utilitarian. I hardly think they achieve a "Sonic landscape". 

Can't really argue with that. 

20 minutes ago, GisserD said:

If you think about it.... there are likley a huge many more unicorn poos..... than unicorn. 

Or that! 😁

I'm in awe of some of the  football pitch sized boards on display here, with their own generators, postcodes and "speak your weight" functions. By way of a contrast, I give you a terrible photograph of mine. I'm not even sure that it can be described as a pedal board as it's a piece of MDF, covered in gaffa tape with a few things stuck on it with velcro.

I had a pretty comprehensive board a few years ago, but I found that most of the pedals rarely got used (other than the tuner). Occasionally, I'd hit the Q-Tron to simulate "adult entertainment" incidental music to amuse the lads at rehearsal, but other than that, I was carting around a slab of redundant gizmos to every gig. So, I flogged them all and bought a Zoom B3 and never looked back. The recent addition of the expression pedal (£20!) has meant that I have now programmed all my noises to work only when I rock the pedal up, meaning I have a much larger area to hit with my dainty but uncoordinated feet.

There's a two gang extension socket on the board with a female iec connection, so I can use a regular kettle lead to power it all - I'm not a fan of having skinny power leads on the floor.

Also on my bijou-boardette is a stick on clock - all the way from china - and a cute little tin where I keep the spare batteries for my SmoothHound wireless thing. It all lives in an old Makita drill case which I've padded out with an old foam camping mat. Oh, and a pick holder as well, for no reason other than I had one.

Cheap? Yep. Cheerful? Very.

20191126_222803.thumb.jpg.36e2137fe8c779ac2ae218c7865286f6.jpg

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, rushbo said:

I'm in awe of some of the  football pitch sized boards on display here, with their own generators, postcodes and "speak your weight" functions. By way of a contrast, I give you a terrible photograph of mine. I'm not even sure that it can be described as a pedal board as it's a piece of MDF, covered in gaffa tape with a few things stuck on it with velcro.

I had a pretty comprehensive board a few years ago, but I found that most of the pedals rarely got used (other than the tuner). Occasionally, I'd hit the Q-Tron to simulate "adult entertainment" incidental music to amuse the lads at rehearsal, but other than that, I was carting around slab of redundant gizmos to every gig. So, I flogged them all and bought a Zoom B3 and never looked back. The recent addition of the expression pedal (£20!) has meant that I have now programmed all my noises to work only when I rock the pedal up, meaning I have a much larger area to hit with my dainty but uncoordinated feet.

There's a two gang extension socket on the board with a female iec connection, so I can use a regular kettle lead to power it all - I'm not a fan of having skinny power leads on the floor.

Also on my bijou-boardette is a stick on clock - all the way from china - and a cute little tin where I keep the spare batteries for my SmoothHound wireless thing. It all lives in an old Makita drill case which I've padded out with an old foam camping mat. Oh, and a pick holder as well, for no reason other than I had one.

Cheap? Yep Cheerful? Very.

20191126_222803.thumb.jpg.36e2137fe8c779ac2ae218c7865286f6.jpg

I love everything about this. I can't wait to show you my cardboard pedal board /flight case when it's finished. 

• Like 1

Just used an ME-50B at rehearsal, absolutely dandy thing - first time in ages I’ve used one.

The Q-Tron looked on in disgust but after a factory reset and level set...absolutely fine; might have a few bits up for sale.

I’m not mad on effects so this will do me just fine.

• Like 1

Little bit of soldering done today.

Red - XLR Out - Balanced out straight from the Left Output of the HX Stomp to the desk

Blue and Green - XLR Ins - L and R IEM feeds. I work with a lot of different sound guys from gig to gig, so I usually won’t know whether I have a mono or stereo IEM feed until I get there, and sometimes I won’t even have control of my own mix.

To combat this, I take one side of the Stomp and connect it Yellow. The Schmidt Array connection box has a clever little function in that the Yellow and Green jacks are connected internally, so if you don’t connect anything to them on the external side, signal flows straight from Yellow to Green. This is originally designed for people who want the option of using their amps Fx Loop or just putting everything in front of the Amp. I’ve repurposed this idea so that if I can’t control my own mix, my bass will be sent directly to the Behringer P1, and I can use the balance knob to control the level of my bass separately to the monitor feed. Then all i’ll have to do if I get a stereo feed, is plug the Green jack in and the signal will reroute automatically. 

Yellow will also double as an output to an Amp if needed (I don’t use an amp these days). Black and White are my Bass Input and IEM Output, respectively.

0697644D-0ED6-4EF2-9702-B18A03F2FA28.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Just used an ME-50B at rehearsal, absolutely dandy thing - first time in ages I’ve used one.

The Q-Tron looked on in disgust but after a factory reset and level set...absolutely fine; might have a few bits up for sale.

I’m not mad on effects so this will do me just fine.

I have a similar issue. My Q-Tron was bought because I liked the Zoom patch based upon it. And I think the Zoom does it better.