Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1331116620' post='1567760']
Heres a question for the chaps and chappettes that know - how many pedals can you daisy chain from a single power supply?
[/quote]standard shredfreak adapter and daisychain does 5 standard boss-type compact pedals as a general rule of thumb.
If you need more, then you have to look at adapter specs and pedal current requirements to buy something a little more robust.

Funnily enough I'm doing the exact same just now. I'm looking at a gigrig setup - so 5000mA to play with! I think I need about 1800 or so.

Shep raised a good point in my thread - power supplies are like amps - so need some headroom. Might be worth baring that in mind.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1331122165' post='1567925']
Funnily enough I'm doing the exact same just now. I'm looking at a gigrig setup - so 5000mA to play with! I think I need about 1800 or so.

Shep raised a good point in my thread - power supplies are like amps - so need some headroom. Might be worth baring that in mind.
[/quote]

The GigRig generator and distributers are well worth a look - I power my whole set up from my gen and have plenty to spare; even with the M5. The added bonus is the quality and the size - a compact unit with zero noise and plenty of scope for expansion. The other good thing is that they do a whole range of power adapters for the generator that will power any pedal you can think of so no need for separate supplies for those non-standard pedals. (if your reading this Daniel I will gladly take a new distributor in exchange for the plug!)

Got my Subdecay Quasar DLX in the post yesterday - Awesome pedal. I knew it was a keeper as soon as I plugged it in, so I thought I'd better make it in PhotoShop for my Virtual Board project thingy.

Enjoy!
[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/Higgie123/Bass%20Stuff/Pedal%20Templates/Pedals/QuasarDLX.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1331059008' post='1567046']My lightly modded Boss pedalboard with gigging pedals plus new addition flanger from Pete - thanks :)
Added a couple extra LED's plus extra dc jack socket to the case for the EHX BMS 24V requirement.[/quote]

I really miss my old 24v BMS, those things sound massive. One of the best pedals ever made for bass IMHO.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1331238469' post='1570229']
Dude your board must weigh a ton. Team lift?
[/quote]

Not been officially weighed but its circa 50-55KG at an estimate. Strictly a 2-man lift - unless you are mcgraham who decides to play super man when he helped out at a gig - and nearly broke his back in the process!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1331236628' post='1570167']
Few small tweaks to the board. Need to sort this properly still but layout changes look like this - TC corner...

[/quote]

tell me how you find the Nova Dynamics. I thought this was the comp for me but Bongo's review put me off a bit. I ended up with an MXR, which i really like. Still hanker after the TC though.

Best bit of kit ever. The noise gate is the best I have ever used without a doubt outside of a super expensive studio rack and the compressor is totally transparent. I'm blown away buy how it really does not effect tone at all. Even my sub. I use very subtle compression in 3 band studio mode, just to keep the ear splitting highs in check and it's perfect.

In the single band mode I get a little click if its set to 100% wet. As soon you you mix in any dry (which you will pretty much always do when you play a stringed instrument that heavily relies on the attack of the string) then I don't hear it at all. I doubt I'll ever use the squashy single band stomp mode anyway...

That noise gate needs an award. Bad part is that its discontinued now and TC have none left to ship.

Shep.

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1331240889' post='1570286']
thanks, thought as much. It was already discontinued when I was looking so not too frustrated. Amazing sounding bit of kit. if i look to upgrade I will go for one.
[/quote]

Yeah. I'm really impressed with it. Id never found a compressor aside the onboard ones in EBS amps and the Multicomp that I liked for subtle stuff and I'd never heard a noise gate that didn't kill my low end and my sub stuff. Lovely bit of kit.

New blog post! This time: Modulation & LFO's...

[url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/2012/3/8/signal-chain-basics-part-iii-modulation.html"]Shep on Bass: Signal Chain Basics, Part III: Modulation.[/url]

The original intention was to cover filter-based effects as well but due to the size of the post filters will be covered in a post of their own...

Enjoy. Comment on the blog with any feedback, additions or insults :)

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1331401251' post='1572470']
New blog post! This time: Modulation & LFO's...

[url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/2012/3/8/signal-chain-basics-part-iii-modulation.html"]Shep on Bass: Signal Chain Basics, Part III: Modulation.[/url]

The original intention was to cover filter-based effects as well but due to the size of the post filters will be covered in a post of their own...

Enjoy. Comment on the blog with any feedback, additions or insults :)

Shep
[/quote]
Always thought that flanger was the whooshing, airplane-like sound.. :blink:
Phasers are more watery, for sure. Chorus is just your sound mixed with the detuned sound
but can also have a watery effect as well as the usual "not in tune" wobble-y noise.

Edited by lxxwj

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1331403571' post='1572518']
Always thought that flanger was the whooshing, airplane-like sound.. :blink:
Phasers are more watery, for sure. Chorus is just your sound mixed with the detuned sound
but can also have a watery effect as well as the usual "not in tune" wobble-y noise.
[/quote]

Phasers become 'watery' only when they have controllable resonance (like most modern phasers) and said control is turned up. With little resonance they are quite dry sounding. Chorus is not strictly 'detuned', just out of phase, though the audible effect is much the same. As for flangers - i would certainly not describe them as whoosing, rather fast and highly resonant compared to a chorus effect - though the process of creating the effect is very similar.

http://youtu.be/z5P_p7NCjv4

I guess it's important to point out that they are all capable of achieving deep sounds, or fast sounds etc - a flanger could be used for slow deep whooshing and so your point (lxxwj) is correct. My post pays reference to the 'typical' sounds associated with the effects in order to let the less educated reader get a good overview to the effects application. Your typical flanger will have its 'middle' settings of speed much faster and more resonant that that of a chorus pedal. And a phasers default settings will typically be slow swooshing sounds - not that they are not capable of doing more besides.

I always thought of a flanger doing something like this:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw808PYST1c[/media]
At the beginning and around 5:45. It also is really apparent right at 6:05. (on both the guitar and the bass)
Now that I listen to it, I suppose flanger IS pretty watery.. but with some grit and while playing chords,
there's this really obvious "whoosh" on the highs that I think of as flange. But in actuality, it has BOTH. :D

I think the issue comes from the use of onomatopoeic words like 'wooshing', 'swooshing', 'watery' which are perceived differently by everyone and create expectations in the sound being described - this is a point I think I'll raise on the blog comments actually.

I (and by that I mean my mind and ears) consider the resonant sounds of a flanger to be the most 'watery' of the effects, followed by chorus which I perceive to be a little more 'dark and brooding'. To me the resonance of a phaser is a little more sci-fi and space age rather than watery. This is why listening references are better than words!

Surely everyone can agree that ring modulation can sound like the Transformers though, yeah? :)

[IMG]http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp287/spongebob_sqaurepants/IMAG0086.jpg[/IMG]

My current board. Not changed for a while

X2 Wireless (on back of board, top right) > Korg Pithblack+ > Maxon CP9 Pro+ > MXR Bass Octave Deluxe > TS808 Clone > IE Oxide Fuzz > EHX Neo Mistress > Subdecay Echobox > Zoom B2.1u