Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1332967775' post='1595742']
It's getting there - I take that as high praise indeed coming from the board guru - may have to pick your brains soon. :)
[/quote]

Lol - Cheers. If I'm the pedalboard guru you HAVE to be the long signature guru! That thing is immense! lol

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1332969060' post='1595774']
There you go, rationalised!

So where's the best place to buy George L's - that's going to be be the next dent in my wallet!?
[/quote]

Lol - Effects: Various. Simple but effective. :)

I get my Georgle L's from Hot Rox, but then the actual shop is around the corner form my studio so I can call in. They tend to get stuff out to folks pretty quick though via mail order.

I have crap loads of short lengths (say 3-6 inches) of cable - literally 30 or 40 bits so if you need a couple of short bits to play around with then let me know. I need to go a buy a couple more plugs this week though so I don't have any spare of those...

Shep

Cheers for the offer of the cabling - I may take you up on that - it's just the price of the plugs that are the killer really! Shopping around it seems they're always pretty much the same price.

I'm a bit of a cynical git - do they really make that much difference? Or is it just the cabling can be tailored to each application?

The big bonus is that they save loads of space as the jacks are tiny and the cable is cut to the exact length - which keeps things neat and tidy, but also means you reduce the cable run around your board. When you use 6" patch cables and only really need 3 or 4" you can often have an extra foot of cable on the board when you add all those extras together. In many cases this will have little effect, but every bit of cable 'can' add to your signal noise and gives more surface area to pick up interference.

Sound quality wise they are fantastic, comparable to high quality Neutrik or Switchcraft jacks, though considerably smaller than both.

Once my board is how I want it and I'm happy with it then I had planned to buy L's - I think it's just the initial out lay that is going to hurt a bit/is putting me off - the plan would then be to buy just a few at a time (as you're about to do) when adding to the board, which clearly makes having quality a much less painful experience!

I do like the idea of saving a bit of space - there's actually quite a bit of wasted space on my board for exactly this reason (patch leads/bulky connectors).

All my George Ls have come from Hotrox too I buy a load every so often to spread the cost, would much prefer if I could just pop in though!

Shep you don't happen to know where you could get a replacement grub screw for a straight George L do you? I bought a couple second hand and didn't notice one was missing the grub screw. Not sure if I can just use a normal one of the correct size.

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1332971008' post='1595808']
All my George Ls have come from Hotrox too I buy a load every so often to spread the cost, would much prefer if I could just pop in though!

Shep you don't happen to know where you could get a replacement grub screw for a straight George L do you? I bought a couple second hand and didn't notice one was missing the grub screw. Not sure if I can just use a normal one of the correct size.
[/quote]

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/stainless_grub_screws.htm - here you go. Less than £1 for a pack of 5 in most sizes. I bought a load from them ages ago when I was fixing up some airsoft rifles. I actually have some left over so maybe I have one that fits.

You'll need to know what size the screw is though. Let me know if you don't have the tools to figure that out or can't find the info - I have a set of taps and dyes which came with a thread measurer so I can check it out for you when I get chance.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1332891606' post='1594641']
*drool*
Just needs some dirt.
[/quote]

it's in my rack - modified SWR InterStellar OD ;)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1332921337' post='1594764']
what's the thing that says SHOTT?
[/quote]

footswitch for my SWR InterStelllar OD

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1332931499' post='1594967']
What's with the stopwatch top left? Are you timing your gigs? :P
[/quote]

yes :)

Been rearranging my board a bit today, there may be a Moog low pass filter coming soon which will make things a bit awkward! Other plans are to replace the Hyperdrive, probably with a Rat Tail and I really do need an MP-201 oh and the Source Audio Hot hand EXP controller when it comes out.

Edited by simwells

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1333032275' post='1596506']
Thor if you're looking for some straight George L's jacks I've got loads I'm not using. PM if you're interested mate! (Or anyone else, for that matter!)
[/quote]

Cheers Higgie - I pulled the trigger on some this morning so you can probably guess what I'll be doing tomorrow! I only bought the angled ones so far - I'll give you a shout though if I do find I need some straight connectors. :)

Simwells, just spotted your B3K - what do you think of it? Is it as good as people are saying? I thought the youtube demo sounded pretty good through my laptop speakers.

I love the B3K it is absolutely spot on to cover my overdrive duties and definitely is a pedal that won't be changing. Only thing I would have liked would be a more metallic middy distortion on there so I could get rid of the Hypderdrive but that would be changing the character of the sound of the pedal quite a bit.

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1333038669' post='1596646']
I love the B3K it is absolutely spot on to cover my overdrive duties and definitely is a pedal that won't be changing. Only thing I would have liked would be a more metallic middy distortion on there so I could get rid of the Hypderdrive but that would be changing the character of the sound of the pedal quite a bit.
[/quote]
if you have access to one, try putting the b3k through a boss odb-3 blended. sounds massive, but be careful of extraneous noise/feedback.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1333039971' post='1596667']
if you have access to one, try putting the b3k through a boss odb-3 blended. sounds massive, but be careful of extraneous noise/feedback.
[/quote]

To be fair, most fuzzes/overdrives sound good stacked with the ODB-3. ODB-3 > Muff always sounds massive.

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1333037117' post='1596612']
Cheers Higgie - I pulled the trigger on some this morning so you can probably guess what I'll be doing tomorrow! I only bought the angled ones so far - I'll give you a shout though if I do find I need some straight connectors. :)

Simwells, just spotted your B3K - what do you think of it? Is it as good as people are saying? I thought the youtube demo sounded pretty good through my laptop speakers.

[/quote]

Looks like they've all sold mate I'm afraid!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1332969250' post='1595779']
Lol - Effects: Various. Simple but effective. :)

I get my Georgle L's from Hot Rox, but then the actual shop is around the corner form my studio so I can call in. They tend to get stuff out to folks pretty quick though via mail order.

I have crap loads of short lengths (say 3-6 inches) of cable - literally 30 or 40 bits so if you need a couple of short bits to play around with then let me know. I need to go a buy a couple more plugs this week though so I don't have any spare of those...

Shep
[/quote]

Cool - I think I've been in your studio last year for a Jam with a couple of mates! I popped in to hotrox to get my M5 whilst I was there!! Small world!