Why become a member? ×

How do other people describe your bass playing and what kind of bass player are you?

silverfoxnik

[color=#222222]I'm not a technically gifted player but I seem to get on well with most other musicians, have a light-hearted approach to music and don't voice my opinion in a band without being asked. IMO being a successful musician can be apportioned as follows:[/color]

[color=#222222]30% musical skill[/color]
[color=#222222]70% people skills[/color]

[color=#222222]I have around 150 gigs a year so I guess the most come from the latter. I get by with my mediocre ability on the instrument, but I enjoy listening to what others are doing and playing to compliment that (and mostly stay out of the way!) [/color]

My brother in law has fronted many bands as a singer and guitarist. He says his favourite type of bass player, is the one he doesn't hear.
He tends to play with a lot of dep bassist though. So has low expectations. As long as they don't muck it up too badly,he's happy.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467328177' post='3082956']
I don't think 'invisible' is necessarily a negative comment. If you're doing your job right, i.e. playing for the song, keeping it minimal, making tasteful note choices, sitting in the mix and locking in with the drums then what's the problem? You've turned up, you're in tune, you're playing in time, you're having fun and you're getting paid. Life is good!

Bass players I've seen who deliberately stick their heads above the parapet, play too much/too loudly/out of time and/or don't listen to what their band mates are doing are inevitably bloody awful and would be better off with a guitar. Or possibly a broom.
[/quote]

I agree with you..

Though it hopefully has made for a mildly interesting thread on here, in truth, I'm quite happy to be the 'invisible' one in the band because - as you say - it really means that we're doing our job properly.

And of course, we all know this is true anyway:

http://m.independent.com/news/2014/nov/19/dating-musician-i-recommend-bass-players/?templates=mobile

;)

Edited by silverfoxnik

One of my bands just got a gig review, from a local newspaper in Newbury, describing the rhythm section thus. . . .

[i]"For any lead musician, their bass and drum combination to die for, a rare unity of rhythm and beat, allowing the two lead instruments to relax into some outstanding solos." [/i]

It's a bit flowery but I'm happy that even a guitar playing journalist spotted what we were trying to do. It's not all in vain then.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1467452385' post='3083751']
And of course, we all know this is true anyway:
[url="http://m.independent.com/news/2014/nov/19/dating-musician-i-recommend-bass-players/?templates=mobile"]http://m.independent...emplates=mobile[/url]
[/quote]

Too right! :D

I hate being complimented and just switch off, nod and smile.

I've been gigging for well over 35 years now and am well past the need for affirmation.

A recent one did make me laugh though:

I was depping for a rock band and, at the end of the gig, I overheard a conversation between the singer and a friend of mine.

Singer: "He has got to be the best rock bassist I've ever heard"
Friend: "He's not a rock bassist."
Singer: "What is he then?"
Friend: "He's a folk musician, I thought you knew?"
Singer: "He's a f*****g what?!?"
Friend: "He plays in folk bands"
Singer: "You are f*****g kidding me!?!"

I wandered off at that point and never heard the outcome of that conversation, but I joined the band as their permanant bassist a few months later and have been with them for about 2 years now.

I have to say though, bassists watching me is enormously funny.
They seem to fall into two distinct camps:

1) Enthusiastic and wanting to know exactly what I'm using to 'get that sound'
(I just twiddle the knobs till it sounds right, don't faff about with pedals and concentrate on playing and not falling off the edge of the stage.)

2) Stand there glaring.

I've gigged for 40 years with very few direct compliments but last week I did a couple of songs at my very first jam night. Afterwards another musician shook my hand and said "That was good. You play like Carol Kay from the Beach Boys. Very melodic"
Worth waiting 40 years for but it won't go to my head.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1467311166' post='3082778']
I'm a bass player in a bar band and play at that level. I have some nights where I feel like I should be playing at the national headliner level and some nights where I think I should pack it up.

Blue
[/quote]

This sums up my career!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1467464489' post='3083869']
...you are a tamarillo and I claim the entire internet.
[/quote]

I thought it was a habanero... but I bow to your superior gardening knowledge. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467466276' post='3083890']
I thought it was a habanero... but I bow to your superior gardening knowledge. :D
[/quote]

They look similar - taste rather different, though!

I got told by the cutest girl in the room that I sounded "£&@king awesome" (precision plus zoom set to ampeg) luckily partner and children weren't there to hear

That audience don't get to hear much bass...

Edited by Geek99

I started playing about nine years ago at the age of 55, so my way of thinking is that I can't be all that, and feel like I am the least talented one in the band, but having said that, in that time, I have played with five different drummers who were all very good, and one in particular was from a jazz background and they have all said that I am a good solid bassist who they like playing with, I've also had a few very positive comments at gigs from people.

Obviously, its nice to be complimented, but in reality, I think that I am just a very basic player who can add the fills etc when necessary, have pretty good timing, and someone who learns the songs properly. :)