Why become a member? ×

Anyone gig with just a 1x12?

bassbiscuits

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464945545' post='3063939']
It all depends upon the context of a band. I'd quite happily do a coffee shop gig with a 1x12... You'd probably get away with it in quiet more acoustic focused bands... but you'd likely be wanting if you got much louder or larger venues.

Probably worth clarifying whether this 1x12 has got to provide for front of house too... or whether it is just monitoring... or whether it's working whilst being supported by a PA (and of course, what PA - as that will change depending upon venue)
[/quote]

This, too - my comments about the Bergs apply to [i]without[/i] PA support. With the PA, I'd still use two, just to get the monitoring nearer my ears (we don't use wedges).

The BB2 I used with and without - I played an RAF hangar with it and through a single-sub-two-tops PA, and had to repeatedly turn down.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464945020' post='3063934']
So you're too loud, then? :D ;)
[/quote]

Ha ha it depends who you ask! I don't often get asked to turn myself up, put it that way...

Nah i'm pretty sensible, but as I play most often with just one guitarist in a trio, the bass and drums in my band have to cover a lot of ground... I love fat low end and i don't think many single 1x12s in my price range would give me enough headroom and 'girth' (is that the same as 'heft?')

Edited by bassbiscuits

Yep, context is everything. It makes me wonder when I see posts saying they use a 112 with a "hard hitting" drummer! We obviously have a different experience of the term "hard hitting".

Unless I know the gig has neighbour problems I'll always turn up with 2 112's and before my current rig it was often 3 112 cabs.

IME the more 112's you use the better you sound.

I have got away with using all sorts of (often less than perfect) stuff at gigs where there's back line provided, and that's fine from time to time due to the convenience etc.

But that's different from actually going out of my way to buy any of that stuff.

My Schroeder sounds immense, and isn't much bigger/heavier than most 1x12s anyway, so i'll keep on using that i think.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1464947267' post='3063965']
Not any kind of dig at all, but this kinda illustrates the gulf in "the rules" we assume about the instrument we all enjoy, its amplification, and the applicability of our experience to anyone else's - I've tried to gig that exact setup in a 'loud rock band' (my quotes for me, obv), and it was fartily, hopelessly inadequate.

How any of us'd ever agree about anything more abstract, such as, erm, 'heft' is beyond me… :)

Horses, courses…I think the default answer to the question "Is it just me…?" should really be 'probably' :D
[/quote]

Wow, I'm amazed. I checked my amp settings from Wednesday's gig - bass & treble flat, slight boost to low mids, little more boost for high mids (carpeted room) both filters off completely and master volume more or less on half way.

I'm always next to one of our guitarists so I've got his Orange Terror & 1x12 to deal with all night and a drum monitor facing the pair of us.

I was easily loud enough to hear myself completely clearly and discovered that, although DI'd, there was virtually no bass in the FOH because it was chucking out enough volume into the room without additional support!

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1464805647' post='3062791']
I've tried a number of good 12's but in my loud rock band the only single 12 to keep up volume wise was a Barefaced Big Baby 2.
[/quote][quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1464815015' post='3062912']
Ive got a couple of Barefaced Big Baby 2's and frequently use just one in a loud rock covers band
[/quote]

The question really should be 'Anyone gig with just a 1X12 - and if so, what brand is it?'

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1464960622' post='3064182']
Is it now?! Off topic, but what are you using? I'm on an ol' fashioned 4x12 kick right now!
[/quote]

No one knows what brand cab it is. I joined my current band a few months ago and the previous bass player simply left this cab behind and said the band could have it.

There's nothing on it to identify the maker, not even on the jack plate. All I can say is that it's a fairly shallow box, it's sealed not ported, it has a small tweeter ( which is always on) and it's got some very crude looking metal mesh attempting to protect the drivers. It looks very unappealing but sounds very good...and you can really feel the sound waves on the back of your legs when you play through it.

Edited by Marvin

4 out of 5 gigs I play with a single 12" speaker. That's a EBS NeoLine 112 (300W, 12kgs) powered by a Markbass LMK. It is not the way to go for every genre, but after five years of gigging with this setup I'm still very pleased!

The only disadvantage of playing with a single 12"-er IMO is that it is very focused. You can quickly go 'out of the range' of your speaker when hopping around the stage. When there is still lots of space in the van, I take an extra 2x10", just for a nicer dispersion. Especially on larger outdoor gigs this is a welcome comfort.

Curious to hear what all the Barefaced rumble is about..! :rolleyes:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1464949675' post='3064006']
It's definitely possible, but I only gigged my Berg AE112 on it's own with an acoustic guitarist.

I've gigged one Super Compact several times, but that's not a very fair comparison.
[/quote]
I love Bergs and I either use an hd212 or an active ip/er 112 rig. How do you perceive the difference to Barefaced SC?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1464948455' post='3063984']
Yep, context is everything. It makes me wonder when I see posts saying they use a 112 with a "hard hitting" drummer! We obviously have a different experience of the term "hard hitting".

[/quote]

Yes, I see people try it but I wouldn't say they make it work. I'd agree that they might think they get away with it but I wouldn't call it a successul mix or good sound.
I guess you have to be there..

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1464974672' post='3064345']
Thanks! Sealed is a big part of the equation for me- they may not have been the most versatile, but all my favorite cabs have been that way.
[/quote]

I'm quite a fan of sealed cabs. I've played through a sealed 412 before and it sounded really good. I also had a small practice combo that was sealed, that sounded brilliant

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1464980194' post='3064436']
Yes, I see people try it but I wouldn't say they make it work. I'd agree that they might think they get away with it but I wouldn't call it a successul mix or good sound.
I guess you have to be there..
[/quote]

What a wonderfully sweeping statement!