Why become a member? ×

Rowdy crowds

BrunoBass

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1463589027' post='3052647']
Is it a private party or at a venue? Henley is very local to me indeed.
[/quote]

I don't know, it's at Jubilee Gardens on the 5th at 1.30 pm. It would be advertised locally if public I would imagine.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1463589027' post='3052647']
Is it a private party or at a venue? Henley is very local to me indeed.
[/quote]
[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1463589446' post='3052654']
Rowdy rowing?! :D Although, it's the posh do's that can get a bit out of hand- all that Champers and Charles...
[/quote]

Er, Chaps, Henley In Arden is in Warwickshire. Not Oxfordshire. They may row there, rowdily or not, but not on the Thames, where Henley Regatta takes place. There is a river, The Alne, but whether you can row on it I don't know.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463562251' post='3052263']
Can be great fun and really boosts the atmos. Take an expendable bass. You get a great feedback loop going too. It does help if you have a good frontman who can demolish any drunken heckling as soon as it starts, though... 'Dad, I told you not to bother me at work'... 'Jeremy, it's over - can't you understand that?'... 'Where's your girlfriend? Outside grazing, I presume?'... 'Ah, I remember my first beer'... And so on. :)
[/quote]
Ha those are brilliant!

Yep I think it's going to be a lot of fun, some great responses here - thank you all.

As I said, we are pub and bar gig veterans but our audiences tend to be 30s and upwards and fairly well behaved. Jagerbomb fuelled 19 year olds will be uncharted territory!

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1463593867' post='3052713']
Yep I think it's going to be a lot of fun, some great responses here - thank you all.

As I said, we are pub and bar gig veterans but our audiences tend to be 30s and upwards and fairly well behaved. Jagerbomb fuelled 19 year olds will be uncharted territory!
[/quote]

Hah! ours are usually jagerbomb fuelled 30 and 40 year olds.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1463590147' post='3052660']
Er, Chaps, Henley In Arden is in Warwickshire. Not Oxfordshire. They may row there, rowdily or not, but not on the Thames, where Henley Regatta takes place. There is a river, The Alne, but whether you can row on it I don't know.
[/quote]

The current mrs discreet can row anywhere.

Edited by discreet

Hi energy gig, fantastic. Keep it loud, lively, dont stop for more than uttering the song name.

Long time since ive done a gig in a bouncing sweat pit, just enjoy it , it will be a blast.

Heres a clip of an old b52's gig..... 5:30 in i would kill to be in that band , totally epic vibe.

http://youtu.be/DnU3WoQZHJE

Edited by Wonky2

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1463594936' post='3052724']...
Heres a clip of an old b52's gig...
[/quote]

Worth noting that the toms (and very likely the snare, too...) have been damped down with tea towels or the like over the batter heads. Maybe a tip for those that find their drums too loud..? ;)

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1463561745' post='3052258']
Morning all, perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences of playing in rowdy venues? We've been booked to play in a bar a friend of mine recently opened. A couple of us went down to to recce it out on Saturday night and what we found was a tiny sweatbox, totally rammed, with a minute playing area on eye level with the crowd who were young and rowdy (in a non-threatening, happy way) and very much up for it. Usually we play pubs (often on eye level to the crowd) but it's usually an older, more sedate crowd. To tell you the truth, I can't wait. It reminded me of the punk gigs I attended in my youth, eyeball to eyeball with the crowd, full on adrenalin. Fingers crossed this gig won't be violent or edgy like the old days, but I'm expecting a bit of a rollercoaster of a show. I think it'll be amazing, despite the slight feeling of trepidation. Bring it on!
[/quote]

It would be a no from me.

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1463594936' post='3052724']
Hi energy gig, fantastic. Keep it loud, lively, dont stop for more than uttering the song name.

Long time since ive done a gig in a bouncing sweat pit, just enjoy it , it will be a blast.

Heres a clip of an old b52's gig..... 5:30 in i would kill to be in that band , totally epic vibe.

http://youtu.be/DnU3WoQZHJE
[/quote]

That is ace.

I always use a foam pop screen on my mike when we play places like this, after receiving the aforementioned mike in the teeth when pissed-up dancers collided with my mike stand. We've had some riotous nights, especially at one of our regular haunts. It's a sea port, and on one occasion there was a destroyer parked in the river! First set was all the matelots, then at ten they all went back to the ship and it was the officers turn-they were worse!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1463589446' post='3052654']
As for the standard tiny, heaving pub, that is where live music really 'lives'. There is an element of risk, so as guys have been saying, keep gear to a minimum and keep it as out of the way as possible. If the mood is good, then get stuck in and enjoy the vibe! Don't take it personally when drunkards tumble into you, and don't expect them to take it personally when you nudge them back towards their mates- it's all part of the crackling vibe of a real gig! Usually any real trouble makers will be ejected by crowd osmosis- the one or two guys causing trouble are usually as much disliked by the rest of the room as they are by the band. You [i]may[/i] have to repair a jack socket or two, and you might have to wipe some booze off your bass, but chances are you'll do it with a smile on your face. Enjoy!
[/quote]

smile on the face?
It sounds like one variation of my idea of Hell... :ph34r:

The aforementioned gig is this Saturday (after the football) and we are all pumped for it. Bizarrely, the venue has booked a solo acoustic Singer-Songwriter as our opener. I'm not sure if this is naivety or sadism...

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1463590147' post='3052660']
[/quote]

Well yes, that's the one, we had a lovely sunny Sunday afternoon at Henley in Arden in the Jubilee gardens at the back of the Guildhall, a beautiful setting. Folks were well behaved and children were free to run around. Dogs were kept on leashes with no fights breaking out. The band enjoyed free drinks and food from any of the many stalls at the fayre. People's feet were set tapping to 'Moondance' and 'Sunny Afternoon', and were heard humming along and tapping fingers on tables to 'The Lady is a Tramp' and 'Guantanamera'.

We played 3 1/2 hr sets - bass and drums, rythmn guitar, keyboard, sax, 2 trumpets and a young lady on clarinet and vocals. We were invited back next year.

Edited by grandad

Rowdy bars are good but just try to minimise trip hazards. The only violent incident I ever had was a guy who tripped over my effects board and decided I had to pay. Came back up swinging. Luckily (!) our insane drummer was over the front of his kit and knocked him out before I had time to thin about it.

I miss the good old days :D

Edited by thepurpleblob

Can't beat a good rowdy gig, last week on Swindon was our latest, had to stop playing while the police carried an unconscious punter from the stage! I'll have to venture to the north of the county again and check out Banbury.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1465642857' post='3069856']
Can't beat a good rowdy gig, last week on Swindon was our latest, had to stop playing while the police carried an unconscious punter from the stage! I'll have to venture to the north of the county again and check out Banbury.
[/quote]

You'd be very welcome. For a small town we have an excellent live scene.

Fleabag of this parish was playing here with his band Chunk last night (I think).