Why become a member? ×

The Stone Roses - new single

Marvin

I think it's terrible personally, bordering on self parody. I would consider myself a fan - their debut album is a favourite of mine, and Mani has always been an influence on my bass playing. This song unfortunately is poor I think, with the most inane lyrics I've heard in a long time. I can't even say I'm disappointed, my expectations were low anyway. Oh well...

Difficult to bring something back that had relevance such a long time ago. When was their time? 88? or 89? That's forever ago, everything has changed so much since then. There's almost nothing they could have done that wouldn't have got ripped to shreds.

Their choices were:
1. make a catchy tune that sounds like them and fun at gigs (that's what this is)
2. make a pastiche tune with the funky drummer break and get accused of rehashing everything
2. make a 'serious' tune and get accused of being pretentious and preachy
3. make some bloated dad rock like U2 and get ripped apart by everyone for being old
4. make something completely new, and get accused of not being as good as the old stuff.

Difficult to do a comeback, I don't know why bands bother, it's kind of like a mid life crisis.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1463212219' post='3049507']
Difficult to bring something back that had relevance such a long time ago. When was their time? 88? or 89? That's forever ago, everything has changed so much since then. There's almost nothing they could have done that wouldn't have got ripped to shreds.

Their choices were:
1. make a catchy tune that sounds like them and fun at gigs (that's what this is)
2. make a pastiche tune with the funky drummer break and get accused of rehashing everything
2. make a 'serious' tune and get accused of being pretentious and preachy
3. make some bloated dad rock like U2 and get ripped apart by everyone for being old
4. make something completely new, and get accused of not being as good as the old stuff.

Difficult to do a comeback, I don't know why bands bother, it's kind of like a mid life crisis.
[/quote]I agree with most this, but they bother because they're better together than apart, and more popular, most of us like to relive our youth and at least they've tried to bring some new stuff out rather than doing endless greatest hits tours

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1463214601' post='3049530']
I remember when The Beatles brought out that Free As A Bird, 20 odd years after they split
Expectations were high, but it was not well recieved. <_<
[/quote]I didn't like free as a bird either, much to slow and ploddy, quite liked the follow up though 'real love' they should have released that first IMO

Personally I think it's good (could have been a lot worse) I think they just sound like they are enjoying playing together again.
Browns solo stuff had plenty of deep and meaningful content so this doesn't need to be that! Mani is on form and his playing with the roses and primal scream has always had a certain something and he is at his best locked in with Reni! I look forward to seeing them in June and hope the album builds from this.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1463212219' post='3049507']

Difficult to do a comeback, I don't know why bands bother
[/quote]

££££££££££££

On the one hand you can't blame them, but it's disappointing that they always said they'd never do it, and that bands reforming for money was vulgar. Although I can understand how having a fat cheque waved under your nose might modify your opinion.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1463215756' post='3049542']
Mani is on form and his playing with the roses and primal scream has always had a certain something and he is at his best locked in with Reni!
[/quote]

Agree - Mani and Reni are a formidable rhythm section.

https://youtu.be/hqjp-UJ68TU

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1463214517' post='3049528']
I agree with most this, but they bother because they're better together than apart, and more popular, most of us like to relive our youth and at least they've tried to bring some new stuff out rather than doing endless greatest hits tours
[/quote]

True, i don't think it's that bad a tune all in all to be honest, it's more that the expectations are just too high for a band who made such a giant impact the first time round. Everything is going to seem contrived in comparison.
I personally would have quite liked a funky drummer rehash though.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1463217249' post='3049573']

True, i don't think it's that bad a tune all in all to be honest, it's more that the expectations are just too high for a band who made such a giant impact the first time round. Everything is going to seem contrived in comparison.
I personally would have quite liked a funky drummer rehash though.
[/quote]
They will always be measured against their Silvertone debut album - Second Coming was slated at the time, again being measured against the debut album.

I've a soft spot for them - and to my ears there are worse things out there - but this does have shades of an England football song about it..

Off to listen to Fools Gold..

Purely in terms of musicianship I thought 2nd Coming was their best album, I reckon Mani & John Squire listened to a lot of Led Zep before recording that one.

The first album is an absolute classic though, I'd never heard anything like it. Waterfall is still one of my all time favourite tunes.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1463219876' post='3049620']
The guitar riff sounds like a blatant lift from this

[url="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gD4PJW4R1ec"]https://m.youtube.co...h?v=gD4PJW4R1ec[/url]
[/quote]
Yep, Squid Lord. And only the boring bit!

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1463214601' post='3049530']
I remember when The Beatles brought out that Free As A Bird, 20 odd years after they split
Expectations were high, but it was not well recieved. <_<
[/quote]

Probably because it was the right decision not to release it at the time.

Most bands have loads of songs that don't quite cut it and so, quite rightly, don't release them. If they become hugely popular the demand for new songs remains even after they split up, so record companies trawl their archives and end up releasing new but ever poorer songs, which the fans lap up because . . . . well, because they're fans.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1463234857' post='3049806']
Probably because it was the right decision not to release it at the time.

Most bands have loads of songs that don't quite cut it and so, quite rightly, don't release them. If they become hugely popular the demand for new songs remains even after they split up, so record companies trawl their archives and end up releasing new but ever poorer songs, which the fans lap up because . . . . well, because they're fans.
[/quote]slightly different, it was a new song in as far as they took a Lennon tape (made after the Beatles split) and the other 3 Beatles added their bits too it, so not an old recording

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463224187' post='3049685']
It's not terrible by any means. I wouldn't buy it, but I've heard an awful lot worse.
[/quote]

+1. I didn't like the SR at the time, but have come to appreciate them over the years, bit like Duran Duran.....

I can see it going down a storm at gigs though.