Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass Pick-guard - White or Black?

Kex

Have an American Precision Bass in black (rosewood neck) at the moment it has the original white pick-guard fitted, have never been sure about it and am thinking of changing it for a black three ply one. I know Fender did / does that Roger Waters Mexican made version, though that also got black hardware and a maple neck but i have no intention in changing anything else, in fact pretty sure RW's bass was not totally black !

Any thought welcome

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1462297619' post='3041919']
Also the nice Sterling SUB Ray I got recently. :)
[/quote]

Played one a bit like that in PMT Cardiff last Saturday, actually went to try a Rickenbacker as amazingly I had never played one. Actually disliked it (the Ric that was) ned was just weird and it all felt a bit cheap (which it was far from), so bloke handed me the Musicman, identical looking to yours. Was really impressed, I would go as far as to say it played as well as my Alembic and tonal range was amazing. On the down side pretty sure the pickguard wont fit a Precision :-)

Edited by Kex

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1462294280' post='3041872']
[url="https://flic.kr/p/FBFMGn"][/url]

For me it has to be black. Here's my latest one, it started life with a white guard but to me, looks so much better now.
[/quote]
I need one like that, it'll match my Jazz bass!

[attachment=218508:20160331_172906_resized.jpg

Edited by FinnDave

Black on Black looks great. I might be a little bias though :)

[URL=http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/MrBen_101/media/stuff/jag-blackonblack_zpsgiiyufrn.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m564/MrBen_101/stuff/jag-blackonblack_zpsgiiyufrn.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Kex' timestamp='1462377581' post='3042541']
Have to admit I do like the simplicity of black on black, and can see it works well with rosewood now
[/quote]

Yeah - I think my Jag looks great black on black with the white layer in the pickguard. Though I think it would look even better if it had a black headstock!

I must say, I prefer black definitely if with maple board, but still nice with rosewood.
Tort looks superb on black too, esp with rosewood board

So black or tort, but definitely not white

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1462396539' post='3042796']
Imo white is only an acceptable pickguard cover if the bass is all white , white pickguards on black basses just remind me of cheap starter basses
[/quote]

Entirely agree. My US Precision had a white scratchplate, I wouldn't take it home until the shop had put a black one on for me.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1462299552' post='3041949']
With a maple neck, black/black.
With rosewood, black/tort.
[/quote]

This. I always think black/black with rosewood can look a nit drab. That said, I have no issue with white/black with rosewood, particularly if the covers are still on.