Why become a member? ×

Why I Play With A Pick

blue

I think it's a bit more percussive with a pick, and I find timing a bit tighter. But, I have no tip to my right index finger, and poor coordination with the other fingers, so I find I'm unable to do a waling style with my right hand. That said, because I don't have that tip, holding a pick is a little uncomfortable, so generally I alternate between pick and fingers as the song dictates, ie faster riffs need the pick. In any even I would rather play finger style as I love the feel of it, and it feels like proper playing.

I always play with my fingers rather than a pick/plectrum. I can play with both but generally never bother using a plectrum unless I feel the song requires it (ie my fingers can't play fast semi quaver patterns consistently for 4 minutes etc). Some of my favourite bassists are pick players though and I have never had a 'real bassists don't use picks' viewpoint.

I actually got into playing bass because of pick players like Rob Wright of Nomeansno. I really wanted to use a pick for a long time, but I really hate the sound and feel of a pick scratching against the strings when it's not hitting them at the perfect angle, it's like nails on a chalkboard, I can't stand it. Just couldn't get into it. So I learnt fingerstyle instead and eventually got into different music along the way. But i wish I could play with one, I'm always a bit jealous of pick players with good technique.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1462406500' post='3042855']
I actually got into playing bass because of pick players like Rob Wright of Nomeansno. I really wanted to use a pick for a long time, but I really hate the sound and feel of a pick scratching against the strings when it's not hitting them at the perfect angle, it's like nails on a chalkboard, I can't stand it. Just couldn't get into it. So I learnt fingerstyle instead and eventually got into different music along the way. But i wish I could play with one, I'm always a bit jealous of pick players with good technique.
[/quote]
There's Dunlop SpeedPicks that have a twist at the tip to help strike the string at a better angle.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1462406676' post='3042856']
There's Dunlop SpeedPicks that have a twist at the tip to help strike the string at a better angle.
[/quote]

Back in the day some bass picks had a twist in the TAIL to help you hang onto the damn thing.

This is the pick I used in 1980-81. Seriously. I found it in a box of stuff a while ago. It's like a skateboard deck.

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/transalp1998/media/bbJJ_zpsatimqm34.jpg.html"][/url]

I'm fingers mostly all the time now but I still love picks for some things... trying to get that that Carol Kaye/Beach Boys vibe, or the sound on Ennio Morricone's Italian pop songs, or the Serge Gainsbourg Histoire de Melody Nelson bass sound. For me that's a kind of lost pinnacle of bass playing, that hip, commercial, jazz-informed, almost orchestral late '60s approach. So cool...

Edited by KK Jale

I've always been more of a natural finger style player, having learned that way. However, I've always used a pick for songs that just don't sound or feel right with fingers for some reason... The ones that spring to mind would be, say, Matty Groves, Going Underground, a few worship songs but they were few and far between.

However, since going over to flats at the start of this year I'm increasingly liking the way a pick sounds with them since you lose a lot of the noisy, splangy sound from the pick scraping over the windings. Started to throw it in on a few different songs, including slow ones which (finger cramp excepted) I would never have considered using it on before... Just for the particular tonal variation.

Have played with fingers since starting but have recently been using a pick on some songs for the covers band - will help me tonight as have a gig and having dislocated my middle finger playing football on Monday, it's a bit sore for the faster stuff, so will defo pick these instead

I prefer playing with fingers as that's what I'm used to but my band mates prefer I play with a pick due to the attack and the fact it cuts through the wall of guitar fuzz the lead guitarist creates.

I don't mind playing witha pick - and I agree with the guitarist to certain degree about cutting through - but he could easily turn the f**k down instead ☺

[QUOTE]PaulWarning said:

I once read somewhere that some pro bass players play with fingers in the studio but a pick live, don't know whether it's true but it kinda makes sense[/QUOTE]
Think it's the other way round - pick for recording ? Definition, tonal range - can't manipulate what isn't there and all that.....

LD

Personal to the individual i guess, but i never liked that attack that pick players speak of. Most pick tracks seem to sound like mild versions of Jean Jackets Brunel of the Stranglers, a tone i really hate, despite whether he's a good bassist or not.

YMMV of course :)