Why become a member? ×

Your reasons for quitting bands

interpol52

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462710616' post='3045044']
Go easy, though, folks, these are my pals, although I've not seen 'em for several decades, now. We're dealing with archaeology, here. My favourite style, for instance, is Norse; just wait until it comes back into fashion. I'll be right up there at the pinnacle of 'in-ness'..! :P
[/quote]

The colour version doesn't disappoint! In truth, I wouldn't mind a pair of those as stagewear myself, though the matching full-band set is very much an idea of its time!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1462712895' post='3045069']...the matching full-band set is very much an idea of its time!
[/quote]

Matching..? We were all trying to be different, and express our originality, back then..! :lol:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462710616' post='3045044']
It didn't seem strange at the time ...

(... and still doesn't..! :lol: )

Go easy, though, folks, these are my pals, although I've not seen 'em for several decades, now. We're dealing with archaeology, here. My favourite style, for instance, is Norse; just wait until it comes back into fashion. I'll be right up there at the pinnacle of 'in-ness'..! :P[/quote]

The bloke on the far left looks like that chap from Focus with the high squeaky voice. :P

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1462715554' post='3045098']
The bloke on the far left looks like that chap from Focus with the high squeaky voice. :P
[/quote]

[i]Everyone[/i], back then, looked like that chap from Focus with the high squeaky voice..! :P

... and here they are, folks; a trip down Memory Lane, for some...

http://youtu.be/g4ouPGGLI6Q

Quit a covers band because I wanted to have time to focus on originals, and there was drama during the three month notice period I gave so I told them I was quitting with immediate effect.

Quit another band because they gave me a load of grief for joining a rival band. I wanted to leave anyway because one member was a real... member! And I didn't want it to tarnish my reputation.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1462736547' post='3045364']
I've only quit one band... others have died a death or never got off the ground.
I got out!
[/quote]

I would have been out way before that. I had it a bit in the last band. I am now 50, which means I don't need drama. i did all the drama in my 20s / 30s, and really can't be arsed with it now. I certainly don't expect it from anyone over 20, and if I see it I will be running a mile

I want to play stuff, not be a therapist.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1462742222' post='3045436']
I hear you. I worried then that I would seem way too aloof if I didn't get involved slightly, but looking back it was amazing how far and how quickly I was dragged down the rabbit-hole with that guy and that band. I certain level of 'we will be the next Kasabian' is a good ethos, I suppose, if it keeps you woodshedding. I can only assume that 1% of these delusional musicians actually end up in massive, famous bands! The idea that you act and dress for the job you want, not the job you have, and all that...
[/quote]

Yes, 1% of those people form a hugely successful band that runs for a few years, makes no money but becomes hugely popular a few decades after the main guy kills themselves, when the other members have made some sort of stable group.

They can be safe in the knowledge the the hipsters of 20-30 years later will be wearing their tshirts!

It has played out many times in history. However, it is just 1%, the other 99% will just plague you for ever and stop you doing anything constructive.

Finding the balance within a band, of where each member wants to end up, seems to be a recurring theme in this thread. I suppose my story is notable only in the level of delusion on the part of another band member and the minor degree of dishonesty they used to get me in the door in the first place.[/quote]

It is a recurring thread here, but these are people who have left a group because of it and found better groups.

Whilst I don't want to be a therapist, I do feel like I unwittingly inherit a degree of responsibility for the mental welfare of a bandmate if I am playing with some guy who seems to be gambling the farm on their music, and music alone? In both bands I mentioned above the music was a massive crutch, and massive release, for the problematic guys involved.
[/quote]

Thats the thing, you don't have to be responsible (though it feels like it at the time), and you don't have to wait until you are older to find people who want to play for the joy of playing, they are out there. I guess if age gives you anything (apart from bad knees and backs), it gives you the ability to spot problem people better, realise it isn't your job to fix them, and say no!

Left my last band four years ago - simply too much marijuana in the band. I've nothing against people having a toke, but when I'm lugging my gear over there (on the bus, no less) I expect far more than to play two or three songs before the others skin up and proceed to discuss government conspiracies for the next three hours. When they cancelled a gig because they couldn't be arsed, that was the end of my tolerance - I'll not work with anyone who doesn't put the effort in again. Leave your vices for your own time.

I was playing in a three piece, great guitarist, great drummer. I lived about 30 miles from the guitarist and 45 miles from the drummer.
I was getting gigs near me based on my previous form in another band. The drummer was getting gigs near him based on his previous form and many contacts.
We never failed to get rebooked but sometimes the guitarist would knock the booking back because he didn't like the place for some reason.
He never seemed to come up with any bookings in his area apart from one charity do.
He had contacts coming out of his ears and was mates with managers and or owners of all his local music venues but nothing was forth coming.
When I asked him at the end of a rehearsal as to why he couldn't get us into any of these places, he said that he could easily but he didn't think we were good enough not to show him up in front of a crowd of people that he knew.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1462746432' post='3045459']
Left my last band four years ago - simply too much marijuana in the band. I've nothing against people having a toke, but when I'm lugging my gear over there (on the bus, no less) I expect far more than to play two or three songs before the others skin up and proceed to discuss government conspiracies for the next three hours. When they cancelled a gig because they couldn't be arsed, that was the end of my tolerance - I'll not work with anyone who doesn't put the effort in again. Leave your vices for your own time.
[/quote]

Again, you guys have to research these bands more before you join as well as define what your looking for.

I think anyone who just wants to be in a band and joins without research or much thought is asking to be disappointed.

You guys won't like this but I stand by it. Generally speaking, because there will always be exceptions. Joining a start up band when you have defined that you want to gig, more than likely will be a waste of time.

Once I saw weed use, I would have been gone. I'm not 16 and it's not 1969.

A little harsh, but I have pretty strict ideology when it comes to bands.

Show me the guy that says " I dont like being in bands" and I'll show you either a guy that doesn't like working with or being around other people, does not like performing in front of a crowd or a guy that's only had bad experiences in bands. And it's usually because he didn't think things out. I know, I've been there.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='NickRiffed' timestamp='1462748396' post='3045469']
I was playing in a three piece, great guitarist, great drummer. I lived about 30 miles from the guitarist and 45 miles from the drummer.
I was getting gigs near me based on my previous form in another band. The drummer was getting gigs near him based on his previous form and many contacts.
We never failed to get rebooked but sometimes the guitarist would knock the booking back because he didn't like the place for some reason.
He never seemed to come up with any bookings in his area apart from one charity do.
He had contacts coming out of his ears and was mates with managers and or owners of all his local music venues but nothing was forth coming.
When I asked him at the end of a rehearsal as to why he couldn't get us into any of these places, he said that he could easily but he didn't think we were good enough not to show him up in front of a crowd of people that he knew.
[/quote]

I would never play with a guy that had that type of poor attitude. Good thing you asked.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462753439' post='3045477']
Again, you guys have to research these bands more before you join as well as define what your looking for.

I think anyone who just wants to be in a band and joins without research or much thought is asking to be disappointed.

You guys won't like this but I stand by it. Generally speaking, because there will always be exceptions. Joining a start up band when you have defined that you want to gig, more than likely will be a waste of time.

[/quote]

point 1 - i don't know what it is like state side, but bands don't produce literature or a manual on how they operate in the uk. often you can't find all the information out, you can ask questions of course, but no band is going to tell you if their drummer is (in your opinion) a bell end. you can't tell how a group of 4 or 5 people will gel until you spend time together regularly. I have joined bands who have gigs lined up, sh*t hot musicians who are all nice guys but left because it just doesn't click. some times you just have to take a shot and sometimes it doesn't work out.

point 2 - the beatles were a start up band, as where the rolling stones, the who, U2....bands have to start up, regardless of whether they are original or covers. you don't join start up bands, that's your choice, but don't go on about it as if people who join start up bands are by some how wasting their time and won't go anywhere. we all know the implications of starting a project and some times the rewards outweigh the sh*t.

if we were to focus on every little thing in a band, or refuse to join start ups we wouldn't join bands. you have to take a chance when it comes to playing music, a band may fizzle out, but you might find lightning in a bottle. i'd much rather take a chance and spend a couple of months finding out a band isn't right, than spend a couple of months analysing their facebook, emails and adverts to see if they are 100% perfect.

you are lucky enough that you have joined a band with good musicians that works for you, and kudos for that, but they had to start at one point, and they no doubt had people come and go before you for various reasons and you know what, that's how music works.

An analogy... It's a bit like those who wouldn't buy a new car, as they'd take an important financial loss as soon as it leaves the forecourt. However, to have a second-hand car market, [i]someone [/i]has had to buy new..! Different folks have differing visions of what's important to them, that's all. Nothing wrong with start-up groups, nor well-established groups. I understand less this constant harping on, though. It must be something in the water... :rolleyes:

Lots of bands lots of reasons, but usually this one:

Moany moany tossers, 'this gig is too small, this gig is too big, this gig is too near, this gig is too far, your amp is too loud, I can't hear you, I'm not important enough, I am too important...'

and that was just one drummer.
:)
We were not making enough money for me to put up with that sh*t. Which always makes me wonder why on earth these moany bastards go out and play in bands? Is it because I did something bad once?

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1462786082' post='3045584']

point 1 - i don't know what it is like state side, but bands don't produce literature or a manual on how they operate in the uk. often you can't find all the information out, you can ask questions of course, but no band is going to tell you if their drummer is (in your opinion) a bell end. you can't tell how a group of 4 or 5 people will gel until you spend time together regularly. I have joined bands who have gigs lined up, sh*t hot musicians who are all nice guys but left because it just doesn't click. some times you just have to take a shot and sometimes it doesn't work out.

point 2 - the beatles were a start up band, as where the rolling stones, the who, U2....bands have to start up, regardless of whether they are original or covers. you don't join start up bands, that's your choice, but don't go on about it as if people who join start up bands are by some how wasting their time and won't go anywhere. we all know the implications of starting a project and some times the rewards outweigh the sh*t.

if we were to focus on every little thing in a band, or refuse to join start ups we wouldn't join bands. you have to take a chance when it comes to playing music, a band may fizzle out, but you might find lightning in a bottle. i'd much rather take a chance and spend a couple of months finding out a band isn't right, than spend a couple of months analysing their facebook, emails and adverts to see if they are 100% perfect.

you are lucky enough that you have joined a band with good musicians that works for you, and kudos for that, but they had to start at one point, and they no doubt had people come and go before you for various reasons and you know what, that's how music works.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm very lucky and if my band folded, I'd be screwed. Finding another local established working band would be impossible.And it's not that there are not opportunities, but the real good jobs are not advertised or open to the public. Only to those in the bands inner circle.

I get where your coming from, but I still maintain that generally speaking, if your looking for paying gigs joining any kind of start up is usually a waste of time.

Here's an an example, because they're both local to me. If Greg Koch or Daryl from Phil Collins were looking for a bass player, I'd never hear about it.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1462806336' post='3045781']
Lots of bands lots of reasons, but usually this one:

Moany moany tossers, 'this gig is too small, this gig is too big, this gig is too near, this gig is too far, your amp is too loud, I can't hear you, I'm not important enough, I am too important...'

and that was just one drummer.
We were not making enough money for me to put up with that sh*t. Which always makes me wonder why on earth these moany bastards go out and play in bands? Is it because I did something bad once?
[/quote]

A paying gig is a paying gig. If a local bar/pub band is turning down gigs for any reason other than your already booked is questionable.

I play big gigs,small gigs, gigs in cool places and gigs in not so cool places. I can't afford to be picky.

Blue

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1462786082' post='3045584']

point 1 - i don't know what it is like state side, but bands don't produce literature or a manual on how they operate in the uk. often you can't find all the information out, you can ask questions of course, but no band is going to tell you if their drummer is (in your opinion) a bell end. you can't tell how a group of 4 or 5 people will gel until you spend time together regularly.[/quote]

After you've been around a while it becomes easy to spot "holes".

And it's easy enough to check a band booking history and what they have booked.

Easy enough to ask about how many personnel changes there has been in the last 12 months.All can be helpful in making a decision on whether a band is a match for you.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462817867' post='3045988']
A paying gig is a paying gig. If a local bar/pub band is turning down gigs for any reason other than your already booked is questionable.

I play big gigs,small gigs, gigs in cool places and gigs in not so cool places. I can't afford to be picky.

Blue
[/quote]

He wasn't turning the gigs down, just moaning about them the whole way through, really put a downer on it, so I joined one of the other constant stream of bands asking me to play instead, job done. Except there's always another moany bastard in every band.

In no particular order....

1. Band leader/rhythm guitarist had a nice array of vintage strats/Les Pauls/Martins/SERIOUS vintage amps/huge PA system and boutique pedals (he was loaded) - but couldn't play for toffee or use his equipment.
2. Best drummer and nicest bloke I knew. Unless he was drunk. Which was 99% of the time. Crying shame.
3. Drummer and guitarist were raving BNP/Britain First/NF supporters (Drummer was obsessed with Hitler). Found this out in the third rehearsal. Made all the more weird by the fact the other guitarist was half Indian.
4. The drummer was mates with the previous bass player (who wasn't very good) and made it clear every five minutes he wanted the original bass player back.
5. Ego-maniacal arrogant lead guitarist and singer who pocketed the large fee we got for playing Stratford Civic Hall, and didn't think I should have any input on songwriting as I was "only the bass player" (wont mention the fact I've recently had a couple of songs put on the books of a publishing company - what do I know about songwriting?!)
6. Guitarist/Band leader insisted on taking us all and our gear to venue in his van - then disappeared off in said van with his girlfriend leaving myself and the drummer trying to load gear into taxi's.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1462872555' post='3046394']

He wasn't turning the gigs down, just moaning about them the whole way through, really put a downer on it, so I joined one of the other constant stream of bands asking me to play instead, job done. Except there's always another moany bastard in every band.
[/quote]

My lot take it in turns.

It adds to the excitement, you never know who will be doing the moaning. I hate predictability.

The guitarist having no idea that the volume knob on his amp could actually be turned anticlockwise.
Half-arsedness ("oh, that'll be ok, we can just busk it") which translates as "I can't be bothered to learn this song properly.
The guitarist's predilection for Bon Jovi.
Booking gigs without making sure everyone else is available for it.

Edited by Grassie