Why become a member? ×

Your reasons for quitting bands

interpol52

Always people. If I like all the people I'll always play with them. If one of them is difficult they become unbearable and I'm done.

Never been money, I'm happy to make no money, I have a job for money. Actually I wouldn't play with people I didn't like for money.

I do a lot of research before I join a band. My one and only requirement is they have to have an established book of business before I will invest my time and ability.

I think the only reason I would quit a band would be if the money dried up.

Blue

[quote name='Patster1969' timestamp='1462532640' post='3043801']
Previous band just could never get going. The drummer was actually a guitarist but wanted to drum. However, every rehearsal saw him playing guitar and trying to tell the guitarists how to play the song (he was a good guitarist but he said he didn't want to play it). The singer had too much going on and would never learn the song outside the rehearsal, so he would have to try and learn it then in rehearsal or we would suggest a song and the others would spend the week learning it, only for the drummer to say the day before rehearsal "don't think it will suit the singers voice" and the singer would say "you're probably right" without even trying it - very frustrating
[/quote]

This is unfortunate, but an example of why I never entertain "start ups".

Blue

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1462017060' post='3039621']
For me, it is always 'i don't like the music'. The reason I don't like the music may be different but the fundamental problem is always the same.
[/quote]

So you've joined bands and at some point they decided to change the type if music they we're playing when you joined?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1461958571' post='3039206']

My usual ones were:

- control-freakery, usually a singer

- unreliability: when members are supposed to show up but cancel for no apparent reason at the last minute and nobody is bothered much.

- and the biggest one: when people don't do their homework and we keep rehearsing the same old boring stuff, or jamming (fun but leading nowhere) instead of gigging
[/quote]

I hate to say this guys. Usually people will show up and work when money is already involved.

Blue

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1462613269' post='3044337']
Yeah, but we don't all play for the money.
[/quote]

Therein lies the problem.

Once you have gigs lined up, the band either steps up to the mark, or spectacularly crashes/implodes.

And while the amount of money shouldn't make any difference, people will always put in a lot more work and produce a polished performance for the higher paid gigs. The 'only a pub gig' vs 'someone's wedding' ethic will always be there.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1462029825' post='3039787']
Being band less for a while I found a pub rock covers band in the deepest darkest depths of the Forest of Dean. They were nice guys and played well but they hadn't completely decided on dropping their friend as a bassist, so he'd come to watch rehearsals whilst they told them that's how it should be done, which made me look a right pratt. And after a few rehearsals conversation was starting to dry up and there wasn't a lot of common ground, so in an effort to keep things moving I pointed to one the guitarists many amplifiers (they rehearsed in his basement) saying 'I used to have an HH amp a bit like that'. He said 'You'll never guess who that belonged to?' I really couldn't think of a band who did, so he told me. 'Fred West'

Did one gig with them.
[/quote]

Anyone I'd know ?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462617500' post='3044379']
Yeah, but we don't all play for the fun.
[/quote]

No, we play for a combination of reasons. I am sure that it is just a minority who play just for fun or just for money, and the majority that lie somewhere between the two.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462061087' post='3040050']
That's pretty much par for the course. Two or three of the bands I was in during the seventies and early 80s were off their heads most of the time, even the pro bands. What am I saying? [i]Especially [/i]the pro bands

But it was more or less expected of 'musicians' then.
[/quote]

Getting drunk before gig is one thing,getting drunk before rehearsals is another, but I shall never forget the moment of terror when I realised the guy whose turn it was to drive to the gig had got drunk before getting in the car.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1462619103' post='3044402']

Getting drunk before gig is one thing,getting drunk before rehearsals is another, but I shall never forget the moment of terror when I realised the guy whose turn it was to drive to the gig had got drunk before getting in the car.
[/quote]

I wouldn't forget it either. Or let him drive again, and I would make sure he made up for whoever did have to drive instead

1) Drummer was too loud and didn't back off even after repeat requests. The one time he played quiet, the band tightened up massively and it was wonderful. I got fed up with competing. I think Beedster was in the same band after me.
2) I moved out of London
3) No gigs, too many egoes.
4) Unreliable members

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1462619103' post='3044402']
[/quote]

Had this happen when an old band had a gig at a festival in West Sussex. Drove all the way there from Cardiff & took somebody with us who would drive us back after the gig so we could have a drink after we'd played. Our driver ended up so pissed he could barely stand. I refused to get in the van with the rest of the others & booked myself into a hotel. I still can't believe he drove back, or that the others were happy for him to do so. Left the band shortly afterwards.

Just for the anecdote...

I had recently joined the variety band (mid-'70s...); the 'tour bus' was an extended Peugeot J7 (not this one, but similar; this one was a sister act, 'The Shouters', very big 'back then'...)...

Lionel, the driver/road, also had the glorious task of pulling birds and getting in beer for the band, and hold down the console FOH. That week-end, we were a fair few hundred kilometres from base, all the gear was loaded after the show, as was Lionel. Well loaded. I had been on orange juice all evening, so got given the task of driving home, with the band sleeping in the bunks behind. Now, a J7 is a thirsty beast at the best of times, and was loaded to the hilt (Leslie cabs for instance, anyone..?). I took me a couple of hundred kilometres to discover, by accidental reflex, that this one had, in fact, four gears..! I'd thought it to be the more usual three-gear version. Goodness knows how much fuel I'd used..! :o
That same night, having lost my way, I had to reverse a bit to turn around. I never did get to explain to the [i]chef d'orchestre[/i] where that small (-ish...) dent in the back came from. :blush:
Happy daze.

Edited by Dad3353

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462617500' post='3044379']
Yeah, but we don't all play for the fun.

Blue
[/quote]

And both are fine, just don't mix the two attitudes in the same band. Many years ago I was in a soul band that started off as a fun band and gradually changed into a function band, I left at the point where the gig choice was being made purely on a financial basis. But they I was replaced by someone who wanted to be a function band so everyone was happy in the end.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1462633078' post='3044562']

And both are fine, just don't mix the two attitudes in the same band. Many years ago I was in a soul band that started off as a fun band and gradually changed into a function band, I left at the point where the gig choice was being made purely on a financial basis. But they I was replaced by someone who wanted to be a function band so everyone was happy in the end.
[/quote]

Agreed, the two don't mix well.

Blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462630853' post='3044538']
Just for the anecdote...

I had recently joined the variety band (mid-'70s...); the 'tour bus' was an extended Peugeot J7 (not this one, but similar; this one was a sister act, 'The Shouters', very big 'back then'...)...

Lionel, the driver/road, also had the glorious task of pulling birds and getting in beer for the band, and hold down the console FOH. That week-end, we were a fair few hundred kilometres from base, all the gear was loaded after the show, as was Lionel. Well loaded. I had been on orange juice all evening, so got given the task of driving home, with the band sleeping in the bunks behind. Now, a J7 is a thirsty beast at the best of times, and was loaded to the hilt (Leslie cabs for instance, anyone..?). I took me a couple of hundred kilometres to discover, by accidental reflex, that this one had, in fact, four gears..! I'd thought it to be the more usual three-gear version. Goodness knows how much fuel I'd used..! :o
That same night, having lost my way, I had to reverse a bit to turn around. I never did get to explain to the [i]chef d'orchestre[/i] where that small (-ish...) dent in the back came from. :blush:
Happy daze.
[/quote]Beards weren't optional then? :huh:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1462709576' post='3045031']
Never mind the beards, those are some spectacular trousers. Shame it's a black and white photo!
[/quote]

I can imagine Billy Smart waking up one morning and wondering why there was trouser shaped holes cut out of his big top :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1462709576' post='3045031']
Never mind the beards, those are some spectacular trousers. Shame it's a black and white photo!
[/quote]

It didn't seem strange at the time ...

(... and still doesn't..! :lol: )

Go easy, though, folks, these are my pals, although I've not seen 'em for several decades, now. We're dealing with archaeology, here. My favourite style, for instance, is Norse; just wait until it comes back into fashion. I'll be right up there at the pinnacle of 'in-ness'..! :P

Edited by Dad3353

There was a reunion gig a couple of years back (2013, if memory serves...). Here's a view of the early line-up (note the bas stack...) ...

... and here, on stage at Angers ...

Doesn't time fly by, though, eh..? It seems like only yesterday when we were young, carefree, full of 'get up and go'..! :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353