Why become a member? ×

Quit my band ,best decision I've made in years

kevvo66

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1460386927' post='3025235']
Well done that man. :i-m_so_happy:

I quit one of the 2 bands I was in, four weeks ago.
Two of the members have not even acknowledged it.
No announcement on Facebook page.
Important me, eh :lol:
[/quote]

One of our guitarists quit the band today. I have no intention of acknowledging it.
It will get a mention on the Facebook page when his name gets removed and that will be about it.

wow, lots of quitting going on! Ive been in the same gigging band for getting on 6 years now, and they were the first 2 blokes who answered my ad! I guess i got lucky although we have our differences now and again, but i have been pretty flexible when it comes to choosing songs, getting the round in, not mentioning the smelly trainers and general twatiness of the other 2...!

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1460393429' post='3025343']
One of our guitarists quit the band today. I have no intention of acknowledging it.
It will get a mention on the Facebook page when his name gets removed and that will be about it.
[/quote]

So, you wouldn't have the courtesy of acknowledging an email of resignation? Perhaps that may be indicative of one of the reasons the guitarist left.
Well, each to their own standards I guess.
I wish they would take my name off the Facebook page. And stop putting photos of me on it.
They were quick enough to cancel my admin duties on it.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1460399821' post='3025437']
So, you wouldn't have the courtesy of acknowledging an email of resignation? Perhaps that may be indicative of one of the reasons the guitarist left.
Well, each to their own standards I guess.
I wish they would take my name off the Facebook page. And stop putting photos of me on it.
They were quick enough to cancel my admin duties on it.
[/quote]

If it were under different circumstances yes. The guitarist has essentially (although quietly) thrown his toys out of the pram as things arent going exactly as he wants them to and with little regard to others in the band. He was also the reason our original singer left in january. Things will be better without him and we can get back to enjoying the band again and it being fun. Which is the whole point. It's his choice and I am not wasting time sending 'so sorry to hear you're leaving' messages!

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1460402066' post='3025468']
If it were under different circumstances yes. The guitarist has essentially (although quietly) thrown his toys out of the pram as things arent going exactly as he wants them to and with little regard to others in the band. He was also the reason our original singer left in january. Things will be better without him and we can get back to enjoying the band again and it being fun. Which is the whole point. It's his choice and I am not wasting time sending 'so sorry to hear you're leaving' messages!
[/quote]

We are going to have to agree to disagree.
Unless violence or illegality are involved, everybody deserves an acknowledgement of communications. To me it's only courtesy.

In my case it was because the other three booked 2 x 40 minute gigs in Europe (4 days away in total) without me agreeing to it. Final straw.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1460386927' post='3025235']
Well done that man. :i-m_so_happy:

I quit one of the 2 bands I was in, four weeks ago.
Two of the members have not even acknowledged it.
No announcement on Facebook page.
Important me, eh :lol:
[/quote]

Same happened to me when I quit a band a few years ago, most of the band sent a message but both guitarists didn`t acknowledge it at all. Poor show me-thought.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1460403193' post='3025476']
We are going to have to agree to disagree.
Unless violence or illegality are involved, everybody deserves an acknowledgement of communications. To me it's only courtesy.

In my case it was because the other three booked 2 x 40 minute gigs in Europe (4 days away in total) without me agreeing to it. Final straw.
[/quote]

I see what you are saying. It's not as if there wont be an acknowledgement from 'the band', there will be and our other guitarist (whom the aforementioned guitarist considered the band 'leader') will no doubt have done that. I just dont see the need for each individual band member to send a separate message.

All the most petty, childish behaviour I've encountered in my adult life has been while I've been in bands, which is yet another reason why I stopped gigging years ago & I'll never be in another band.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1460403896' post='3025483']
Same happened to me when I quit a band a few years ago, most of the band sent a message but both guitarists didn`t acknowledge it at all. Poor show me-thought.
[/quote]

I think a lot does depend on the circumstances behind the band member leaving. Either way, you guys have started to make me feel guilty now!! I will sleep on it!

Haha, unlucky Jack!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1460404838' post='3025493']
All the most petty, childish behaviour I've encountered in my adult life has been while I've been in bands, which is yet another reason why I stopped gigging years ago & I'll never be in another band.
[/quote]

Obviously I read a lot of this stuff on here, so I know it's true, but I've been in about 8 bands so far and only one had a fall out, and that was very civil. I'm currently in 4 bands and we all get on really well. The only childishness is some of the humour. Sorry you've been so unlucky!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1460404838' post='3025493']
[/quote]

Absolutely true, but lots of us still do it anyway!

But it's absolutely the case that sometimes just getting the hell out of there is the only thing to do. If it's a toxic situation and it isn't paying the rent then it's just not worth the hassle.

Edit: I was recently involved in a singer-sacking situation. No one dealt with it well, myself included!

Edited by hairychris