Why become a member? ×

Quit my band ,best decision I've made in years

kevvo66

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1460535790' post='3026482']
I'm very similar to yourself but I've not given up yet. I've found the reward when you find the right people more than worth the heartache of when you don't. The problem is it's a long and arduous project
[/quote]

I still don't know if I've "given up" as such, it's more like an indefinite sabbatical. I love fiddling about with basses & guitars still, and can see me buying a bass for tinkering or even investment (i.e. can sell it for more than it costs me) reasons again at some point.

One of the problems (for want of a better word) I've faced with bass playing over the years is that when I started, and for the first 15 years or so, I was into quite technically demanding music and so I always had lots of stuff to drive me onwards with my playing. As I got older my musical tastes began to change drastically, to the point where 90% of the music I listen to doesn't even have any bass on it, or if it does it's very basic stuff.
My taste in instruments also mirrored this direction, going from quite a few flashy, high end basses to ending up with only a secondhand CIJ Precision, which was a great bass but it just didn't excite me like my Zons did.

Seems like many have gone through a lot of bad band experiences.

What thought process or criteria do you use before you join a band. I've discussed this before.

A lot of guys don't like being in bands because initial bad band experiences .They don't think much beyond, "I want to play in band"

I think you have to define why you want to be in a band and maybe 2-3 deal breakers the band must have for you to consider them. Another thing is, if you don't you have any band experience being in a band can be challenging.

Be careful, don't join just any band, join the band that offers the key things your looking for. A band experience should be fun and not a drag.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1460400550' post='3025449']
All night long by Lionel Richie pushed me over the edge Lionel Richie for f***s sake , 😱
[/quote]
Tune. To be honest.
We used to do Hello, which went down a storm, and Dancing on the Ceiling, again, absolute party tune.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1460403193' post='3025476']
We are going to have to agree to disagree.
Unless violence or illegality are involved, everybody deserves an acknowledgement of communications. To me it's only courtesy.

In my case it was because the other three booked 2 x 40 minute gigs in Europe (4 days away in total) without me agreeing to it. Final straw.
[/quote]

I'm the same, maybe because i'm a software engineer, but every communication requires a confirmation of receipt....

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1460478820' post='3026081']
I could go on but its hurting my teeth now
[/quote]

I dont know that one....

To be honest, your setlist you posted sounds very good and likely to be a good 80's/90s party band type set list, with the exception of Dance the Night away, and Cliff I would say they would all go down very well in a party situation.

Party stuff it is ,but ive played with very good muscians who played original material so its not for me ,i agree with blue last thread I was sort of depping for them and ended up staying just for the money,which went against my whole upbringing on music I'd rather play for free than do it for money again its a artistic freedom thing

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1460621538' post='3027253']
Party stuff it is ,but ive played with very good muscians who played original material so its not for me ,i agree with blue last thread I was sort of depping for them and ended up staying just for the money,which went against my whole upbringing on music I'd rather play for free than do it for money again its a artistic freedom thing
[/quote]

Different strokes different folks - I just enjoy entertaining and it is a second income for my poorly paid day job . Also I can't be dealing with the gigging on a monday->thursday night really!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1460741820' post='3028429']
If your really "in this" compromise comes into the picture.

If I restricted myself to only the music like, I'd be broke and bandless.

Blue
[/quote]

A lot of us have music as a hobby rather than a primary source of income. I very much doubt I could get the same income from playing in a band (and stability) that I do from my day job.

Having the day job lets me find bands that I see as having potential (or forming) and not worrying about the money aspect :)

Blue
[/quote]
Thankfully, the 99% of us who only do this for sh*ts and giggles rather than cash can afford to be a little choosier. 😉

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1460663180' post='3027761']
We did mustang Sally ,oh dear ,come on Eileen , never understand a word he sang myself very bad karaoke singer oh its awful
[/quote]
So was it the choice of tracks or the singer that made you leave?

Blue
[/quote]
i'd much rather play stuff i love and not get paid for it, than play stuff i deeply dislike and get paid for it. but then i don't play music to make money, i play it because i live and breathe it. if i make any money then it's a win win. if i played music as my job, i'd grow to hate it.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1460964402' post='3030091']

A lot of us have music as a hobby rather than a primary source of income. I very much doubt I could get the same income from playing in a band (and stability) that I do from my day job.

Having the day job lets me find bands that I see as having potential (or forming) and not worrying about the money aspect :)
[/quote]

I'm not like "a lot of you"

Not having a day job allows me to do what I want when I want. I call it freedom.

I'm not punching a clock for anyone. And I'm doing just fine. I'm not rich but, I can eat ,pay my mortgage and all my other expenses.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1460976100' post='3030234']

i'd much rather play stuff i love and not get paid for it, than play stuff i deeply dislike and get paid for it. but then i don't play music to make money, i play it because i live and breathe it. if i make any money then it's a win win. if i played music as my job, i'd grow to hate it.
[/quote]

Really, my love grew for it when I realized I could make a living from it. And I am playing the music I love.

It's all still great fun, performing live it always has been. Getting paid is also part of the fun.

There's no shame in getting paid for your trade.

Blue

Edited by blue

Agree with Blue for once. I love being on stage, mostly for the pleasure of seeing an audience enjoy themselves. If that meant Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl and Billy Jean for the rest of time, I'd still take that deal

Edited by neilp

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1460988284' post='3030406']
Really, my love grew for it when I realized I could make a living from it. And I am playing the music I love.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't you think these two statements contradict?

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1460988522' post='3030408']
Agree with Blue for once. I love being on stage, mostly for the pleasure of seeing an audience enjoy themselves. If that meant Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl and Billy Jean for the rest of time, I'd still take that deal
[/quote]

Cool

Yeah some guys have real different take on playing. No this isn't a hobby for me.

I love entertaining and being a part of the entertainment business.

Yes guys, I said "business". Business is not a bad word in my book.

Blue

Edited by blue