Why become a member? ×

Quit my band ,best decision I've made in years

kevvo66

I was in a band for all of 1 audition and 1 rehearsal recently. Apparently not having 40 songs learnt within 2 weeks, when there was no gig for 2 months "didn't show commitment". Ok bye then !

I left the band before that as we learnt a load of new songs for a gig, then the guitarist decided last minute to cut them from the setlist as we "weren't ready". It was a charity gig, we weren't being paid and thus it was a great opportunity to test them out (even though we were ready, he just chickened out).

Recent dealings with joinmyband have left me feeling extremely anti-band, I cannot seem to find people that have realistic expectations from people. It seems to be all weekend warriors who want to gig 8 days a week.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1460447363' post='3025699']
Obviously I read a lot of this stuff on here, so I know it's true, but I've been in about 8 bands so far and only one had a fall out, and that was very civil. I'm currently in 4 bands and we all get on really well. The only childishness is some of the humour. Sorry you've been so unlucky!
[/quote]

I'm more than happy to accept that a lot of it is down to the way I am.

I've never been comfortable with people in general, and working as part of a team, even if doing something I really enjoy, is incredibly stressful for me.
Being diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum last year at the age of 50 has finally helped to explain to me why this is. It's unfortunate, but as much as I enjoy playing music doing it with other people is a nightmare for me.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1460460296' post='3025874']

I'm more than happy to accept that a lot of it is down to the way I am.

I've never been comfortable with people in general, and working as part of a team, even if doing something I really enjoy, is incredibly stressful for me.
Being diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum last year at the age of 50 has finally helped to explain to me why this is. It's unfortunate, but as much as I enjoy playing music doing it with other people is a nightmare for me.
[/quote]

So why don't you just stay away from bands?

Blue

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1460458686' post='3025851']
I was in a band for all of 1 audition and 1 rehearsal recently. Apparently not having 40 songs learnt within 2 weeks, when there was no gig for 2 months "didn't show commitment". Ok bye then !

I left the band before that as we learnt a load of new songs for a gig, then the guitarist decided last minute to cut them from the setlist as we "weren't ready". It was a charity gig, we weren't being paid and thus it was a great opportunity to test them out (even though we were ready, he just chickened out).

Recent dealings with joinmyband have left me feeling extremely anti-band, I cannot seem to find people that have realistic expectations from people. It seems to be all weekend warriors who want to gig 8 days a week.
[/quote]

I can't speak for the UK scene, but in the States, most opportunities advertised to the public are from wanabees and start ups that will never see their first gig.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1460464770' post='3025918']
So why don't you just stay away from bands?

Blue
[/quote]

I do, and have done for many years.
See post #18, where I quite clearly state "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I stopped gigging years ago & I'll never be in another band".[/font][/color]

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1460464973' post='3025920']
I can't speak for the UK scene, but in the States, most opportunities advertised to the public are from wanabees and start ups that will never see their first gig.

Blue
[/quote]

It's definitely a quandary. The most reliable sources are via the grapevine, but if you're new to an area or newly starting out gigging then options may be limited. A bit chicken and egg, really!

Heres the set list
Friends,the Rembrandts
Cliff richard ,cant remember what it is
Lionel richie,all night long
Beat it
Dance the night away
Erasure respect
I could go on but its hurting my teeth now
Dont get me wrong some of it was ok in our set list ,but the crap was out weighing the good good songs:-( ps more crap songs too follow..

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1460465317' post='3025924']

See post #18, where I quite clearly state "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I stopped gigging years ago & I'll never be in another band".[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Good luck, bands are definitely not for everyone.

Blue

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1460478820' post='3026081']
Heres the set list
Friends,the Rembrandts
Beat it
Dance the night away
Erasure respect
Dont get me wrong some of it was ok in our set list ,but the crap was out weighing the good good songs:-( ps more crap songs too follow..
[/quote]

Those are not crap songs. Those are songs you don't like.

Blue

I perform with a number of much bigger groups. When younger I put up with a lot of dross. At 56 I don't want to waste my time on clueless organisations that suck the pleasure out of what we do for fun and enjoyment. I quit a 25 piece last night that I've been with for 7 months as they want new members then don't look after them. They're too cliquey.

Heres the set list
Friends,the Rembrandts
Beat it
Dance the night away
Erasure respect
[/quote]

"Dance The Night Away" by The Mavericks is the song I hate most in all the cosmos.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1460484884' post='3026158']
That friends song just come into my head
I'll be there for you
No you won't so f*** off
Sorry about the language:-/
[/quote]

Brilliant song. I love playing it.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1460404838' post='3025493']
All the most petty, childish behaviour I've encountered in my adult life has been while I've been in bands, which is yet another reason why I stopped gigging years ago & I'll never be in another band.
[/quote]
Although I still gig, this is the truth. Not every band is that bad, but the worst examples I have seen are ALL musicians.

Both bands I've been in recently have been on hiatus for more than a year each. With one, I've done some recording which has fizzled out due to other commitments from the other members. The other band was stupid enough to put up an ad for bass player wanted (for some really silly reasons) and think I might not notice it. So, surprisingly enough I just said that I wasn't really into it anymore and come get your stuff from my studio before I put it on Ebay.

The problem I have is that not many folk want to do progressive material. I'll probably take the rest of the year off from bands and just concentrate on my own stuff and record online. I certainly couldn't be more morose about the whole band thing than I am at the moment so I doubt I'll miss it as much as I love playing live. Sod the aggravation.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1460465317' post='3025924']
[/quote]

I'm very similar to yourself but I've not given up yet. I've found the reward when you find the right people more than worth the heartache of when you don't. The problem is it's a long and arduous project

Heres the set list
Friends,the Rembrandts
Beat it
Dance the night away
Erasure respect
[/quote]

Thanks kev;)
I think you have great patience . I don't think I would've lasted long in that band .
If you played brown eyed girl , I wouldn't have done more than a band rehearsal ;)