Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

For the clarification of any doubt here, couldn't @Clarky, who I belive has one of those amps, replicate the settings that @dmccombe7 used and see if his sounds in the same ballpark?

I

I did and I could not get the same sounds. Mine won't make that grating distorted noise at max Gain. I will leave it to Dave if he wishes to elaborate further on the status of his amp, given the sensitivities in certain posts above.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Second, the manual for my Mesa TT-800 with 3-valve pre also states that you set the master at 1 o'clock, tweak the gain switches (it's got 2 channels) to suit, then crank the master up if necessary.

Can you tell where it says that in the manual please? I had a look in mine (out of curiosity) and can't see that suggestion.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

For the clarification of any doubt here, couldn't @Clarky, who I belive has one of those amps, replicate the settings that @dmccombe7 used and see if his sounds in the same ballpark?

I could get my ashdown to make that completely overloaded noise, and I could get it to make the smooth noise, but there was no setting where it could do both.

@Clarky has been on PM with me since we started looking at HB amps and we've been thru everything we could think off.

I have to repeat that Leszek has been exceptional throughout and i couldn't ask for better support from a manufacturer so please keep that in mind.

I believe something has happened on its trip from Poland to UK.  

Throughout this the amp sounds so so sweet, it has a clarity and warm depth of tone without the muddiness i've heard on other all valve amps.

I mean this is "THE TONE" it really doesn't get any better than what you hear from this amp. 

Its as if i've combined a modern EBS pre-amp with a qood quality all valve power amp. Everything flat its absolutely gorgeous.

Mine is a one of incident and we will get it sorted and for those interested in a HB amp i would strongly recommend you go for it. You will not be disappointed with the build quality and most of all the tone. Sublime.

Dave

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I have to repeat that Leszek has been exceptional throughout and i couldn't ask for better support from a manufacturer so please keep that in mind.

I believe something has happened on its trip from Poland to UK. 

Almost certainly - it has been kicked and thrown around by a lot of people between poland and the UK!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jaybeevee said:

It's comments like this that make me gaze off wistfully into the distance.. I've been on a 4 week waiting list since April for an R400.... getting close now though 

Seriously you will not be disappointed by these amps Jay. The tone is so sweet. I tried the R-400  yesterday and its very close to the WB-100. So so nice.

Warmth and clarity. 

Seriously great kit and very lightweight too.

Trust me it will be well worth the wait for you.

Dave

• Like 2

I would hazard a guess that many people following and maybe commenting on this thread have yet to purchase their first handbox product.As someone who did and ended up with a deal that went sour i think its only right to point out that there is always another side.I have no issues with the quality of handbox equipment,indeed if my situation had been resolved correctly i would probably be playing through a handbox amp now

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 31/08/2022 at 19:25, jb90 said:

He wrote about "lack of knowledge" because many bass players boost gain and left volume on very low levels. You can't get sound with tube amp set like that and you always get "farting" instead a good overdrive. With tube amp your gain is your volume knob and volume knob is your "overdrive level" if that make sense.  

I was looking at these amps and they certainly look very interesting.

However, I think it is acceptable for customers to discuss their amps 'issues' over a forum and this should not cause issue with a manufacturer. If this forum/discussion didn't exist, think of all the amps that would not have been purchased.

In addition, sorry but the below is wrong with the all tube amps I have tried. 

"With tube amp your gain is your volume knob and volume knob is your "overdrive level" if that make sense.  "

I used to own an Orange AD200 and cranking the gain but lowering the overall volume produced an absolutely fantastic overdriven tone. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Just a few hopefully relevant comments based on my experience.

First of all, my R400 sounds good however the controls are set.

Second, the manual for my Mesa TT-800 with 3-valve pre also states that you set the master at 1 o'clock, tweak the gain switches (it's got 2 channels) to suit, then crank the master up if necessary.

Last but not least, if it's possible to get truly awful sounds from Leszek's new amp (which is pretty unusual with modern amps), he should include some sort of user instructions that explain what to do and what NOT to do. This is meant as constructive criticism btw 🙂

Actually, it does not say this in the instant gratification section. It says to start at 1:00 on the channel masters. It’s also a full 2 channel amp, so the master volume controls are used to balance between the two channels for channel switching purposes.

In the feature set descriptions, it clearly describes decreasing the channel master when using high gain settings and increasing the channel master when using lower gain settings.  

All of the controls operate as described throughout the manual, and provide the expected results. Features that are unique or unusual (like the symmetry control) are described in detail, which is why I always recommend to spend some time reading and understanding the owner’s manual. A lot of time and effort go into writing good ones. 

What does the Handbox owner’s manual say about the operation of the master control?

Edited by agedhorse
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, agedhorse said:

Actually, it does not say this in the instant gratification section. It says to start at 1:00 on the channel masters. It’s also a full 2 channel amp, so the master volume controls are used to balance between the two channels for channel switching purposes.

In the feature set descriptions, it clearly describes decreasing the channel master when using high gain settings and increasing the channel master when using lower gain settings.  

All of the controls operate as described throughout the manual, and provide the expected results. Features that are unique or unusual (like the symmetry control) are described in detail, which is why I always recommend to spend some time reading and understanding the owner’s manual. A lot of time and effort go into writing good ones. 

What does the Handbox owner’s manual say about the operation of the master control?

Dont remind me of the TT800. 😂

For a few years it was my dream amp and may yet come into my hands when things settle down but at the moment the WB-100 has a tone to die for and i cant fault it in that respect.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dont remind me of the TT800. 😂

For a few years it was my dream amp and may yet come into my hands when things settle down but at the moment the WB-100 has a tone to die for and i cant fault it in that respect.

Dave

Naaah, just correcting scrumpymike's post in the event that somebody reads it and is confused.

• Like 2

Ex HB100 owner/user input.  

I purchased a 'new' unit from Leszek/HB about 3 years ago which arrived and I initially had an issue with what appeared to be the drive button dropping power/volume down.  It was suggested by Leszek (who responded pretty quickly) that I was using the incorrect output connection to an inappropriate load.  As it happens I wasn't (40 years experience of amps/cabs) and the amp went 'pop' the 2nd time it was powered up due to a fractured/broken power valve.  Long story / short, I ended up with a full refund and the amp was (iirc) repaired and rehomed. 

No slight on Leszek for the full refund but I did find it odd that I was immediately on the back foot as it was intimated that it was my lack of knowledge re ohmage that was the issue, when in fact the amp had a totally separate issue.  

Fast forward a year or so and I ended up purchasing another used WB100 (gawd knows it might have been my original one :) ), which operated 100% as it should.  By that I mean that I could back the master (output volume) down and turn the gain (input control) up and get some classic overdriven sounds at house volumes, which I think is what is being debated.  That isn't however, the way I ran the amp at gig levels as I wanted a clean tone; I then ran the master output full (possibly backed off a smidgen) and adjusted the input to get my desired volume.  

Just my £0.02 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, agedhorse said:

Naaah, just correcting scrumpymike's post in the event that somebody reads it and is confused.

Sorry folks, I was quoting from memory without checking, so just let that be a lesson to me! 🙂 Top marks once again to Agedhorse with his all-seeing eye.

I know this is a HandBox thread but the following comparison may be interesting. My main gig amp is the Mesa TT-800. Once I got my brain calibrated to what the twin-channel Mesa does, I quickly set it up to my liking and it has become the 'gold standard' amp for me. However, the much cheaper and simpler HandBox succeeds in coming so incredibly close in terms of delivering 'my sounds' that I have massive respect for what Leszek has done. Also, as already posted, he was very helpful in liaising with my amp tech to fix a small issue even though I bought mine used off here. In practice, I tend to use the TT-800 at larger/'safer' gigs and the R-400 for playing the smaller/tighter venues and 'wild west saloons' ("Suddenly, the doors flung open revealing a mean, scar-faced dude dressed in black. The customers dived under the tables, the bar-tender hastily turned the mirror round, but the band played on.")

Last but not least, I can report that my R-400 recently survived a 3-foot drop virtually unscathed, despite landing on one corner in the street. I'm not recommending you try it but it's comforting to know that this is one robust piece of kit - especially the famous 'hand-box' wooden case.

• Like 5

Thought it was time for an update on my WB-100.

Took the amp down to our very own WoT who confirmed there was something not right with the amp. While there Leszek asked us to complete some tests and vid record it and send to him.

Leszek offered a replacement or refund right at the start of this and again made the offer and assured me it would be resolved to my satisfaction

We agreed a plan that my local tech guy in Glasgow would have a look inside first to check valves and look for anything obvious.

He did a test and found valves ok and that something was happening inside the amp to cause clipping. At this point he contacted Leszek directly and they agreed it would be better to return the amp to HB. I can appreciate from a privacy point of view he wants to have the amp back at HB for a thorough test and repair as required.

Leszek sent me a message last night while i was at rehearsals telling me about it and will cover all / any additional costs.

I will pick up the amp from tech guy today but i'm going on holiday for 2 weeks but Leszek has no issue waiting until i get back to ship the amp back to him. He will send the replacement amp out next week.

I have to say that Leszek has been fully supportive in the issue. I cant fault HB in their response so far.

Its unfortunate that the amp has an issue but these things happen to all manufacturers at some point. No-one's fault, it happens.

Hopefully in another few weeks of anxious parcel tracking i will have a new working WB-100.

Anyway i'll let you all know when it arrives again.

Dave

• Like 10

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Make sure both you and Handbox sort out all the relevant customs forms to say that the amp is being returned for a warranty repair otherwise you all be stung with another round of VAT, import duties and handling charges for the two additional trips the amps will have to make.

Is that how it works ? Never had to do this before.

I'll look into that.

Dave

I've not had to do it myself, but IIRC without the relevant forms customs at both sides have no way of knowing that sending the amp back to the manufacturer and then the repaired amp coming back to you is not a transaction that needs to be taxed on each journey. Technically on return you would be liable for tax on the cost of the repair, but since it should be FoC under warranty there won't be anything else to pay.

• Thanks 1

When dealing with servicing, generally there's either a declaration or specific harmonized code for a product being returned for factory service when you send it to the factory, and they will use a similar code or declaration when returning it to you. If there is a charge to you, then there may be duty and/or VAT on that charge but not on the entire value of the amp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this thread with interest as I recently purchased a Handbook R400 from eBay which unfortunately had an issue when I received it. It worked intermittently for a short while then wouldn't make any noise at all. The seller said they hadn't used it for some time but had worked fine the last time they tested it. 

The seller was very reasonable and offered to either take the amp back or refund me a % of the original price to allow me to repair it without being out of pocket. I took the chance on the latter. 

I'd already been in touch with Leszek who responded quickly with a one point for my tech to check and supplied schematics. On each email he got back to me quickly. My experience has been of fantastic support by someone clearly passionate about his products. 

I got the amp back from my tech yesterday (it turned out to a failed resistor in the preamp stage - impossible to diagnose without tracing it but ultimately simple to replace). My tech only had good things to say about the R400 and was pleased to say that almost everything inside could be replaced in the event of component failure. Things can fail (especially considering this is one of the earlier models) - that's fine as long as they can be easily repaired. 

I've yet to run it at rehearsal but sounds great so far. Looking forward to putting it through its paces. 

My story is no help to the original poster but thought it worth sharing a positive story here! 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, MrTea said:

I've been following this thread with interest as I recently purchased a Handbook R400 from eBay which unfortunately had an issue when I received it. It worked intermittently for a short while then wouldn't make any noise at all. The seller said they hadn't used it for some time but had worked fine the last time they tested it. 

The seller was very reasonable and offered to either take the amp back or refund me a % of the original price to allow me to repair it without being out of pocket. I took the chance on the latter. 

I'd already been in touch with Leszek who responded quickly with a one point for my tech to check and supplied schematics. On each email he got back to me quickly. My experience has been of fantastic support by someone clearly passionate about his products. 

I got the amp back from my tech yesterday (it turned out to a failed resistor in the preamp stage - impossible to diagnose without tracing it but ultimately simple to replace). My tech only had good things to say about the R400 and was pleased to say that almost everything inside could be replaced in the event of component failure. Things can fail (especially considering this is one of the earlier models) - that's fine as long as they can be easily repaired. 

I've yet to run it at rehearsal but sounds great so far. Looking forward to putting it through its paces. 

My story is no help to the original poster but thought it worth sharing a positive story here! 

My tech guy wouldn't give me any details but he was very impressed by the WB100 especially the power board. He has worked on many many all valve amps and liked what he saw.

• 3 weeks later...

New update :-

Replacement amp arrived today and is working perfectly. Didn't take as long as first one.

Clarity of tone and an amazing depth.

With the amp running flat is thunderous even at lower volumes. I had to dial the bass EQ back to around 9-10 o clock on the amp to get a home tone i liked without rattling pics on the wall.

I can now get that overdriven valve tone.

Downside is that the original amp i returned was sent back to me from customs in UK stating it was too DENSE and they could not verify what was in the box with their scanning equipment and therefore they could not ship by plane. 

I've been offered a full refund on postage.

Leszek is having a think about what to do next as he's confused too.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Parcelforce was courier. That's same company that delivered both from Poland so its a complete mystery unless i've used a different commodity code. I used a valve bass amplifier code so maybe because there are glass valves they wont ship by plane. 

Dont know what code Leszek used.

Cant see valves making a difference.

I've never sent anything abroad that needed customs paperwork like this.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Downside is that the original amp i returned was sent back to me from customs in UK stating it was too DENSE and they could not verify what was in the box with their scanning equipment

I think you misread that, are you sure it didn't say that THEY were too dense to verify what was in the box?

• Haha 3