Why become a member? ×

Which semi hollow?

nerminater

Hi there. I'm new here and have been playing again for about a year after giving up in 1988. Thing is, I'm hankering after a semi hollow but which one? Coronado 2, Starfire, Jack Casady, or Chowney? Or is there something else within that price range. Thanks in advance.

Firstly, welcome back!

All of the basses you mention have fans on this forum, and hopefully some will be along soon to give advice and opinions. Personally I can recommend the Yamaha BEX. Not too easy to find now but a lovely hollow body bass guitar.

Impressed with both the Cassidy and the Starfire basses, unmoved by the Coronado bass, it was Ok but I wouldn't have brought one, totally underwhelmed by the Gretsch Electromatic basses which is such a shame as I love their guitars.

The one which impressed me most as a player was the Jack Cassidy bass and aesthetically it was the least appealing to me as it was in Gold so it must have been good

I owned a Jack Casady model & it was an excellent bass. I'd recommend them to anyone in the market for a semi. There's one for sale on here at the moment with the hard case for a good price too.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='nerminater' timestamp='1460051289' post='3022162']Coronado 2, Starfire, Jack Casady, or Chowney? Or is there something else within that price range.
[/quote]

I'm a little biased as I own a 1967 Verithin, but there is also the Hofner Verythin CT to look at if you are OK with a shorter neck. Light, comfortable and it definitely has the right sound.

That said, I tried a Jack Casady in Wunjo a few weeks ago and really liked it. Get your hands on one to try if you can.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1460059209' post='3022307']
Not at all my area of experience but I must say that I'm sorely tempted by the new long scale Chowny's. Not that I need one, of course...
[/quote]
Likewise. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a 5 string version.... :D

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1460112286' post='3022661']
Likewise. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a 5 string version.... :D
[/quote]

Me too!

However one thing that I haven't seen picked up and discussed is that AFAICS the long scale model uses exactly the same body as the short scale, but with a longer neck, a shorter tail-piece and a repositioned bridge. That means firstly the pickups are more neck biased in their placement on the long scale, and secondly that there is unlikely to be a 5-string version unless the body is redesigned to accommodate the wider neck that would be required. This would most likely require re-tooling which is going to be a significant expense for what is going to be a considerably less popular instrument.

However, the fact that their only competition would be the Warwick StarBass which IIRC correctly has a price tag of close to £2000, it might just make economic sense. I just wouldn't expect it to be the fantastic VFM of the 4-string.

Perhaps Chowny Bass would care to comment?

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1460064453' post='3022362']
I've got major GAS for a Hagstrom Viking in black...
[/quote]
I tried a Hagstrom Viking a few weeks back and I really liked it, if there was a 5 string I would get one today.

I recently bought a Epi JC but I'm yet to get hold of it as it's with Nick Smith. If you're in the Peterborough area feel free to contact Nick (Doctor of the Bass) and ask for a trial. Alternatively hang on till I have it in my hands and pop down to Hatfield in Herts.

I'm sure that others here would also be prepared to make a similar offer.

I have had a german hof beatle bass and a 90's epiphone rivoli in the past and found them to be great
the Rivoli in particular, although it was a one trick pony it did that old school R n B ,jazz thing fantastically well
i dont know how they compare to the j.c. but am very tempted to try one

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1460114053' post='3022687']
Perhaps Chowny Bass would care to comment?
[/quote]

Hello!

Yeah - a few things about 5 strings.

Firstly, they really aren't practical on the short scale version. The tension on the strings is probably too low and the Low B would sound like noise, which leaves high C as your other option.

I've started looking into the possibility of a 5 string 34" Scale Version, and yes it would require a lot of prototyping.

For starters I'd probably have to change the bridge plate, because it doesn't come in a 5 string version. So it'd be a very different spec.

The other thing that gives me pause is that as a small company having a lot of stock variation means having to hold a lot more stock. So if I do it at all, it'll be in a limited colour choice - which is what I'm doing on the fretless shorty that I'm busy prototyping.

Ultimately - if there's enough demand for something - I will do it. So make sure to let me know if there's something you're interested in.

Laters

Edited by Chownybass

I have an Italia Torino that I love, and is my go to bass for a lot of gigs. Easy to play, and has a lovely old school thud with flats on. Perfect for soul.I have also started to use it as my main bass for the punk tribute band I play in, played with a pic, through an Odb 3 into my CTM30 and a couple of 15s. We bit of Flanger or Phaser when the mood takes me too. Makes a fantastic 70s punk growl. Looks too cool slung low too. I didn't try the Chowney basses at the the show, but the guy behind them is a top guy, passionate about getting the bass bass for the money. I've played the Coronado and Starcaster basses and was seriously underwhelmed. As a lifelong Fender player, I was very disappointed. The Eastwood is a nice bass too. If you can find a DeArmand Starfire, they are great basses, I nearly bought one hours after I bought the Italia, but the shop had just taken it in and couldn't decide a price.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1460274813' post='3024147']
Hello!

Yeah - a few things about 5 strings.

Firstly, they really aren't practical on the short scale version. The tension on the strings is probably too low and the Low B would sound like noise, which leaves high C as your other option.

I've started looking into the possibility of a 5 string 34" Scale Version, and yes it would require a lot of prototyping.

For starters I'd probably have to change the bridge plate, because it doesn't come in a 5 string version. So it'd be a very different spec.

The other thing that gives me pause is that as a small company having a lot of stock variation means having to hold a lot more stock. So if I do it at all, it'll be in a limited colour choice - which is what I'm doing on the fretless shorty that I'm busy prototyping.

Ultimately - if there's enough demand for something - I will do it. So make sure to let me know if there's something you're interested in.

Laters
[/quote]

So the nearest stockist to me is Worsely Manchester but for some reason the price is hysterical. Anyone explain?