Why become a member? ×

Single albums from Double albums

BrunoBass

OK so whilst posting on the other thread about double albums I half jokingly suggested a thread where you compile your ultimate single album from an otherwise patchy double or triple effort. Someone else suggested I start it so here it is; based on say 12 tracks or 45-50 minute running time which double album could be made killer by losing the filler?

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

I'll kick if off with the Manics 'Generation Terrorists', as I mentioned it on the other thread:

Slash n Burn
Born to End
Motorcycle Emptiness
You Love Us
Loves Sweet Exile
Little Baby Nothing
Repeat
Stay Beautiful
Condemned to Rock n Roll
Spectators of Suicide
(And I'd add)
Motown Junk

No what a debut that would've been!!

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

Does 'double album' in this case mean one very long album on two discs?
I've always thought a double album was two separate but (often) related albums concieved, recorded, packaged and released together?

I'm only asking because I wasn't aware that Generation Terrorists was a double album. Though it is very long.

Edited by joeystrange

Here's my "White Album" as a cracking single album...

[indent=1]1. "Back in the U.S.S.R." (McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]2. "Dear Prudence" (Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]3. "Glass Onion" ( Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]4. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" (McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]5. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (Harrison)[/indent]
[indent=1]6. "Martha My Dear" ( McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]7. "I'm So Tired" ( Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]8. "Blackbird" ( McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]9. "Birthday" ( McCartney and Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]10. "Yer Blues" (Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]11. "Mother Nature's Son" (McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]12. "Sexy Sadie" ( Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]13 . "Helter Skelter" (McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]14. "Revolution 1" (Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]Total Length 45 mins[/indent]

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1457213510' post='2996494']

[/quote]

A single artistic statement spread thinly over 4 sides of vinyl and released as a single package. One overly long album in other words.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1457213510' post='2996494']
I've always thought a double album was two separate but (often) related albums concieved, recorded, packaged and released together?

I'm only asking because I wasn't aware that Generation Terrorists was a double album. Though it is very long.
[/quote]

Yes, it was a double. That was their manifesto; release one double album, sell sixteen million copies and split up. Although the seven album deal with SONY kind of put paid to that idea!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1457214478' post='2996505']
Here's my "White Album" as a cracking single album...

[indent=1]1. "Back in the U.S.S.R." (McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]2. "Dear Prudence" (Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]3. "Glass Onion" ( Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]4. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" (McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]5. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (Harrison)[/indent]
[indent=1]6. "Martha My Dear" ( McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]7. "I'm So Tired" ( Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]8. "Blackbird" ( McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]9. "Birthday" ( McCartney and Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]10. "Yer Blues" (Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]11. "Mother Nature's Son" (McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]12. "Sexy Sadie" ( Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]13 . "Helter Skelter" (McCartney)[/indent]
[indent=1]14. "Revolution 1" (Lennon)[/indent]
[indent=1]Total Length 45 mins[/indent]
[/quote]
you don't realise how many good tracks there are on this till you start to try and whittle them down, can't argue with most of this but I'd get rid of Martha my dear and replace it with the continuing story of Bungalow Bill or Cry Baby Cry, maybe there ought to be another Beatles thread, which songs would you leave off the Beatles White Album, only joking, or am I :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1457257416' post='2996687']
The Clash - "London Calling" could be re-released as an EP:

1. London Calling
2. Lost In The Supermarket
3. Armegideon Time
[/quote]bit harsh there BigRed, nothing wrong with the first record, it's the second one that's the trouble, so any easy one to make a single album from, Armegideon time isn't on my version of London Calling btw

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1457222738' post='2996576']
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium:

Dani Califormia
Snow
Charlie
Desecration Smile
Tell Me Baby
21st Century
Readymade

That's it - the rest is filler
[/quote]Good call.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1457224030' post='2996585']
Guns n roses use your illusion
[/quote]

Never was a GnR fan, but they had their moments I suppose!

I've heard the argument that Use Your Illusion could have been edited to a killer single more times than I can remember; I don't know the albums at all (or their back catalogue either), so don't feel qualified to say whether this is a good selection, but I'm gonna fire up Spotify and create a playlist...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1457257416' post='2996687']
The Clash - "London Calling" could be re-released as an EP:

1. London Calling
2. Lost In The Supermarket
3. Armegideon Time
[/quote]

Yup, I bought the London Calling album on double heavyweight vinyl last month. Fantastic opening track, then just a load of forgettable filler after that!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1457257679' post='2996692']
you don't realise how many good tracks there are on this till you start to try and whittle them down, can't argue with most of this but I'd get rid of Martha my dear and replace it with the continuing story of Bungalow Bill or Cry Baby Cry, maybe there ought to be another Beatles thread, which songs would you leave off the Beatles White Album, only joking, or am I :)
[/quote]

A lot of them chose themselves and then it was a case of which other few make it up to 45 mins. I wondered about Martha My Dear (is she the cousin of Lovely Rita, Meter Maid?) but it seemed to be the least invidious of Macca's twee sentimental tracks on there. I thought more folks would balk at the absence of Happiness Is A Warm Gun which lots of people seem to love and which has always bored me rigid.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1457259531' post='2996714']
bit harsh there BigRed, nothing wrong with the first record, it's the second one that's the trouble, so any easy one to make a single album from, Armegideon time isn't on my version of London Calling btw
[/quote]

But IMO fair. I was a massive Clash fan based on their first two albums, but was so underwhelmed by London Calling. At the time of its release I really liked the single and then that was about it. I recently revisited it as my musical tastes have somewhat broadened in the past 30 or so years and found that I now like "Lost In The Supermarket" as well. And yes I know "Armegideon Time" isn't on the album, but in light of the weakness of the other material it really should have been there and not relegated to the B-side of the single.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1457337546' post='2997389']
But IMO fair. I was a massive Clash fan based on their first two albums, but was so underwhelmed by London Calling. At the time of its release I really liked the single and then that was about it. I recently revisited it as my musical tastes have somewhat broadened in the past 30 or so years and found that I now like "Lost In The Supermarket" as well. And yes I know "Armegideon Time" isn't on the album, but in light of the weakness of the other material it really should have been there and not relegated to the B-side of the single.
[/quote]I know what you mean about it being a disapointment at the time after the first 2 albums, I too was underwhelmed at first, it was a big depeature from the punky stuff, but over the years I've got to really like the first record, still don't bother with the second one

• 2 weeks later...