Why become a member? ×

Cases / Gig Bags / Compromise

I've never been at all taken with the idea of a gig bag.
They may stop a bass from scratching, but I reckon that's about all.
Mechanical damage is still a distinct possibility and you certainly wouldn't load one into a van anything other than very very carefully.

I've always used a hard case, but those annoy me too.
The bass isn't always held securely, can rattle about inside, and they take up so much space.

I think I'm happy with the compromise I've now settled on.

These poly foam cases - or similar.

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=15847d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=144462915199&gclid=CjwKEAiApOq2BRDoo8SVjZHV7TkSJABLe2iDe2YkxrqAeYqQrek4Y0TbIoIEQu-5nema7IDbY291cxoCS_vw_wcB"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=15847d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=144462915199&gclid=CjwKEAiApOq2BRDoo8SVjZHV7TkSJABLe2iDe2YkxrqAeYqQrek4Y0TbIoIEQu-5nema7IDbY291cxoCS_vw_wcB[/url]

The bass can't rattle around, won't get scratched, and if the case takes a whack, the case is highly likely to absorb it. More so than a badly padded hard case which might just pass all of the impact to the bass, undiminished.

I won't be stacking bass bins on top, but I reckon these work well.

The best hybrid case I found was the Protection Racket 7051. Big, but very well padded and protected with huge pockets into which a Class D amp head could easily be inserted along with cables, effects pedals, etc. And a bargain at around £55.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Protection-Racket-7051-00-Classic-Guitar/dp/B00AKUW4J0"]http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00AKUW4J0[/url]

Has the same problem as a hard case, i.e. if you're doing tight stages there's no room to lie the thing down to access your stuff. Which is where a regular gig bag scores as you can access it vertically and easily stick it behind your rig. So I use a gig bag. Come to think of it, that's probably why it's called a 'gig' bag... ;)

Edited by discreet

Why not just buy a secondhand Hiscox for £60? Mine is in great nick and I never worry about my bass being damaged. Sorry, I just don't understand this thing about hardcases being bulky and taking up loads of room.

Also, who leaves their bags and bits on stage? Trip hazard much?!

Edited by LayDownThaFunk

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1457174410' post='2995971']
The best hybrid case I found was the Protection Racket 7051. Big, but very well padded and protected with huge pockets into which a Class D amp head could easily be inserted along with cables, effects pedals, etc. And a bargain at around £55.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Protection-Racket-7051-00-Classic-Guitar/dp/B00AKUW4J0"]http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00AKUW4J0[/url]

Has the same problem as a hard case, i.e. if you're doing tight stages there's no room to lie the thing down to access your stuff. Which is where a regular gig bag scores as you can access it vertically and easily stick it behind your rig. So I use a gig bag. Come to think of it, that's probably why it's called a 'gig' bag... ;)
[/quote]

Agree, awesome cases. If my bass is going in a van then it gets the Hiscox Hard Case, but if in the back of my car then its the PR 7051 all the way.

If your bass gets damaged in a gig bag, you've bought the wrong one. Cheap thin bags are not much better than a paper bag but get a proper one with full padded protection then it will take deliberate misuse to damage your bass. I have a hard case for all my basses but I only use a leather Harvest gig bag. I'm the only person who carries the bass so my gig bag gives plenty of protection.

As an alternative, the Mono M80 Boot looks pretty good to me.

Right case for the right situation. A cheap gig bag isn't much good if you need to load your bass into the back of the van. On the other hand I wouldn't want to walk half an hour to the rehearsal rooms with a flight case.

Also IME all the decent semi-rigid gig bags take up as much room as a Hiscox case and some of them are almost as heavy. I own a Mono M80 and although it offers a good level of protection to the bass inside, IMO it is uncomfortable to wear while walking for more than a few minutes and therefore doesn't get very much use.

I have a selection of suitable hard cases and comfortable gig bags to fit all my basses and these get used as appropriate instead.

Our van has space behind the crew cab seats, so I generally just use a Mono Vertigo for everything, I do have a Hiscox which is handy if I'm going in a hire van, but doesn't see that much use. The vertigo takes up a little less space than the Hiscox, but it's a lot lighter and can carry cables and strap. I rarely walk far with it, but I've never found anything comfortable after ten minutes walking.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1457363261' post='2997758']
I've walked miles around London with my bass in an M80... It's very comfortable to carry and my basses are seriously heavy. Only slight issue is that it sticks up a bit too high and you have to be careful getting on buses etc.
[/quote]

I have the opposite problem. Because I'm not very tall the bottom edge of the case slaps against the backs of my thighs as I walk. Also for me the top anchor points of the straps are too close together which tends to push the case down my back and exaggerates the problem.

Personally I wouldn't buy another expensive gig bag (more than £40) without trying out it for a good 10 minute walk with my bass in it first.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1457363763' post='2997767']
I have the opposite problem. Because I'm not very tall the bottom edge of the case slaps against the backs of my thighs as I walk. Also for me the top anchor points of the straps are too close together which tends to push the case down my back and exaggerates the problem.

Personally I wouldn't buy another expensive gig bag (more than £40) without trying out it for a good 10 minute walk with my bass in it first.
[/quote]

Yes it's a balance with the height definitely... I have a Marleaux gig bag which is nice and low, only a couple of inches over my head, but as a result the bottom of it hits the backs of my legs, which as you suggest is very annoying.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1457171642' post='2995933']
Mechanical damage is still a distinct possibility and you certainly wouldn't load one into a van anything other than very very carefully.

The bass isn't always held securely, can rattle about inside, and they take up so much space.

[attachment=214136:IMG_1716.jpg][attachment=214137:IMG_1718.jpg][attachment=214138:IMG_1719.jpg]
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=15847d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=144462915199&gclid=CjwKEAiApOq2BRDoo8SVjZHV7TkSJABLe2iDe2YkxrqAeYqQrek4Y0TbIoIEQu-5nema7IDbY291cxoCS_vw_wcB"]http://www.gear4musi...291cxoCS_vw_wcB[/url]

The bass can't rattle around, won't get scratched, and if the case takes a whack, the case is highly likely to absorb it. More so than a badly padded hard case which might just pass all of the impact to the bass, undiminished.

[/quote]
Have one of these that I bought for a guitar and whilst it seems to give good protection they are very cheaply made and the polystyrene interior is not stuck to the outer casing or the internal fabric well at all. That said I've never had any damage to a guitar that has been inside it and I still use it now but only for my beat up guitar as the exposed dried hard glue looks like it could scratch the finish. Another point to think about is the polystyrene at the bottom end of of the case has become compressed and is breaking up so you could end up damaging a heavy bass if it dropped there.
I tried uploading some photo's but for some reason I still can't do that and keep getting an error message that upload has failed. I can send you the photo's if you like.

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1457376981' post='2997972']...
I tried uploading some photo's but for some reason I still can't do that and keep getting an error message that upload has failed...
[/quote]

Photos too big, maybe..? Or, if you've uploaded pics in the past, maybe try this, to delete attachments no longer required, and liberate quota space..?

Go to your 'My Profile' (your pseudo, top right...).
Select 'Edit my Profile' (black button a bit below...).
Select 'Manage Attachments' (in the list on the left...).
They are listed in date order. Navigate to oldest, select those to be deleted (tick boxes on the right...).
Select 'Delete Selected' (grey button at bottom right of list...).
Repeat, page by page, until all unwanted attachments are deleted.

Using the BBCode link supplied by an external photo account such as Imgur is a good idea; the photos are better presented and it uses no BC server space. I use Imgur (it's free...); here's what it looks like (the correct link for Basschat is in green...) ...

Other image hosting sites are similar, I believe (assuming use of a PC; I know nothing of other devices...).
Hope this helps...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1457178271' post='2996033']
If your bass gets damaged in a gig bag, you've bought the wrong one. Cheap thin bags are not much better than a paper bag but get a proper one with full padded protection then it will take deliberate misuse to damage your bass.
[/quote]

+1.

I have one of these: [url="http://www.levysleathers.com/shop/pro-leather-bass-guitar-bag-lm19pr-brn/"]http://www.levysleat...bag-lm19pr-brn/[/url]

and my bass is completely immovable inside and the case is so squidgy that no knocks, toppling over, etc. can damage it. Serious damage occurs through shock waves / trauma so a hard case will not automatically protect your bass from anything more than relatively minor damage.

Edited by colgraff

I've always used hard cases if going in the car or van but am currently having to walk a mile then get the train then get the tube every week for one of my bands so have had to reevaluate.

I was using one of those big rectangular semi-hard cases for a bit but they're incredibly ungainly & it was bruising the side of my leg - I've now invested in a mono m80; its a revalation, great protection & comfort for movement. Id probably still use the hardcase for the van but the mono rules the public transport roost.

I've dumped all my hard cases in favour of Gator Progo's. I've never quite liked the fact that hard cases have no cushioning in them what so ever.

I watched the you tube video of them kicking the Gators' about and slinging a guitar off a first storey roof onto its headstock and I was sold. At £100 a pop they aren't cheep but I'm happy with them. I've ended up with three - so I tie coloured ribbon around the handle to match the bass colour so I know which one I'm picking up! :P

They are ideal for me because I always move my own gear and they do take up a little less space than a hard case.

The only down side is that like BRX mentioned earlier, the shoulder straps aren't quite right so the bottom of the case does bash into my thighs. Not a a massive issue as I don;t have to carry my gear far generally.

Thought I'd pitch in as I was in a similar situation recently. After buying a Ric 4003 I found myself with an expensive bass and only the hard case. The case would be a night are on and off the tube and trains and is heavy.
I bought a Mono Bass Sleeve and its incredible. I looked at moulded hybrid things like Warwick and Gator which just added too much in terms of size (although the protection isn't debatable).
The mono is amazing. Small size, light weigh and easily the most substantial gig bag I've ever seen in my life and it logs great.
Mono say the sleeve is called that as it should act as a skin. I think this doesn't really work from a marketing point of view as sleeve to me contours up images of it being far less than what it is.
Long story short, I am very very impressed and would definitely recommend to someone in the same situation

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1457171642' post='2995933']

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=15847d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=144462915199&gclid=CjwKEAiApOq2BRDoo8SVjZHV7TkSJABLe2iDe2YkxrqAeYqQrek4Y0TbIoIEQu-5nema7IDbY291cxoCS_vw_wcB"]http://www.gear4musi...291cxoCS_vw_wcB[/url]

[/quote]

I have a couple of similar ones, only rectangular, one for guitar and one for bass. They work pretty well. The guitar one was used to transport an SX Les Paul Junior type of guitar to Canada and back, and survived to tell the tale :lol:

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1457176529' post='2996008']
Why not just buy a secondhand Hiscox for £60? Mine is in great nick and I never worry about my bass being damaged. Sorry, I just don't understand this thing about hardcases being bulky and taking up loads of room.

Also, who leaves their bags and bits on stage? Trip hazard much?!
[/quote]

The issue with many hard cases is that they often don't hold the guitar snugly and it can move inside. If something falls on the case the guitar will be ok... but if the case itself is shaken about, so will the instrument inside.
The foam cases I have hold most guitars/basses tight and because of the material they're made of they'll absorb impacts effectively (although that would be it for the case).

Hiscox cases are great, but only if they hold your instrument very snugly and doesn't move around.

I normally use a Fusion F1 gigbag/case hybrid thing. It's bulky for a gig-bag, but has tons of protection, 3cm thick foam, and hard bits where you need them... The bass is better protected there than in most hard cases (except if a cab falls onto it, but the bass travels with me) and it's a lot easier to carry and it has pockets full of accessories, cables, etc.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1457376981' post='2997972']
Have one of these that I bought for a guitar and whilst it seems to give good protection they are very cheaply made and the polystyrene interior is not stuck to the outer casing or the internal fabric well at all. That said I've never had any damage to a guitar that has been inside it and I still use it now but only for my beat up guitar as the exposed dried hard glue looks like it could scratch the finish. Another point to think about is the polystyrene at the bottom end of of the case has become compressed and is breaking up so you could end up damaging a heavy bass if it dropped there.
I tried uploading some photo's but for some reason I still can't do that and keep getting an error message that upload has failed. I can send you the photo's if you like.
[/quote]

That doesn't look great.
The rectangular ones I have are better I think. One is by "Casey", another one I can't recall... I think it may even be Stagg? The Casey one is nicer as they thought better of the handle position.

Similar to this, but I haven't got one of these so I don't know how they compare:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinsman-Standard-Hardfoam-Guitar-Case/dp/B002WCQQKM/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1458844876&sr=1-2&keywords=kinsman+case"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinsman-Standard-Hardfoam-Guitar-Case/dp/B002WCQQKM/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1458844876&sr=1-2&keywords=kinsman+case[/url]

Mine have loops and straps so they can be strapped on the back, but they're not very comfortable that way.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1457814272' post='3002079']
Fusion gig bags are awesome, singles and doubles, very protective, bass stays still, good pockets, made in UK and great customer service
[/quote]

+1

Big fan here.

The F1 was awesome. I recently found out they are discontinued and replaced with a different one that, on paper, doesn't seem as good... we'll see.

Fantastic protection, lots of storage... but what sets these apart are that they're really designed like a rucksack: by far the most comfortable ones to walk with...

[url="http://www.fusion-bags.com/products/f1-bass-guitar-gig-bag"]http://www.fusion-bags.com/products/f1-bass-guitar-gig-bag[/url]