Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabs.

Marty Forrer

Just wanted to give a shout out for Barefaced cabs. I mostly play double bass, and run a GK MB800 head into a high quality "other brand" cab. The damage to my back means light weight is my catch cry , so I bought a Barefaced One10 cab. Perfect! Light, well built, loud, great tone, can hear myself on stage easily. So good in fact I sold my other cab and have ordered another One10 to give me a modular rig. How much money would I have saved over the decades if I'd had this gear back then?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1457079162' post='2995014']
Barefaced certainly have their fans on here.... but, on the other hand... Let's hope this thread doesn't end up like most of the others! :mellow:
[/quote]

Let us know how that turns out for you. ;)

I`ve had a couple of different Barefaced cabs, currently using Super 12Ts, one for smaller gigs, two for bigger gigs (and then only more for the "look" than needing the second one for volume). Find them very good, they seem to be very neutral/uncoloured, so the sound I set up on stage is virtually the same as what goes to the FOH PA. Plus they are incredibly easy to cart about as well. And I also like the look - very plain/functional looking.

I`d just love it if they did a matching 4ohm 1x12 that I could add in to my 4ohm Super 12T to get a bit of a higher set-up, again more for the look than needing the volume, as when I use the two Super 12Ts I have them side by side as too wary of them toppling if stacked vertically. The old Gen 2 Midget is the right size, but 8ohms, aaaarrrgghh.

I'm really happy with my 2 One 10s. I have been using a single cab with a Puma 500 & jazz bass for 12-piece big band rehearsals and was asked to turn it down on Monday. And I was complimented on my sound. Not bad for a 15lb box.

Edited by DBerriff

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1457045549' post='2994906']
Just wanted to give a shout out for Barefaced cabs. I mostly play double bass, and run a GK MB800 head into a high quality "other brand" cab. The damage to my back means light weight is my catch cry , so I bought a Barefaced One10 cab. Perfect! Light, well built, loud, great tone, can hear myself on stage easily. So good in fact I sold my other cab and have ordered another One10 to give me a modular rig. How much money would I have saved over the decades if I'd had this gear back then?
[/quote]

It's good when a plan comes together.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1457081023' post='2995042']
I`ve had a couple of different Barefaced cabs, currently using Super 12Ts, one for smaller gigs, two for bigger gigs (and then only more for the "look" than needing the second one for volume). Find them very good, they seem to be very neutral/uncoloured, so the sound I set up on stage is virtually the same as what goes to the FOH PA. Plus they are incredibly easy to cart about as well. And I also like the look - very plain/functional looking.

I`d just love it if they did a matching 4ohm 1x12 that I could add in to my 4ohm Super 12T to get a bit of a higher set-up, again more for the look than needing the volume, as when I use the two Super 12Ts I have them side by side as too wary of them toppling if stacked vertically. The old Gen 2 Midget is the right size, but 8ohms, aaaarrrgghh.
[/quote]

It would be very hard to match a 1x12" cab with your S12T. The drivers on the S12T are Eminence 3012HO and, as far as i know, they only made it in 8ohms version. I lift mine a bit using an amp stand, about 60cm from the floor. I can hear it better and don't miss the floor coupling in "my tone".

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1457104997' post='2995420']
It would be very hard to match a 1x12" cab with your S12T. The drivers on the S12T are Eminence 3012HO and, as far as i know, they only made it in 8ohms version. I lift mine a bit using an amp stand, about 60cm from the floor. I can hear it better and don't miss the floor coupling in "my tone".
[/quote]

Which amp stand do you use please?

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1457081023' post='2995042']
when I use the two Super 12Ts I have them side by side as too wary of them toppling if stacked vertically
[/quote]

I stack two (2nd gen) compacts which are only 5" shorter than your S12s, never been at all concerned about stability, its not like they are going to spontaneously topple over - only real danger is some drunk punter stumbling and taking them out but they any gear is at risk if that happens.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1457104997' post='2995420'] It would be very hard to match a 1x12" cab with your S12T. The drivers on the S12T are Eminence 3012HO and, as far as i know, they only made it in 8ohms version. I lift mine a bit using an amp stand, about 60cm from the floor. I can hear it better and don't miss the floor coupling in "my tone". [/quote]

Yeah annoying that - in all honesty it`s more for the visual height of the stack from the audience perspective than me needing it for hearing purposes. Though an extra speaker in bigger venues wouldn`t go amiss of course.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1457109969' post='2995498'] I stack two (2nd gen) compacts which are only 5" shorter than your S12s, never been at all concerned about stability, its not like they are going to spontaneously topple over - only real danger is some drunk punter stumbling and taking them out but they any gear is at risk if that happens. [/quote]

Yep, it`s the drunk punter/stage invasion thing, which does happen a fair bit on the punk scene.

I'm looking frwd to see how my new super compact compares to my super 12T , I'm hoping I'll be able to do most pub gigs with my Ashdown ABM1000 & compact . I am just for the the experience going to use my ABM1000 & 12T & DI into my ABM400 powering the super compact :) .

I think one Supercompact is enough for most situations. Last night I had a gig in a small country pub (The Cock in Stansted Mountfitchet). 1 Supercompact, Trace Elliot AH300, passive P bass. Had the gain at 1 o'clock, master at 8 o'clock, people reckoned we were too loud. :)

I've just added a super compact to my G2 compact. Not for volume, just to move more air and thicken the bass sound out.

Gigged them for the second time last weekend, never been happier with my sound. And they weigh less than a duck.

The only drawback I can find is that the super compact is narrower than the G2, so they aren't the same width when stacked which isn't as aesthetically pleasing as it could be. Unfortunately, I don't have the ££ to replace the G2 with another G3!

I love my barefaced midget but alas she up for sale as I have 2 bfm cabs on their way so can't keep my much loved midget , I will shed a tear when my little friend goes , 🙁

Edited by kevvo66