Why become a member? ×

Taste of Honey

The Hat

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1456549841' post='2990196']
Debora Killings on a 6 string Yamaha.? she's like Janice on steroids. She is so good at improvising on the bass while singing. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeZK9BD90F4[/media]
[/quote]

Things like this make me laugh when I later read folk saying they can't handle the P bass neck because they have small hands.

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1456521652' post='2990092']
Superb, are there any other female bass players like her, coz I rather like her !
[/quote]

Janice Johnson was one of the very first bass players I took notice of. When Boogie oogie oogie came out I'd really only been listening to rock music.

Anyway, Rhonda Smith and Gail anne Dorsey are two of my fave female players. Both brilliant.

Really liking Nik West's album at the moment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XqIpzBhcxU

, and of course Carole Kaye is one of the most influential bass players, male or female, that there ever will be.

Edited by Cato

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]They are all great bass player's, Nicky West, Tal, Deborah Killings, Divinity Roxx etc. but none imo come close to the woman in my sig picture. Check out her bass playing on her first album. My first love was Plantation Lullabies, which was an early introduction to Meshell, then i heard this. [/font][/color]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPobCA2LmPQ

Superb, are there any other female bass players like her, coz I rather like her !
[/quote]
She is lovely and got a great sound from her bass. We still do the Boogie Oogie tune and it always goes a storm.
There is a vid of her playing this in the 70s and another in the early 00s and she looks equally foxy in both.

Tab available on Songsterr.com

http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/a-taste-of-honey-boogie-oogie-oogie-bass-tab-s908t8

The main riff is your classic walking octave pattern - you'll soon master this. Break it down into little bits and don't be intimidated.

Good luck

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1456583364' post='2990478']
Is the bass line hard to play ?
[/quote]
Not really though you need a bit of stamina if you are a noob. Octaves will hurt when you are a relatively new player but get easier over time. The little solo bit is pretty much running up the scale and down again. Chorus is fun as plenty of scope for fun. Hand position on the chorus - you can play the root note of the 4 chords from the 5th fret so if you choose to play it like that not a lot of hand movement needed.

Like Bobthedog said - its relative though. Worst case scenario is that you have to keep watching the vid with the foxy bass playing lady...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Boogie Oogie is a great tune. The groove is fantastic. Singing & playing it is hard enough, add dancing in high heels too !![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] You got a real challenge :lol:[/font][/color]

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1456602814' post='2990712']
I'm still very much a beginner so can't really tell if it's hard or not
[/quote]

Even so, trying to play it yourself using the tab, your ears and/or score will tell you if it is hard or not. For me it may be impossible, for you it may be easy but until we both try, who can say if it is difficult.

PS Having just looked at the tab above, I would say this can done easily with practice. As someone said, just take your time and break it down into small pieces. It is very repetitive so there is not too much to learn.

Edited by Bobthedog

[/quote]

Are there any female bass players on this forum, other than Sylvia of course? It seems to be very much a male domain!

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1456705739' post='2991673']
Are there any female bass players on this forum, other than Sylvia of course? It seems to be very much a male domain!
[/quote]

I think one of the ladies on here plays in a Pink Floyd tribute band.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1456828914' post='2992551']
I think one of the ladies on here plays in a Pink Floyd tribute band.
[/quote]
..SpaceChick
and Seashell is a lady too
there are others who visit too