Why become a member? ×

The Year Of Birth Bass

BigRedX

Following HkH's thread on getting a bass for his birthday, many of the people saying that they's like a YoB bass and my initial response, it got me thinking: was there actually a bass made in 1960 that I'd like to own?

These days I'm pretty much a 5-string player (and have been since 1989) so whatever I got would never be my main bass; and since I had a big clear out of my unused musical equipment over the last few years, if I was going to buy a YoB bass it would need to be something that would actually play for more than a bit of fun at home.

If I was looking at getting a guitar there wouldn't be any problem. Aside from the Telecaster (IMO the world's most boring guitar) pretty much anything from 1960 that was playable and sounded good would be fantastic. However the bass guitar being a much younger instrument, the options are far more limited.

Unfortunately the obvious choices from Fender - the Precision and Jazz don't do anything for me. Aside from the fact that I find them dull to look at, years of playing basses that have owed almost nothing to Leo's "classic" designs means that for me, they are unwieldy and uncomfortable to play. And while a decent 1960 P or J will undoubtably increase in value, as I said, for a YoB bass I want something that I'm actually going to do something with other having it sit under the bed in its case as an investment.

So what about the choices from the other big manufacturers of the time? Gibson? The Thunderbird didn't come out until 1963, the violin-shaped EB1's original production run stopped in 1959. AFAICS that leaves the EB0 and the EB2. Both could be possibilities, especially the EB0 since the 1960 model still had the Les Paul TV style body rather than the more usual SG shape.

Rickenbacker? The 4001 was introduced in 1961 so that's out, There was the 4000, but TBH while it is definitely unusual, it looks too much like something made at home by someone who saw a photo of a 4001 once. Too may of what I consider the classic features of the Rikenbacker bass are absent, and the overall design doesn't have the elegant looks of the later model.

I supposed the other well-known brand of the time would be Hofner. The guitars are gorgeous, but the closest I've ever got to one of their basses was in the 80s playing a house-mates very horrible Grant violin bass copy. The 500/1 violin bass is a bit too obvious for me. However the 500/3 and particularly the 500/5 two pickup bass look rather tasty. Were there any other Hofner basses being made in 1960?

What else? It looks as though Mosrite didn't start making basses until 1963. There appear to be some Kay Basses that might have been made in 1960 - the 162 and the Jazz Special Bass, both of which look cool but how good are they as playable bass guitars?

Of course there is always Burns. I already own a Burns bass from the early 60s - a Sonic, but despite the fact that they were being made in 1960, mine almost certainly dates from later in the production run since it has features (rosewood fingerboard and it originally sported a Burns adjustable bridge) that weren't present on the earliest versions. Besides it has been so heavily modified in the intervening years that IMO it would no longer really count even had it been made in 1960. My Sonic Bass needed a quite a bit of work to make it a playable instrument, so I'm not sure if I could get on with the more primitive 1960 model. The other Burns bass from 1960, however, does look rather good as it was more up-market in it's design and construction and it is a long scale unlike most non-Fender basses of the time.

Which brings me to a big problem. Researching the age of my Burns Sonic Bass, made me realise how lucky Fender owners are with their neck and body stamps. Burns instruments didn't sport serial numbers until late 1961, and instruments with set-neck construction had the serial number/date on a sticker. The best I can say about mine was that it was made sometime between 1960 and 1964, most likely in the latter years of the production run. Added to that that, the fact that record keeping was a low priority of many of the smaller companies and most of them went out of business at some point with a subsequent loss of whatever record had been kept, and you can see that accurately dating an instrument from that period becomes very nearly impossible.

One of the instruments I have been keen to try for some time now is the re-issue of the Fender Bass VI. Which got me thinking - when was the original first made? It turns out that it's much older than I originally thought, the first models appearing in 1961 and more importantly that it was inspired by a much earlier Danelectro 6-string bass. So a Danelectro Longhorn 6-stringbass is a strong possibility. Especially since it appears to be able to accurately date them from the serial number.

Are there any other basses that I should be looking at? 1960 appears to be just too early for all the weird designs that were popular a few years later. I'm looking for something a bit unusual design-wise but it needs to be playable and verifiable to 1960. Ideas?

If you like more than four strings, you might consider the Hofner 500/10 six string bass - production began in 1960, so you might find one of the correct vintage

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/hofnerfs/mground/6stb.html

FWIW I have a YOB 1967 Verithin, which I've owned for nearly 30 years. I recently had it properly serviced and set up for the first time in ages. Took it to rehearsal last night; it's sounding awesome.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DYgVCu][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/DYgVCu]My Höfner Verithin Bass by -cybertect-[/url]

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1456312491' post='2987617']
Get an upright maybe? Bound to have been a lot of those made then and playing uprights is a ton of fun.
[/quote]

I've dabbled with upright basses both acoustic and electric over the years enough to know that they are not for me.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1456316383' post='2987690']
If you like more than four strings, you might consider the Hofner 500/10 six string bass - production began in 1960, so you might find one of the correct vintage

[url="http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/hofnerfs/mground/6stb.html"]http://www.vintageho...round/6stb.html[/url]
[/quote]

That definitely looks like an option. My quick skim through the vintage Hofner pages hadn't turned this one up.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1456318094' post='2987725']
Fuuturama/Resonet? Never seen one but just throwing it out there.
[/quote]

I used to own a 60s Futurama Bass as a back up to my Burns Sonic. It was all plastic and red vinyl over plywood and looked pretty impressive. Unfortunately it was probably the worst playing and sounding bass I've ever owned. I won't be going there again.

It's easy for you youngsters, there's rather less around from 1957 (excluding Fenders, as I do) - Danelectro hadn't started doing basses. It looks like Hofner were doing some rather nice archtops like the President. Or there's a Rick 4000, or a Gibson EB-1. Oh, and the Kay Jazz Special.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1456322042' post='2987805']
How annoying - all the companies I thought of which haven't been mentioned started making basses in 1961!
[/quote]
That's pretty much it. All the interesting stuff starts from 1961 onwards.

Still trying to see if Gretch were making basses in 1960 and if so which models.

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1456320737' post='2987781']
Actually, just forget the YOB bass and look at Simon Farmer's new GUS G5 basses. Far more your style.
[/quote]

If I just wanted a fantastic new bass, as I said in HKH's thread I'd just get Simon to make me another G3 5-string the same as my black one but with a couple of extra pickup switching options and a more flamboyant finish.

I just like the idea of being able to have a bass that I find usable that is as old as me. Particularly since my very first ever bass - the Burns Sonic - is very close to that.

I can't seem to post a link but if you google "six great extinct Gretsch basses" it will take you a post on the Gretsch blog which has pictures of their first bass model.

It was called the Bikini(!) and started production in 1961.

Back to the drawing board!

I'm a 1961 vintage and I've had two 61 Ps over the years and frankly neither of them did it for me. I didn't like the necks as they were a bit too big for me to make them a comfortable play..I'm more of a Jazz neck sized guy (cursed with smallish hands you see...) Anyway I think I've got YOB basses out of my system now, I've moved on and much happier for it :0)