Why become a member? ×

Whats your showoff piece

charic

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='288726' date='Sep 21 2008, 07:13 PM']I usually find myselt noodling thru a Bach piece in G, one of the preludes I think :) I like it cos it means I can use my low C legitimately :huh:[/quote]

From the cello suites - probably the Prelude to No 1, which is in G Major - a well-known, and beautiful piece.

You should also run your eye across the second Minuet to No 1 - wonderfully fluid, and not a chord to be found.

There are also adaptations for double bass of the cello suites - so I wasn't being revolutionary when I challenged myself to adapt these for fretless!

Edited by noelk27

Nice to see so many people here using Bach pieces! I was half way through putting the C Major Prelude from the Well Tempered Clavier together for two handed tapping during the summer. I'll finish the arrangement one of these days!

One of the others I do a lot is "Jesu joy of man's desiring" very quickly from the "Double Bass Solo One."

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='288840' date='Sep 21 2008, 10:49 PM']Nice to see so many people here using Bach pieces! I was half way through putting the C Major Prelude from the Well Tempered Clavier together for two handed tapping during the summer. I'll finish the arrangement one of these days!

One of the others I do a lot is "Jesu joy of man's desiring" very quickly from the "Double Bass Solo One."[/quote]

I would play Bach if I was good enough :)

I usually do my rendition on Journey To The End Of East Bay by Rancid.

[quote name='noelk27' post='288804' date='Sep 21 2008, 09:54 PM']From the cello suites - probably the Prelude to No 1, which is in G Major - a well-known, and beautiful piece.

You should also run your eye across the second Minuet to No 1 - wonderfully fluid, and not a chord to be found.

There are also adaptations for double bass of the cello suites - so I wasn't being revolutionary when I challenged myself to adapt these for fretless![/quote]

Sounds about right! I quite like taking the pieces straight from the cello...I enjoy the challenge of a big stretch (oo-er missus!) and I'll try and get a score the for second Minuet, as per your recommendation! lookit us bein all cultured! my nan'd be dead chuffed! :)

[quote name='squire5' post='288711' date='Sep 21 2008, 07:58 PM']The solo from the middle of "Bouree" by Jethro Tull.Glen Cornick magic![/quote]

Ah what a BRILLIANT piece! I remember spending around 2 days working out the whole thing, chords and all, around 3 years ago coz I couldn't find a decent transcription anywhere! Still love playing it to this day :)

My 'show-off' pieces include:

- The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again (live at Shepperton Studios version, the one with the isolated bass)
- Jaco's Donna Lee (first minute or so anyway)
- Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke
- Jamiroquai's Too Young To Die

[quote name='Machines' post='288913' date='Sep 22 2008, 07:43 AM']Level 42- Mr Pink[/quote]Good call.
That's the one I turn to if someone says "can you do that slappy stuff?". So after 30 secs or so of Mr.Pink, I stop and say "yeah, but badly" :)

[quote name='crez5150' post='288932' date='Sep 22 2008, 08:08 AM']Depends.... I prefer to incorporate showing off into songs.... though I did used to play the Magic Roundabout with a two hand tapping type thingy a few years back whichh was always fun.....[/quote]

OMG!!! Me too! ;o) - Dougal is my childhood favourite! ( I have quite a few Magic Roundabout 'things' around my house!!)
I used to do the theme as a little mess about.. but have long sionce forgotten it.

Bizarrely, given my shy shrinking violet character (as some of you know lol) I don't really shred when asked to.. It's that 'being put on the spot' feeling I hate!! - I much prefer to do something in a band context.. an example off the top of my head is playing a song with my old band where me, the guitarist and keyboard player would play a unison solo with sweep picking guitar and bass parts in. Used to look amazing! Those guys are awesome players!

[quote name='spike' post='288763' date='Sep 21 2008, 09:09 PM']Strangely enough, I was learning that this morning and decided it was going to be my new showoff piece. Of course, if anyone asks me to play it I'll immediately forget how it goes[/quote]

Just keep going up in semitones until you get to C - it'll all come back to you.

Higher ground - the chilli's version
The Awakening - les claypool/primus (well the bits up to the fast bit anyway)
naked in the rain - chilli's
hysteria - muse
traveling without moving -jamiroquai
and just recently sir duke

though this rarely happens unless i'm bored at practice and certainly not at a sound check unless its just us there