Why become a member? ×

Stingray 4: 2eq or 3eq?

highwayman

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1455912894' post='2983665']
So I've decided that a Stingray 4-string is the first bass for me (not Sterling etc. - the real deal), but I'm in need of some advice about the differences of 2 or 3 eq?

I believe there's an argument for each?
[/quote]
Yes, it depends on how you want the bass to make you feel when you plug it in.

2-band: "Mmmm, nice ..."
3-band: [i]"Whoah, f**k yeah!"[/i]

I prefer the [i]"Whoah, f**k yeah!" [/i]feeling myself, but YMMV.

Edited by GrammeFriday

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1455957320' post='2983878']
Thank you for the replies all; my favourite bass sound is Paul Raven's from Killing Joke's 'Night Time' - I know other factors such as amp, etc influence such things but that would be my ideal if that helps?
[/quote]
Thought he was a Wal man, always was when I saw them live!

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1455912894' post='2983665']
So I've decided that a Stingray 4-string is the first bass for me (not Sterling etc. - the real deal), but I'm in need of some advice about the differences of 2 or 3 eq?

I believe there's an argument for each?
[/quote]

Think you might find the original US Sterling (still made) with it's 3 band EQ, pick up coils selector and slimmer profile neck is a bit "the real deal". More than welcome to try mine if you are close enough to Wigan.

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/001_zps11oh2b3b.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/011_zpsu5x0zdxz.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1455957320' post='2983878']
Thank you for the replies all; my favourite bass sound is Paul Raven's from Killing Joke's 'Night Time' - I know other factors such as amp, etc influence such things but that would be my ideal if that helps?
[/quote]

Then you want 2 band EQ (and probably a graphite neck as PR played a MM Cutlass bass). :)

Edited by matski

[quote name='cana.dan' timestamp='1455914763' post='2983681']
But, you could alway put a J Retro 3 band in it and you'd get the great 2 band sound, but with the ability to change the mids if needed.
[/quote]

The John East MM pre-amp is amazing, based on the original MM pre-amp, and with the optional sweepable mid control it's just so versatile. That's what I would do, in fact I did.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1455955767' post='2983867']

Yes, it depends on how you want the bass to make you feel when you plug it in.

2-band: "Mmmm, nice ..."
3-band: [i]"Whoah, f**k yeah!"[/i]

I prefer the [i]"Whoah, f**k yeah!" [/i]feeling myself, but YMMV.
[/quote]

Same here. 3 band for me!

The 3 band gives far more flexibility especially in a live situation, for instance in rooms with difficult acoustics. It's also more refined as the filters take out boomy frequencies which can occur with the 2 band.

However the 2 band is also a fine EQ and makes some classic sounds - used my 2 band Sabre Friday night in a blues/funk gig to good effect - would have liked the mid control a couple of times when the guitarists got all crunchy and filled all the space though - I suspect it didn't matter to the audience but made it difficult for me to hear myself at those moments.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1456091563' post='2985361']

The John East MM pre-amp is amazing, based on the original MM pre-amp
[/quote]

I've heard it's very good but not been tempted to swap out the electronics on any of my Stingrays.

Which version is it based on - apparently there were several iterations between 1976 and 79 - I think I read somewhere it was based on John East's own Stingray (76 or 77?)

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1456100288' post='2985465']
I've heard it's very good but not been tempted to swap out the electronics on any of my Stingrays.

Which version is it based on - apparently there were several iterations between 1976 and 79 - I think I read somewhere it was based on John East's own Stingray (76 or 77?)
[/quote]

Hmmm, not sure. Their website says "the original" Stingray preamp. I had a three band Ray and I didn't like the sound of the bass boost, I had a G&L L2500 and I preferred the preamp in that, but I preferred the feel of the stingray. I think I'd have sold the Ray and kept the G&L if I hadn't changed the preamp.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1456091563' post='2985361']
The John East MM pre-amp is amazing, based on the original MM pre-amp, and with the optional sweepable mid control it's just so versatile. That's what I would do, in fact I did.
[/quote]

and that's what I did too in my 2002 2EQ model. It transformed a great bass into an amazing bass.

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1459286805' post='3015225']
Update, I'm now in possession of a gorgeous 2eq black Stingray with a stunning maple neck - I love it!
Although I think the black pick guard looks superb I've also bought a mirrored one, however I'll wait until I have a degree of competency before I fit it...
[/quote]

welcome to the Stingray club! :P

Nice choice.
I hope you enjoy it as it is and be done... *however*, if you feel there's a little something that could make it batter and can't put your finger on it, I'll share two experiences with 2EQ preamps that *for me* transformed a good bass into a much better bass.

1) replace the original 2EQ with a John East MMSR 3-band 3-knob preamp. Straight replacement. The mids are flat at the centre detent, so you get the 2EQ flavour still (although I find John East's a bit tighter and more refined than my 2002 one was), and the mids with mid-sweep frequency control just opens it up tremendously. So versatile.

2) rewire the pickup from parallel to series. The series configuration has a bit more punch, more mids... and for me that works perfectly with an original 2EQ.

Just suggestions in case one day you get bored with it. I hope you don't ;)