Why become a member? ×

This is why I want to learn fretless

Pinball

It was a relief to click on the link and not find lots of fretless mwah mwah melodic soloing. This is my kind of fretless - rhythmic and funky. There is an important lack of sustain with this type of playing that a fretless board adds to nicely.
Thanks for the link.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1454899522' post='2974021']
A few practice *hours/days/weeks *delete as appropriate. Have been put in there.
[/quote]

Damn right! Wow. Great playing - good sense of rhythm and an unusual technique in places.

Really enjoyed it :) Definitely a breath of fresh air from the usual 'twiddly mwah-fest' that tends to typify fretless playing [i](not that I don't find that mwah-vellous too!).[/i]

Edited by Skol303

Interesting right-hand technique too... he seems to alternate between anchoring the thumb and plucking with [b]i[/b] and [b]m[/b], and anchoring with [b]a[/b] and/or the little finger and plucking with [b]p[/b] and [b]i[/b] (and probably [b]m[/b]). Nice!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1454927469' post='2974157']
Interesting right-hand technique too... he seems to alternate between anchoring the thumb and plucking with [b]i[/b] and [b]m[/b], and anchoring with [b]a[/b] and/or the little finger and plucking with [b]p[/b] and [b]i[/b] (and probably [b]m[/b]). Nice!
[/quote]

Yeah, made my head hurt a little watching him do that! :blink:

Doesn't seem to be the most efficient way of playing. But what the heck, it clearly works for him.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1454927469' post='2974157']
[/quote]I liked that too. Ultimately, use what works when you need it. No technique is off limits.

I don't see it a 'learning to play the fretless' as much as 'playing the fretless'. A fretless is just a fretted bass without frets. It is not a 'new' instrument. A guitarist who plays six string doesn't need to 'learn' how to play 12 string. You need to explore the potential of a new voice but 'learning to play the fretless' is setting up a psychological barrier that isn't there.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1454927726' post='2974162']
'learning to play the fretless' is setting up a psychological barrier that isn't there.
[/quote]
Especially as if you look at your playing you'll notice that you tend to play just behind the fret anyway as that's the best tone, so you're most of the way there anyway. Back end of the fret sounds terrible.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1454927726' post='2974162']
I don't see it a 'learning to play the fretless' as much as 'playing the fretless'. A fretless is just a fretted bass without frets. It is not a 'new' instrument. A guitarist who plays six string doesn't need to 'learn' how to play 12 string. You need to explore the potential of a new voice but 'learning to play the fretless' is setting up a psychological barrier that isn't there.
[/quote]
Post Of The Week (so far, at least) for me! :D

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1454916133' post='2974037']
It was a relief to click on the link and not find lots of fretless mwah mwah melodic soloing. This is my kind of fretless - rhythmic and funky. There is an important lack of sustain with this type of playing that a fretless board adds to nicely.
Thanks for the link.
[/quote]

This. That's my kind of fretless playing.

Remco does some darn funky stuff. I can manage thumb on E and A and index and middle for noodly bits and chords: obviously not like he can, but it's not like learning a new language or anything, just approaching the strings in a different way. It's actually easier to incorporate rests and a bit of swing by alternating thumb and fingers (for me anyway.)