Why become a member? ×

Person buying my expensive bass

Nice Geordie guy.
He is sending his mate who lives in twickenham down to see me in a few mins .
When I asked his mate 'whereabouts in twickenham'?'
The only reply I got idle ' twickenham'

He knows my address .
I have both of their mobile numbers .
I may have to take his car no.

I may be over worrying .
We will see

I had a massive stress-out about someone off gumtree buying my furniture the other day, there was something weird about their text manners as well, just short snappy replies, bit unfriendly, got a bad feeling in my gut about them. So I hid in my car and waited for them to turn up so I could see who they were before letting them in my house.

They were just a standard couple in their 30s so I ended up feeling a bit stupid in the end. You hear so much bad stuff about gumtree these days it's hard not to get paranoid and o.t.t about it all. Still if it wasn't furniture I would have chosen a public place to meet for sure.

I've never met a person who didn't seem likable when dealing with bass gear, be it on here or ebay or wherever. Maybe it's a bass player
thing but everyone I've dealt with in person has been friendly and happy to talk bass gear.

Glad your deal went without a hitch!

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1453837208' post='2963331']
I've never met a person who didn't seem likeable when dealing with bass gear, be it on here or ebay or wherever. Maybe it's a bass player
thing but everyone I've dealt with in person has been friendly and happy to talk bass gear.

Glad your deal went without a hitch!
[/quote]

Totally agree

A polish guy brought my old Hartke combo, travelled all the way up from just outside of the M25 to Brum to collect.
Wasn't until he was stuck in traffic that it was revealed that the person I had been talking with was his wife as he couldn't speak a word of English.
Red flags went off, something smelled dodgy - was panicking from then on.

He eventually turned up at about 12.45am and.... turned out to be a real nice guy.
Had a conversation (more like charades really) about how he had the same amp in Poland but couldn't bring it over and also about the escaped cows that had shut down the M40 for 5 hours.

Funny how we always jump to the worse conclusions eh?

Glad it all worked out for you though!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1453836098' post='2963312']
Thanks rich
It's cash only . It just annoyed me that he won't say where he lives, yet he now hasn't address
[/quote]

To be fair, if I was arranging to buy a bass cash on collection and the seller sent me messages asking me specifically where I lived a lot of alarm bells would be ringing at my end if I'm being honest.

Glad it all worked out mind you.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1453850250' post='2963534']
To be fair, if I was arranging to buy a bass cash on collection and the seller sent me messages asking me specifically where I lived a lot of alarm bells would be ringing at my end if I'm being honest.

Glad it all worked out mind you.
[/quote]

Good point - he may well have felt nervous about giving personal information away, especially when he's buying an expensive bass. My guitarist doesn't like to disclose the extent of his guitar collection outside a small trusted circle as he is scared of making himself a target for burglary

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1453889652' post='2963758']
why did you sell it?

now you'll have to buy another one.... or two :D
[/quote]

Feels odd now it's gone .sold it due to a couple of large bills . I'm trying to hold fire - for now ;)
I will , if I want , but an expensive bass to make up for it in a few months .
Now , staying disciplined is the hard part ;)

Glad your sale went okay. I have twice sold and once bought instruments where it was cash and we met in a car park. Scary. But each time I have met really nice people and had trouble free transactions. May be the musician fraternity is just a bit more honourable than the rest of the world!

Edited by Grahambythesea

When it's been bass related any used in person buys I've had I've always found them nice people and normally nice clean homes.

I do worry about people having my address in similar situations, it can make me very ill (Ptsd) thankfully bass players or indeed most instrument players always seem like decent people.

But if your selling and you want a smooth sale most people want to try out a bass especially an expensive one so really it's the only way forward. I guess there's always risks and as I've been told thinking about them too deeply won't help, you can only take sensible precautions.

I don't quite get this, I'd be nothing but massively suspicious if I were buying something and the seller wanted to meet me in a public place. I'd immediately consider that the gear is probably stolen and that if something came back to bite me then the police would have nothing to go on- "I met the guy in Costa officer"

I once bought a car from a street corner. Obviously I was uncomfortable with this and made the seller bring along photo and address ID, as well as getting the backstory, turns out he was the son of a local car sales garage owner, and this was a trade in that went below the value they would have on their forecourt. I also checked out the name and found the garage concerned and the names all matched up. I'm sure I remember seeing an old Deals on Wheels where all advice about buying a car outside a house was to make sure that you go inside, and hand over the cash for no other reason than to prove this was where the seller actually lived.