Why become a member? ×

Reliced Fivers?

therealting

I know this will seem like a mad idea given that five string Fenders weren't around in the 60s/70s, but personally I'd love a lightly worn vintage-looking Jazz or Precision. Who makes them?

I've seen Sandbergs, but the massive polepieces etc don't appeal to me. I suppose I could get a Fender 5 and get it refinished in thin-skin nitro, but am wondering if anyone already does these.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1452850595' post='2954013']
I suppose I could get a Fender 5 and get it refinished in thin-skin nitro, but am wondering if anyone already does these.
[/quote]

That's probably a good idea if you buy an unfinished one - and it need not be Fender. A Nitro finish will naturally relic/age much nicer than the Poly on most of the alternatives. 90% of companies that offer a Nitro finish these days are actually Nitro sprayed over a Poly base coat, so they will not age and check in the same way old finishes do.

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1452860718' post='2954150']
That's probably a good idea if you buy an unfinished one - and it need not be Fender. A Nitro finish will naturally relic/age much nicer than the Poly on most of the alternatives. 90% of companies that offer a Nitro finish these days are actually Nitro sprayed over a Poly base coat, so they will not age and check in the same way old finishes do.
[/quote]

I'm not massively knowledgeable about old Fenders, but I'd read that they have been using a thick polyester sealer as a base coat since some time in the 60s at least, so finishing that way might be appropriate for a 60s style instrument.

Yep, late 60s is when they moved on to Poly, though they didn't bother with the Nitro on top though, that's more of a recent thing so they can advertise a Nitro finish without the issues that come with it. So, yes it would be accurate if you're going for a late 60s/70s to have a Poly finish. But usually what people want with a relic type finish is a thin Nitro finish :).

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1452887318' post='2954530']
Just seen that there's actually a reliced Sandberg in the sale section... shame it's 35" scale!
[/quote]
I know they're flavour of the month on here, and I myself am in the middle of speccing one, but Maruszcyck offer custom builds at very competitive prices and are virtually totally customisable. I'm speccing an active PJ 5 with a hum bucker/dual jazz coils in the bridge splittable with the single coil sound coming from a 70s position J coil!

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1452951909' post='2954998']
That is stunning.
[/quote]

Thanks, I enjoyed the whole process, but ultimately sold it because I just have too many basses and wanted to move "bass money" into a different amp.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lakland-Skyline-Series-Joe-Osborn-5-String-Bass-with-Hard-Case-/151913609373?hash=item235ec1b89d%3Ag%3AQgwAAOSw7FRWXXpn&nma=true&si=0VqcDA%252Bx0U1U0KqQ8v1Zya0Jb7I%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1452859248' post='2954127']

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1452856622' post='2954085']
I wouldn't want a lime light fiver, afaik they are just made from cheap generic parts so the five string neck wouldn't have the graphite rods of the newer fender fives making it like the old pre 2008 (?) Ones with a terrible B.
[/quote]

Fair enough - Necks are finicky things - well the wood ones are as wood is finicky stuff. Strength and density varies within the same plank let alone the same species, and while graphite rods are probably a good way to get consistent necks (from a mass production point of view), especially when they're transported all over the world (without climate control) . . . IMO Graphite rods does not a good low B make. IME it's mostly about the string (bad strings just sound garbage compared to high quality ones) and the setup. If the action is to be low - and the relief minimal - You'd better play light and have a near perfect fret job or it will not speak across it's length at all well. All this is assuming a stable neck. If the neck is not stable (e.g. less dense maple, inappropriate grain pattern, not quite dry enough when it was worked etc. etc. etc.) the moving mass of the strings (this is my pet theory anyway) will cause the neck to vibrate and slightly flex, sucking sustain from the string.