Why become a member? ×

Barefaced vs Vanderkley vs PJB

siphillips

Need some help and advise guys! Looking to get a new lightweight cab with plenty of juice for a busy 5 piece wedding/function band. I currently use a Phil Jones M500 head ( Which I love!) and a barefaced big baby 2 (Gen 3) cab.

Im looking for a cab which is of a similar size / weight( if possible) but mainly one which has nice rich lows punchy mids and general nice crisp/ clean sound to it.

I had previously been recommended to buy x2 PJB c4 lite cabs and have been advised these would work well with the head and also should be quite loud. Trouble is I've had PJB cabs in the past and although I LOVE the tone I have found some of there cabs/combos lack the juice for the rooms I'm playing.( these cabs I'm talking about are the 8b neo, suitcase with Ext cab, also tried the 4b piranha). However I really was hoping the new C4 lites would solve my problems with regards to compact/loud and light.

I have been advised by bass direct that the Vanderkley 112 MNT could be a problem solver and ticks all the boxes in regards to sound/tone/weight and volume to an extent ( recommended having 2 for more air).

Thoughts on this would be much appreciated, looking for a full sound with enough volume and my fingers, with a cab or cabs that can fit in a boot of aVW Golf haha! also needs to be reasonably light as I have a few health conditions.

Cheers! ... sorry for the essay!

Edited by siphillips

It's not that the barefaced is lacking , I'm looking for a cleaner /sparkly sounding cab. I also like to have a spare for emergencys. I have had issues in the past with gear breaking down(Mainly my ampeg cab and head but got rid not long after) and not having anything to use for gigs when out for repair.

Edited by siphillips

Have you thought about Schroeder? They've a great range of lightweight compact cabs, and they've a UK distributor now as well. Everything from a 1x8 cab that'll deliver 400W up to a great range of multi-speaker cabs (the 812 or 1210 might be good options for a one-cab solution to your needs). I use their 1212 and 115 cabs and they've coped brilliantly with everything I've thrown at them. It's the older version of the 1212 with the downward firing driver, so it has pretty much the same dimensions as a 1x12 cab. Check out schroedercabinets.com for more info.

I have 2x 112mnt powered by a Puma 900.
They love power and sound deep and clear with a slight low mid push. They are also beautifully finished. Can't speak for the PJB and don't want to get involved in another B*******d row😬

I think you are right about the pjb. I use an m500 and an 8 b and it is fine in my 3 piece but struggled with a 4 or 5 piece band. I [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[color=#222222]First I added a 4b pirhana, to go with the 8b, then I bought a 12b, but neither quite did it. 2x 8b is pretty good though but not really practical [/color][color=#222222][font=Wingdings][size=2][font=Wingdings]J[/font][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#222222]Im currently using one of the new fender 4x10s normally with a fender bassman, but I have used it with the M500 and thats pretty loud and clear.[/color]

[color=#222222]Ive not tried a barefaced, so I cant comment.[/color]

[color=#222222]I would think a 2x12 or 2 1x12 would probably do it. [/color]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452808919' post='2953790']
The BB2 will go much louder than any other 112 cab, including the Vanderkley.

As Barefaced cabs are very good at putting out what you put in I'd suggest you could check your tone settings or check the cab by trying a different amp.
[/quote]
Absolutely ChrisB I had totally overlooked those things and have now come to my senses... clearly the op needs to learn how to use his amp correctly or even replace his amp altogether for one that is a little more flat response/honest/puts out what you put in/high efficiency/ louder than any other amp for the size and weight, and most importantly can push those very special custom made, top secret, state of the art drivers with unbelievably impressive Xmax and dispersion performance to their limit, it is inconceivable that someone would find a B*******d product not to taste!

[quote name='siphillips' timestamp='1452802619' post='2953701']
It's not that the barefaced is lacking , I'm looking for a cleaner /sparkly sounding cab. I also like to have a spare for emergencys. I have had issues in the past with gear breaking down and not having anything to use.
[/quote]

Cleaner than a BB2? My hunch is that the problem may be elsewhere in the signal path. The BB2 is only second to a nuns habit when it comes to being untainted.

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1452839665' post='2953902']

Absolutely ChrisB I had totally overlooked those things and have now come to my senses... clearly the op needs to learn how to use his amp correctly or even replace his amp altogether for one that is a little more flat response/honest/puts out what you put in/high efficiency/ louder than any other amp for the size and weight, and most importantly can push those very special custom made, top secret, state of the art drivers with unbelievably impressive Xmax and dispersion performance to their limit, it is inconceivable that someone would find a B*******d product not to taste!
[/quote]

I think maybe you've over reacted Ian as no one has started a row :) :) but it's a very good point and a place to start. The OP may well not have to buy anything new at all as the issues could be elsewhere. *trying* not buying an amp could help to discover this.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1452842595' post='2953919']

I think maybe you've over reacted Ian as no one has started a row :) :) but it's a very good point and a place to start. The OP may well not have to buy anything new at all as the issues could be elsewhere. *trying* not buying an amp could help to discover this.
[/quote]
Hey Dood I haven't over reacted don't worry, I just woke up feeling a little mischievous this morning 😀 Just playing lol

SiPhilips, how do you place your cabinets? Are you able to point it towards your ears or get it up high? Sometimes clarity is lost when we are pushed on to tight stages and we have little choice but to fire the sound out to our knee caps. I was wondering if you were having to do the same?

As for lows, I do know the BB2 and PJB (to a point) don't have a baked in 'bump' in the lows. Maybe a cabinet with that could be the way to go? It would sound fuller from a flat EQ setting and pleasing to the ear. A bit like punching in the loudness button on hifi separates!

If you can try one - and I haven't checked where you are, the Bergantino CN212 I think might be a nice solution. Or if you were near to me and wanted to stick to BF, I have a barefaced Big Twin II which I think would be stunning.

Edited by dood

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1452843081' post='2953923']

Hey Dood I haven't over reacted don't worry, I just woke up feeling a little mischievous this morning 😀 Just playing lol
[/quote]

Ooooooh you little monkey :) :) :) :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452808919' post='2953790']
The BB2 will go much louder than any other 112 cab, including the Vanderkley.

As Barefaced cabs are very good at putting out what you put in I'd suggest you could check your tone settings or check the cab by trying a different amp.
[/quote]

This ^ except that I would edit it to say that [i][b]most[/b][/i] BF cabs are very good at putting out what you put in. Some are designed to be coloured :)

Some amps just don't "work" with some cabs. I tried a few different ones with my BF Big One so i learned that the hard way... :mellow:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1452844385' post='2953930']

This ^ except that I would edit it to say that [i][b]most[/b][/i] BF cabs are very good at putting out what you put in. Some are designed to be coloured :)

Some amps just don't "work" with some cabs. I tried a few different ones with my BF Big One so i learned that the hard way... :mellow:
[/quote]

I think all cabs are coloured, I really don't buy into the whole flat response thing, some of the best cabs that I have played have been very "coloured"

What about adding a second BB2 or a Compact to give you a modular 2x12 rig? Like Dan (Dood), I also use a Barefaced Big Twin 2. It's a great cab for my needs. Having said that, I've always loved the look of Berg cabs. They're IMO probably the classiest looking cabs on the market and those who use them always speak highly of them, I played through a NV610 once and it was epic! Maybe see if there's a bass bash going on near you anytime soon, which would give you the opportunity to try some options out.

Thanks for your response everyone,

Firstly I already have a very clean/true sounding bass head the m500 sounds like no other too my ears and I've used the usual ( mark bass , Genz Benz , ampeg and TC).

The barefaced cab is nice it's not the issue however just on a few points raised I would say the cab can sound boxy at times and have found this to be where the cab is placed in the room ( like any other bass cab). However to my ears it seems to be more obv with this.

Yes mostly my gigs are in tight spaces where my cab is at my knees and I am pretty much standing on it due to floor space so I know this may be an issue.

* Going back to the initial point in the post -

I'm looking for a cab as a spare and back up , no looking to outshine the BF cab looking for similar in terms of a one cab solution.

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1452844884' post='2953933']

I think all cabs are coloured, I really don't buy into the whole flat response thing, some of the best cabs that I have played have been very "coloured"
[/quote]

I agree too. Completely flat response amps for example can sound bland in comparison unless you are getting your EQ elsewhere. A flat amp with a 'flat' cabinet can sound a bit weak and nasal in some circumstances. I have found that I prefer 'hifi' rather than flat response in nearly all cases. All cabinets are coloured, yup that's a fact. Some more so than others and to great effect I feel.

Edited by dood