Musical blind spots

interpol52

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1452724938' post='2952983']
Bob Dylan
Van Morrison
Nirvana

All passed me by..
[/quote]

Me too. I wasn't really listening to contemporary bands when Nirvana bloomed, but I can see the appeal. Not so with Dylan and Morrison... a lot of people say ah, it's Dylan's lyrics.... but even great lyrics don't sway me if I don't find anything to interest me in the music.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1452782118' post='2953462']

Yep that's kind of what I meant. Acts that for whatever reason have slipped under your radar, no negative feeling whatsoever.
[/quote]

I don't know how David Bowie can have slipped under anyone's radar unless they were born in 1990.

I mean I was born in 1969, I've heard loads of Beatles tunes but never bought anything or actively listened to them other to learn a tune.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452783596' post='2953481']

I don't know how David Bowie can have slipped under anyone's radar unless they were born in 1990.

I mean I was born in 1969, I've heard loads of Beatles tunes but never bought anything or actively listened to them other to learn a tune.
[/quote]

I was born in 1975. I know exactly who David Bowie was (is? I don't know which to say and be respectful) and I know some of his songs. I meant that the majority of his music I don't know, like album tracks and those songs or performances that mean you feel you really know an artist.

I haven't avoided his music, I don't dislike what I know of his songs. It's just that I have never dug deeper into his musical output for whatever reason. It might happen, maybe tonight I will listen and I will be hooked?! Who knows? I might have a go.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1452786382' post='2953513']

I was born in 1975. I know exactly who David Bowie was (is? I don't know which to say and be respectful) and I know some of his songs. I meant that the majority of his music I don't know, like album tracks and those songs or performances that mean you feel you really know an artist.

I haven't avoided his music, I don't dislike what I know of his songs. It's just that I have never dug deeper into his musical output for whatever reason.
[/quote]
Exactly the same here. Even down to being born in 1975.

I am always finding new music that I enjoy, whether it's new-new or new-old. Perhaps this has made me lazy but I just don't feel the need to work hard at listening to music just because other people say it is/was important. Maybe I end up missing out on stuff? But so what? Does is really matter as long as I am enjoying what I do listen to? Isn't that the point of music?

If no new music was made from this day onward, there would still be far more music in the world than any one person could ever listen to, even if each person was to discover ten new bands, that they hadn't heard of, every day. And how much could one really take in if you're just trying to listen to as much as you can? How can someone really absorb it that way?

The sosososososo guy I mentioned earlier (whose name I can't remember. I could have a guess but I'd be very embarrassed if I got it wrong) insisted that music wasn't entertainment and that if you enjoy it you're doing it wrong. He was very quickly told just how far up his arse his head was...

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1452778534' post='2953382']
I think it's crazy that people have not listened to Iannis Xenakis, or Krzysztof Penderecki it baffles me. I can forgive people who maybe arent into Tristan Murail as much as they're into Pierre Boulez but you need to see the importance of both composers. I just love it all. f***ing 24 notes man.

:D
[/quote]

I preferred their earlier stuff; you know, before you liked them.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452787791' post='2953536']
I preferred their earlier stuff; you know, before you liked them.
[/quote]

Dude Im gonna Spotify them right now lol

It's weird for me I just really love listening to music. All of it, new, old, heavy, trippy, sludgy, upbeat, slow e.t.c

Nothing more amazing for me than to put on a new record and fall in love with it. You guys are right, sometimes I might listen to something and it's not for me :-)

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1452768291' post='2953195']

Quite simply, brass and woodwind instruments are not in concert pitch (c) - most brass and tenor sax are tuned to Bb, so when they play in the key of C for them the rest of us are in Bb. Just to make things worse, alto sax is tuned to Eb, so when they play a C we have to play Eb. C is the most common key as it has no flats of sharps (black notes on the piano), so is the easiest key to read music in.
[/quote]

Exactly.

Which is why you often hear what we call a clarinet being referred to as a Bb Clarinet. Other turnings are available but generally sneered at.

And just wait til you end up in the middle of a horn/sax section chatting about transposing from "normal" keys so they can work out a part...

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1452799962' post='2953668']

And just wait til you end up in the middle of a horn/sax section chatting about transposing from "normal" keys so they can work out a part...
[/quote]

Luckily for me I hate the sound of horn sections with a passion (and saxophones in particular) so it's not a problem I ever came across.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1452764488' post='2953147']

I'm not sure what you mean by that[/quote]

It means I never just say I don't like this band or that band without knowing anything about the band, artist or their music.But that's just me.

Blue

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1452790204' post='2953555']

It's weird for me I just really love listening to music. All of it, new, old, heavy, trippy, sludgy, upbeat, slow e.t.c

Nothing more amazing for me than to put on a new record and fall in love with it. You guys are right, sometimes I might listen to something and it's not for me :-)
[/quote]

Now, that's cool. Saying a band isn't for you after you've had a listen.

Blue

There comes a point when other things in your life take over and somehow you stop listening to "current" music. I sadly fall into that category so that's my blind spot. I was brought up on a diet of blues from my pro piano playing dad but fortunately he had a really eclectic library of music which i came to enjoy with literally thousands of cassettes (used to get bootlegged ones from the Middle East). Me and my drummer brother would get stoned and pick random cassettes from the collection and have a listen. Dad and his collection introduced me to Johnny Guitar Watson, Donald Fagen, Stax, Chess, Horace Silver, Charlie Parker, Fatback Band - just loads of great stuff.

All that said, classical is another blind spot as is all the types of metal (runs for cover) and reggae isn't on any playlist. That said, if there were a fee involved, my blind spot would soon disappear.

Yes, very much so, other parts of life do 'get in the way of' exploring all music.

Currently music falls into 3 broad categories for me. Music I like, music I don't like and music I've not listened to.

There's a lot of music I've not listened to and to be honest I doubt I'll ever make much of an indent on it

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1452790204' post='2953555']
[/quote]

You do that. But be aware the core of my attempt at a joke was in the 24 quarter tones.
We wouldn't want you to Spotify their earlier stuff, now would we? :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1452806798' post='2953767']
Yes, very much so, other parts of life do 'get in the way of' exploring all music.

Currently music falls into 3 broad categories for me. Music I like, music I don't like and music I've not listened to.

There's a lot of music I've not listened to and to be honest I doubt I'll ever make much of an indent on it
[/quote]

Very much so - I slowly try and explore new stuff, but it's impossible listen to everything, and nor should that be one's intention as far as I'm concerned...it's not Pokemon after all.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452741640' post='2953076']

I know nothing about those bands, so I can't intelligently say if I like them or not. Key phrase, " I know nothing about them"

Blue
[/quote]

Given I was talking about some of the biggest and most influential bands of all time, some might describe that as ignorance.

Funny old world, eh?

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1452787790' post='2953535']

The sosososososo guy I mentioned I can't remember. I could have a guess but I'd be very embarrassed if I got it wrong) insisted that music wasn't entertainment and that if you enjoy it you're doing it wrong. He was very quickly told just how far up his arse his head was...
[/quote]

Link please! This thread passed me by.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1452787790' post='2953535']

The sosososososo guy I mentioned earlier (whose name I can't remember. I could have a guess but I'd be very embarrassed if I got it wrong) insisted that music wasn't entertainment and that if you enjoy it you're doing it wrong. He was very quickly told just how far up his arse his head was...
[/quote]
[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1452809075' post='2953795']
Link please! This thread passed me by.
[/quote]

Inti? Accused WaterofTyne (if I recall) among others of being a clown. Charmer.

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1452640863' post='2952032']
I once auditioned for a decent little covers band called Cornerstones in Bolton
[/quote]

I'm not surprised that disliking Arctic Monkeys were a deal-breaker for them, given that "Cornerstone" is the name of one of their tracks from their third album! Personally I think they're great, but maybe that's a right time, right place kinda deal. I was a teenager when their first album came out, and it was so fresh. I guess I was exactly their target demographic, eh.

OT, I have a ton of blind spots. 80s cheese like Duran Duran and their ilk is a big one. Also, I don't think I've ever intentionally listened to a song by Elton John in my life.

I had an older brother who listened to a lot of 'classic' rock and pop stuff that I find pretty bland so I guess I heard a lot of old revered stuff that I don't really care for. To be fair he made me listen to a lot of old crud that I actually liked too. I think I probably still know all the lyrics to all of ELO's back catalogue.

I'm 41 and still buying new music and getting giddy about it. I got a great new grime album from a Manchester collective called LEVELZ the other day. It's been giving me the head nods and making me grin every day since. :)

https://soundcloud.com/levelzmcr/king-of-the-disco