Why become a member? ×

Musical blind spots

interpol52

The sad news of David Bowie losing his cancer battle got me thinking about how I hardly know anything about him or his music. That might sound odd but hear me out. I grew up in a really musical house, my mum and dad were Beatles mad, John Lennon more than Paul. My dad played guitar and was in bands for most of his life, he favoured singer songwriters like James Taylor, Janis Ian and Don McLean my mum raised us on a healthy diet of Motown, Northern Soul and acts like The Drifters and The Platters.

I consider myself to have a good all round knowledge of most of the legends of the last 60 years or so, but David Bowie is my music blind spot. I was at rehearsal last night and the guitarist knows nothing about Pink Floyd, the drummer said he had never listened to a Doors record.

Anyone else have these gaps in knowledge, especially where 'the greats' are concerned?

Edited for a grammar - as always.

Edited by interpol52

I've never heard a a whole album by either the Cure or the Smiths... The occasional tune on the radio but never a whole album... Nor by the Fall.

I have heard albums by the Doors and the Velvet Underground but only sufficient to know that I don't need to hear any more albums by them.

Edited by TrevorR

I don't so much have a gap, I have a chasm. :)

We have revered bass players mentioned here all the time and, in all honesty, I could sit next to them on a bus and not know who they were or who they've played with.

In my early days here it used to bother me a little, but not enough to feel the need to rectify it as they've probably never heard of me either. :)

Gaps for me are:-
Pink Floyd. I just them find unremittingly dull.
Bruce Springsteen, I just don't get him at all.
Not for me, thats all, nothing more. Not a hater.

Open to pretty near everything else though.
Currently listening to doom & latin soul boogaloo but not at same time! ;-)

Enjoyed the Congolese psyche funk that somebody here posted the other day.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452638067' post='2952012']
The Beatles and Elvis Presley.

I only really know the tunes that I've had to play. Maybe 20 or so. No idea what albums are which etc.
[/quote]

I'm with you on this. Some Beatles songs are OK, most not.

Elvis, never seen what the fuss was about, I maybe like the one about the cake.

I once auditioned for a decent little covers band called Cornerstones in Bolton and got the gig after a lengthy try out. Their set list at the audition was fine and they were a good bunch of lads, receptive to my ideas. They said they had a few more new ideas that they would send me.

The additional list came and it had half a dozen Arctic Monkeys songs in there. I hadn't heard them properly before, so I found them and **tried** very hard to listen to any of them all of the way through. That is the gaping chasm in my knowledge and the extreme diversity in my taste. When I asked if the songs were deal-breakers, they unfortunately said yes. With a very heavy heart I advised them to ring up the guy who came second.

This was a couple of years ago. Further attempts to listen to the Arctic Monkeys have met with the same result.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1452631859' post='2951921']
The sad news of David Bowie losing his cancer battle got me thinking about how I hardly know anything about him or his music. That might sound odd but hear me out. I grew up in a really musical house, my mum and dad were Beatles mad, John Lennon more than Paul. My dad played guitar and was in bands for most of his life, he favoured singer songwriters like James Taylor, Janis Ian and Don McLean my mum raised us on a healthy diet of Motown, Northern Soul and acts like The Drifters and The Platters.

I consider myself to have a good all round knowledge of most of the legends of the last 60 years or so, but David Bowie is my music blind spot. I was at rehearsal last night and the guitarist knows nothing about Pink Floyd, the drummer said he had never listened to a Doors record.

Anyone else these gaps in knowledge, especially where 'the greats' are concerned?
[/quote]

For us baby boomers into music,we grew up with the "greats" so it's hard for us to miss any of these artist.

David was great and was always surrounded by greats.

Blue

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452638330' post='2952015']

I'm with you on this. Some Beatles songs are OK, most not.

Elvis, never seen what the fuss was about, I maybe like the one about the cake.
[/quote]

I'm learning more and that many bass chatters have no respect for the pioneers that set the ground work for them.

For the most It's pure ignorance.

Blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452640974' post='2952033']
There are loads of genres of music I can't stand, I wouldn't call them Blindspots though. I just don't like it.
[/quote]

All this negativity is not going to get us anywhere.

You'll never hear me critizing the bands and artists of the younger generation. I'm a little more evolved than that.

So for you younger folks beating up on The Beatles and other musical pioneers, see where it gets you.

Blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452640974' post='2952033']
There are loads of genres of music I can't stand, I wouldn't call them Blindspots though. I just don't like it.
[/quote]

Do you know why you can't stand it. And I mean intellectually. Not from a mere adolescent "I just don't like it" perspective.

Blue

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452634812' post='2951963']
Rock or heavy rock.

I couldn't work out what all the fuss was with Lemmy. I thought he'd died years ago, and can only name one song, the ace of spades.
[/quote]

I couldn't name 1 Megadeath song. But I'm different, I'm evolved.

While I don't know Megadeath,I know Lemmy started the band back in the mid 70s.

Megadeath didn't mean all that much to me because it didn't matter. The reason it didn't matter was Lemmy had already sold me.

The fuss is, Lemmy was the real deal, he wasn't pretentious and had this glorious perspective on rock and roll.He seemed to be a no BS kind of guy.

C'Mon guys, get with it. Learn something about and respect history.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452653193' post='2952108']
I couldn't name 1 Megadeath song. But I'm different, I'm evolved.

While I don't know Megadeath,I know Lemmy started the band back in the mid 70s.

Megadeath didn't mean all that much to me because it didn't matter. The reason it didn't matter was Lemmy had already sold me.

The fuss is, Lemmy was the real deal, he wasn't pretentious and had this glorious perspective on rock and roll.He seemed to be a no BS kind of guy.

C'Mon guys, get with it. Learn something about and respect history.

Blue
[/quote]

I've never heard of megadeath.

It's a taste thing, and nothing to do with respect or anything else. I know for a fact, that probably 90% of what I like, most on here won't have heard of, and wouldn't like if they heard it.

I've listened to the Beatles, my parents are of that generation. They're not a band that I personally like, I do like the very occasional track, but not the band. It's the same with the Stones, though I don't actually like anything that I've heard by them. Bands from that era, the only one that I like is Pink Floyd.

This is a thread about bands and artists that people have never caught on to.

:)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452653747' post='2952110']

It's a taste thing, and nothing to do with respect or anything else.[/quote]

I say it is a matter of respect and one of the reasons your generation will never generate the amount of great musical artists as mine.

Sorry guys, I had to "dog" the OP and I did.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452654112' post='2952112']

I say it is a matter of respect and one of the reasons your generation will never generate the amount of great musical artists as mine.

Sorry guys, I had to "dog" the OP and I did.

Blue
[/quote]

What do you mean by 'dog' in this context?