Why become a member? ×

You'll Never work In This Town Again....

phil.c60

What a story. Bad luck. Some folks are just plain ignorant/disturbed/stupid and its not worth your time. If we play a dodgy venue (not often these days) we all have a chat - agree - then go to the booking person/landlord and ask if they can help (do something about it). If they say "no" we cancel all the gigs at the venue and move on.

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1452263771' post='2948231']
I think this is how it works on Jools Holland's show.
[/quote]
PMSL 😂

We always get people asking to play a guitar. Usually in the break or post-gig. Our singer used to be a lot more relaxed about it and would occasionally let someone have a go. He let someone take it outside once as we were packing away so they could serenade someone. It all changed when he bought a Martin. The first time a punter tried picking it up he kicked them up the arse.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452285015' post='2948605']
My band mates are a lot more generous than me when comes to letting anyone play my bass at my gig.

I have a simple standard response;

"No"

Works like a charm every time.

Blue
[/quote]
that's my response, someone asked if they could borrow mine after snapping their headstock off in their soundcheck... people take liberties.
i'll be honest, if some randomer rocked up on stage with one of my bands and tried to be part of it i'd tell them to get off and stop playing if they persisted

Guest bassman7755

You should think yourself lucky that your getting the obligatory mad/drunk-bloke-being-a-twat at your gigs for free, I've normally had to book one through an agency.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1452261459' post='2948192']
PITA. I always gently explain to anybody who wants to use y gear, that they aren't insured to use it.

If they persist, they are told they can use it if they sign my form and make a refundable deposit of £500 cash. Get a bit of abuse, but they only pester me once.

[/quote]

Ha thats great - I'll try that next time!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1452261459' post='2948192']
PITA. I always gently explain to anybody who wants to use y gear, that they aren't insured to use it.

If they persist, they are told they can use it if they sign my form and make a refundable deposit of £500 cash. Get a bit of abuse, but they only pester me once.

Give the gig up, just looking for grief going back imo.
[/quote]

Like this approach Karl LOL
Dave

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1452371866' post='2949407']
You know that box of odds and ends that you lug round to every gig? Keep this "mobile phone" in there against future Grubby Guys:

http://www.pantherstunguns.com/stun_guns/pretender_cell_stun.htm
[/quote]Better still, put the innards from that into a harmonica and hand it to grubby man...

Its easy.
i would have said
"If you want to play, just get a band together "
thats what we did.

Years ago a friend had a rock band and used a dildo with a thin condensor mic in it.
when ever anyone guested he would make them use that,
great prop for your niknak box ;)
next time give him that and start the song ...Have i told you lately that i love you :lol:

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1452374416' post='2949440']
Years ago a friend had a rock band and used a dildo with a thin condensor mic in it.
next time give him that and start the song ...Have i told you lately that i love you :lol:
[/quote]

Genius.

I have a stock answer for these situations ..... Usually a 3 stage resonse, the first a polite "no sorry", moving on swiftly to a straight "look, just f/ off will ya!, , which usually is enough..... The odd occaision of reaching level 3 is less verbal, slipping my bass strap off usually has them leaving.......

Note to self : Must remeber i cant walk very well any more and im not the lad i used to be, but still... Im easily excited ,especially when there are drunken idiots near my gear :) hahaha

Theres always one loon at every gig...... Part reason why i packed in pup gigs years ago.... Im a bit more patient these days though and can afford to be a little more selctive with venues....

Edited by Wonky2

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1452374416' post='2949440']
Its easy.
i would have said
"If you want to play, just get a band together "
thats what we did.

[/quote]

We had a gig where decent looking female wanted to sing. We refused, so she just grabbed a radio mic off the stand and put it where the above mic would have been intended.
She then challenged us to get it back.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1452553156' post='2951196']
We had a gig where decent looking female wanted to sing. We refused, so she just grabbed a radio mic off the stand and put it where the above mic would have been intended.
[/quote]

I hope you didn't get hurt in the stampede.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1452551224' post='2951177']
The last loon I had at a gig was a shapely drunken young lady. She hassled me for ages to be allowed to doing backing vocals. Culminating with "I'll show you my tits if you let me sing."

Her vocals weren't bad as it happened.
[/quote]

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1452553156' post='2951196']
[/quote]

hahaha..
you could of used my mates mic as a shoe horn to get it back :D
im sorry.. im sorry
i said im sorry :blush: